Mobian MMS/SMS text problem
(10-26-2021, 02:15 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 01:50 PM)calinb Wrote: I could re-flash modem firmware (maybe try .002, which I've never used) but why would it now be corrupt after months of solid functional behavior?

Just a few days ago I had a problem where suddenly without having made any changes or installing any updates my modem was coming up as "not ready" when booting Mobian bookwork from the eMMC. That day it worked fine in the morning. When I switched the phone back on later in the afternoon it stopped working for no apparent reason. It did work though booting from SD card. So I restored an image backup from a few weeks ago to the eMMC and it's working again. (For what it's worth I'm using the "002" modem firmware.)

Why? Who knows. I've been working in the computer industry for over 40 years and have found there are some times when it comes to figuring out a crazy problem you might just as well light some candles and incense, and throw sticks up in the air over a pentagram for an answer. Maybe a cosmic ray flipped a bit somewhere, or maybe the bit gods were just having a bit of fun.

So here's my strange update. I never update any OS on the Megi Multi-distro boot and I've used most of them to test SMS in the past. After SMS broke (in both Modem-Manager-GUI and Chatty), I tried Multi-distro Mobian and Manjaro Phosh and both of them were no-joy now. Then I tried Multi-distro Arch deemurrs and my backlog of SMS texts came flooding into Chatty!

So let's blame all this stuff on alpha particle memory hits and candles, incense, runes and sticks are just as effective as anything else!

Next, I'll archive my current Bookworm from eMMC and then restore an older archive of it and see what happens.

I was in the computer industry for over 40 years too, except for the break I took from it for a few years while I worked as an airline pilot, but I returned to computers and electrical engineering, post-9/11 after the HSA and TSA took all the joy out of flying. I'm happy that I'm not in the tech biz now. Lockdowns and mandates have taken the joy out of it too and I would quit (or get fired for non-compliance) from any tech job in an instant. "Your health is your wealth" and mandates are not healthy for an any economy, psyche or physiology.

Update:

I shutdown the Multi-Distro Arch deemurrs system that finally received my backlog of inbound SMS texts, then I booted to eMMC Bookworm. When I sent a new test SMS from another device, Bookworm Chatty promptly received it!

Maybe a dance and chant will help to bring it back quicker next time. It's very much like the flakiness you've experienced, Zebulon Walton.
My Manjaro phone and my 3 PMOS phones all have the same modem firmware number, ending in ... 2g

The only times I have had any issues that I noticed, I attribute to OS problems.

They are all working at the moment... (cross my fingers) hopefully they continue to.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Having the same issue plus my microphone isn't working now. I flashed the new build of Phosh postmarketos and the issue persists. I can get calls, I can hear the other person but my microphone function is not working. Settings during the call seem normal. I get a microphone level when I have the power plugged in but nothing when the power is unplugged etc. I am still unable to receive sms. This happened after I changed sim cards, Idk if that means anything. I tried to download the modem manager gui, how did you all get it to work? It doesn't show up in the software store for me.
(11-28-2021, 04:17 PM)cosmicschock Wrote: Having the same issue plus my microphone isn't working now. I flashed the new build of Phosh postmarketos and the issue persists. I can get calls, I can hear the other person but my microphone function is not working. Settings during the call seem normal. I get a microphone level when I have the power plugged in but nothing when the power is unplugged etc. I am still unable to receive sms. This happened after I changed sim cards, Idk if that means anything. I tried to download the modem manager gui, how did you all get it to work? It doesn't show up in the software store for me.

use the seach function in the Mobian Software Store put in :  Modem Manager GUI  >  'Enter'

it will return showing this app.  then install from there.

Note :  when using Modem Manager :  to close it,  the 'up-sweep' will not close it.

You must first click 'Actions' at the top left,  ...  Then click  'quit'
(11-30-2021, 10:03 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 04:17 PM)cosmicschock Wrote: Having the same issue plus my microphone isn't working now. I flashed the new build of Phosh postmarketos and the issue persists. I can get calls, I can hear the other person but my microphone function is not working. Settings during the call seem normal. I get a microphone level when I have the power plugged in but nothing when the power is unplugged etc. I am still unable to receive sms. This happened after I changed sim cards, Idk if that means anything. I tried to download the modem manager gui, how did you all get it to work? It doesn't show up in the software store for me.

use the seach function in the Mobian Software Store put in :  Modem Manager GUI  >  'Enter'

it will return showing this app.  then install from there.

Note :  when using Modem Manager :  to close it,  the 'up-sweep' will not close it.

You must first click 'Actions' at the top left,  ...  Then click  'quit'

Ahhh I am on Postmarket OS, a search for modem manager yields nothing in the software store.
Then perhaps add Gnome pkg manager, that will have Modem Manager and more,

This is a Mobian thread
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,906 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM