Bookworm
(02-27-2022, 04:18 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(02-26-2022, 07:50 AM)Hobbes42 Wrote: Currently enjoying all the hard work people are putting into Mobian. 
Trying to update via GUI and also via command line, but I keep getting
"Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13 Permission denied)
Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend) , are you root?"

What to do?

That depends :
How much do you have invested into your current installation ?
I have encountered updating problems as well,  I am going to put the Febuary 27 weekly on one of my test phones

If that FLIES :    I will follow with my full time Pine phone,  I don't keep much on my phone,  so just transfer the contacts, and I'm good to go with a fresh flash.
I just flashed the 27 february weekly installer and still having that error a few times when trying to update, other times it works as expected.
(02-26-2022, 10:33 AM)user641 Wrote:
(02-26-2022, 07:50 AM)Hobbes42 Wrote: Currently enjoying all the hard work people are putting into Mobian. 
Trying to update via GUI and also via command line, but I keep getting
"Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13 Permission denied)
Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend) , are you root?"

What to do?

I get that sometimes, I believe it happens the system is running an update on the background(please correct me if I am wrong). But usually waiting a bit and running sudo apt update again works for me.

That's exactly.
Wait some Seconds or repeat your Command until it works.
Works for me allways :-)

Ciao
Walter
Thank you! It worked.
Now I'm getting the response that "the following packages have been held back" and when in GUI it reads that there is an unmet dependency.

What to do?
(02-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Hobbes42 Wrote: Thank you! It worked.
Now I'm getting the response that "the following packages have been held back" and when in GUI it reads that there is an unmet dependency.

What to do?

Bit of advice, if packages are being held back don't mess with it. It will get sorted out soon enough but every time someone tries to continue upgrading the held back package it breaks the system/package. So just leave it and if it is still there on Wednesday, probably ask in the Matrix chat.
(02-27-2022, 05:51 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:

What to do?

Bit of advice, if packages are being held back don't mess with it. It will get sorted out soon enough but every time someone tries to continue upgrading the held back package it breaks the system/package. So just leave it and if it is still there on Wednesday, probably ask in the Matrix chat.

Thank you!
(02-27-2022, 06:00 PM)Hobbes42 Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 05:51 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:

What to do?

Thank you!
Absolutely! I have seen it a few times where people go in the matrix chat and are like "I forced this upgrade and now X doesn't work", so just be careful of it.
Getting "unmet dependencies" when trying to update.

Any advice?
I just flashed the most recent release March 06, 2022

updates are working again on this release.  Exclamation    Big Grin

But I do hope they do a new release as scheduled tomorrow, March 20, 2022
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Reflashed with the March 6, coming along so great!

May be a side topic, but whats the best way to install the signal client at the moment?
A standard Debian release upgade worked a charm for me from bullseye to bookworm on my pinephone.  Even my LUKS full disk encryption survived perfectly!

The steps I followed were:

- ssh in
- replace "bullseye" with "bookworm" in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mobian.list
- run the standard debian upgrade commands:
apt update
apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs
apt full-upgrade
reboot

I accepted all the defaults to the questions it threw at me, and the new package maintainer config file for any files that reported changed.

After all was said and done I rebooted and everything worked, even my encryption password at boot.

The only thing that didn't work was the i2c-dev line I'd added to /etc/modules to make my keyboard case work, I had to manually re-enable that line.  Everything else worked perfectly!  Great stuff, so smooth.... thank you to the devs for your hard work!

Disclaimer: I'm only using this like a laptop for now with the keyboard case, I don't have a SIM in it to make calls or SMS etc.  It is my daily driver I take everywhere with me though (in case something blows up and I need a secure device to fix it from).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,904 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,476 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,007 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 9,802 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,442 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 864 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,359 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,303 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,413 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz