add a LVDS TFT screen?
Hi
If I wanted to use a TFT screen from an Android tablet and plug it into Quartz64 that I have ordered is that going to be possible?
The specs of the TFT screen are "40 pin LVDS IPS 1280x800".
Are these things fairly generic?
Will I need to get a cable from somewhere and what would I need?
thanks, DNJ

I have just realised that my question is silly. The Quartz64 has an DSI connector, not an LVDS and they aren't the same.
It that correct?
Also the Raspberry Pi has an DSI connector.
Does this mean that any screen that is designed to plug into the Pi DSI connector will also work with the Quartz64?
thanks
Ideally you'll compare the schematics of the Quartz64 with the datasheet of your DSI panel to ensure that the pinouts match. On the Quartz64 schematics, you can find the MIPI DSI pinout on sheet 33.

That being said, you won't get any video output with mainline Linux right now anyway, because we don't have a VOP2 driver.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux
I am planning to start with Android. Thanks I will have a look at the schematics.
(09-20-2021, 04:05 AM)dieselnutjob Wrote: Hi
If I wanted to use a TFT screen from an Android tablet and plug it into Quartz64 that I have ordered is that going to be possible?
The specs of the TFT screen are "40 pin LVDS IPS 1280x800".
Are these things fairly generic?
Will I need to get a cable from somewhere and what would I need?
thanks, DNJ

I have just realised that my question is silly.  The Quartz64 has an DSI connector, not an LVDS and they aren't the same.
It that correct?
Also the Raspberry Pi has an DSI connector.
Does this mean that any screen that is designed to plug into the Pi DSI connector will also work with the Quartz64?
thanks

Quartz64 model A SBC doesn't support LVDS, only MiPi-DSI and eDP.
(09-20-2021, 05:19 AM)CounterPillow Wrote: Ideally you'll compare the schematics of the Quartz64 with the datasheet of your DSI panel to ensure that the pinouts match. On the Quartz64 schematics, you can find the MIPI DSI pinout on sheet 33.

That being said, you won't get any video output with mainline Linux right now anyway, because we don't have a VOP2 driver.

any idea when the VOP2 will be coming? or the HDMI out?
(11-23-2021, 06:06 PM)keaton Wrote: any idea when the VOP2 will be coming? or the HDMI out?

There currently is a very basic and somewhat broken VOP2 driver posted to the mailing list as of only a few days ago, so the good news is that people are confirmed to be working on it. It works enough to get to a wayland compositor though.

In its current state, it has several issues. For starters, it only works on 1920x1080p60 HDMI monitors, and only on boards with 4 GB of RAM or less, due to what may be a bug in the IOMMU driver (IOMMU bug has been found and a fix has been submitted as of a few minutes ago). Internally, it's quite messy, with broken state tracking leading to various bugs (one I've observed is a kernel Oops during reboots.)

It's hard to really come up with a time frame because I have no clue how many people are working on it (I counted at least two people who are involved with it at the moment) and what other things they're working on. Your best bet is to watch the Quartz64 Development page on the wiki over the coming weeks; I'll try to keep it updated with links to the new versions of all patch sets that are not yet mainline as they are posted. As newer versions of the patch set are posted, we can get a sense for the progress it's making.

In conclusion, I can't give you a time frame but I can tell you that there's people who are working on it.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux