Some questions about Pine64 hardware in general
Hello, I recently pre-ordered one of the UBports edition PinePhones due to wanting a smartphone that wasn't locked down and reading positive reviews about the "Braveheart" version released earlier.

I saw the payment was directed to Syabas Technology in Hong Kong, although Pine Store Limited (also based in Hong Kong) handled the sale.

I did some research and Syabas Technology appears to be applinked a subsidiary of Cloud Media, which sells a range of computer hardware, including products designed specifically to work with Pine64 products. Both Cloud Media and Pine Store Limited appear to be run by the same TL Lim. My question is, does Pine64 function as a brand name for a line of hardware products produced by Syabas Technologies, or is it a (technically) independent entity that sources and sells its products directly from Syabas Technologies?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...n_general/
?
(09-15-2021, 08:35 PM)RevonCirth Wrote: Hello, I recently pre-ordered one of the UBports edition PinePhones due to wanting a smartphone that wasn't locked down and reading positive reviews about the "Braveheart" version released earlier.
I saw the payment was directed to Syabas Technology in Hong Kong, although Pine Store Limited (also based in Hong Kong) handled the sale.
I did some research and Syabas Technology appears to be a subsidiary of Cloud Media, which sells a range of computer hardware, including products designed specifically to work with Pine64 products. Both Cloud Media and Pine Store Limited appear to be run by the same TL Lim. My question is, does Pine64 function as a brand name for a line of hardware products produced by Syabas Technologies, or is it a (technically) independent entity that sources and sells its products directly from Syabas Technologies?

This is a good question to ask, and it has been asked before. Here's the answer direct from Luke (who seems to be the PR guy for Pine64 in general):

Syabas Tech. is effectively a conglomerate of TL's companies. Some of these companies are pretty standard businesses with stakeholders, redistributor chains, etc. Syabas Tech. has an extensive network of partners, offices as well as a R&D unit (in Malaysia), which are at the disposal of the companies.
PINE64 is different from the other businesses because, well, it is a a not for profit organization and PINE Store (separate entity from Syabas Tech) has authority over revenue made from PINE64 gear. For those who do not know, money from sales of PINE64 gear is funneled directly into new hardware projects. Most devices, such as Pinebook Pros, Pinebooks or PineTabs, are sold at no profit. The PinePhone has an inbuilt profit margin, but the money ($10 per unit) is donated to developers or community endeveours. SBCs have a profit margin.
PINE64 obviously takes advantage of Sybas Tech R&D, connections (e.g. factories), logistics, shipping, etc. to subsidize everything that's related to delivering a product.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to connect to Pine64 IRC channel due to certificate error? Must-Borrow 1 242 03-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Must-Borrow
  hardware updates ??? aular 0 183 03-05-2024, 08:28 PM
Last Post: aular
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 276 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Im thinking of building a Pine64 cluster Theirat1991 2 414 01-17-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: damiarobber
  PINE64 EU / Disappointment yoriel79 1 748 12-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: meekice
  How is it going Pine64.org? Corfromleuven 2 927 12-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: polinkuer12
  Registering my 'nick' on Pine64's IRC network diederik 5 1,069 11-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ilebagels
  pine64 opensource dumbphone Phie 13 3,528 08-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Phie
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  Star64 questions tantamount 3 1,259 05-20-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: tantamount