Bookworm
(09-15-2021, 08:22 AM)hinton.s.b Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 12:54 AM)ryo Wrote: I'm updating to Bookworm.
One question though, why does it take forever to update initramfs?
I started the update at 9:00 in the morning, and it got up to "update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13-sunxi64" at 99% a few minutes later.
It's almost 16:00 now, and "update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13-sunxi64" is still at 99%.

I just made the switch to bookworm from an older bullseye install 2 days ago. Everything was installed within 30-45 minutes. My PP is the UBports edition with the upgraded motherboard, Mobian running on SD card.

An entire day has passed, and it's still "generating" at 99%.
Last time I canceled that update pretty much destroyed the OS though.

Edit:
Went ahead and killed the update process, removed the lock files, and did a "sudo dpkg --configure -a".
Now it finished "generating" after just a few minutes.
Wish I had thought of doing so before though.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(09-15-2021, 04:15 PM)ryo Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:22 AM)hinton.s.b Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 12:54 AM)ryo Wrote: I'm updating to Bookworm.
One question though, why does it take forever to update initramfs?
I started the update at 9:00 in the morning, and it got up to "update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13-sunxi64" at 99% a few minutes later.
It's almost 16:00 now, and "update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13-sunxi64" is still at 99%.

I just made the switch to bookworm from an older bullseye install 2 days ago. Everything was installed within 30-45 minutes. My PP is the UBports edition with the upgraded motherboard, Mobian running on SD card.

An entire day has passed, and it's still "generating" at 99%.
Last time I canceled that update pretty much destroyed the OS though.

Edit:
Went ahead and killed the update process, removed the lock files, and did a "sudo dpkg --configure -a".
Now it finished "generating" after just a few minutes.
Wish I had thought of doing so before though.

At least it worked! I hate being in that position where if you cancel something it is likely to break your system but it is also taking hours when it should take minutes.
Just a Note, or observation,
  I have noticed when Mobian is in "Deep Sleep"

If you give the power button a quick jab,  nothing  '"appears to happen"'.

BUT  then wait about 4 seconds and try again,  and your lock screen will appear quickly.

While it does appear to start almost instantly when a call or a new text comes in.

Starting from deep sleep using the power button can take a few seconds.

So don't keep jabbing or holding the power button,  you may actually damage your installation, (then you would scream faulty software)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
One thing that would be nice to see is if the Mobian team finally gets makes it so that the Phosh doesn't immediately ask to type your password right after booting up and putting your lock screen PIN, simply because the keyboard icon doesn't exist on the app drawer, and there's no way to activate it until you somehow close the drawer.
Because right now I have to cancel it, launch a random app, and quickly tab the keyboard icon before the password popup shows up again.

They could add a keyboard icon on the app drawer, because the search bar is literally meaningless if there's absolutely no way of getting the keyboard to show up in the app drawer.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
*** Just touch the search box,... and the keyboard will 'pop-up'
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
The deep sleep function IS improving,  my phone stays stone cold when it is in "deep sleep".

But it does require the first power button touch,  ... And then a second touch,  about 4 seconds later, ...  > the 'second touch' brings up the lock screen.

Incoming calls give an answer button on the screen almost instantly.

Incoming texts bring up the start of the text message very quickly, ... and the lock screen.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-18-2021, 10:15 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ***    Just touch the search box,...  and  the keyboard will  'pop-up'

It doesn't.
I can tap all day, and it would never show up.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(09-20-2021, 06:29 AM)ryo Wrote: I can tap all day, and it would never show up.

I have the opposite problem. If I accidentally tap the search box the keyboard pops up taking up 1/2 the screen and since there's no keyboard control icon in the lower right-hand corner I don't see an obvious way to get rid of it.
RYO :
have you made any other OS modifications that could effect the display/ desktop ?
I have added some app's but I have not changed anything on the operating system itself.
Just touching the 'search box' brings up the keyboard on any of the OS'es that I have played with.

Zeb :
I just open and close any app.. that causes the keyboard to drop off the screen.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Not every Nightly works "Out of the Box" 

It is surprising that most of them do actually just work outta the box.

I do not understand why so many people will "cry" when they try one system and it does not act like an iphone or a Google phone ?

I have almost always been able to find a working system for my "Daily Driver phone"  and I have zero skill with terminal or command line stuff.

To have a working Pine phone is not that hard,  ether you  "have some geek skills"  OR   you  "exert some serious effort"  and read a lot of  "Forum Posts."

My having multiple Pine phones does help me to a point, but I do have to spend a lot of time trying many of the different operating systems.

As the Pine Phone Store says the Pine phone is for "Developers and Enthusiasts"

I consider myself an Enthusiast !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,864 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,277 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,546 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,165 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,085 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,509 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 893 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,622 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,454 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,469 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz