Limiting battery charging to some percentage
Some conversation in IRC reminded me that I have been limiting my battery charging (on Android) to 68-70% for some time now, ever since I did some research that this probably extends battery life.

My question here is not to debate the merits of this (plenty discussions of that elsewhere) but rather, how to implement that on Debian (Mobian)?  The guy I was chatting with in IRC rattled off some stuff, but I did not catch nor understand most of it.  And they were not specific directions anyway (rather some generalities).

If no one knows offhand, I will eventually research it and post back what I find.

Maybe eventually I make some little app to handle the settings (see link in sig about making Phosh app in 10 min).  No promises.   Wink
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
/sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery/voltage_max_design

https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/danctnix-tweaks
Thanks for the tip!

Why do I feel like that is some hardware parameter you are supposed to set, depending on the actual battery specifications?

And if that's true, in other words there is no direct way to do what I want, so I will have to fool around with out of (actual) spec values for battery charging.

Or maybe I am just misunderstanding. I guess I need to read up on kernel docs in this area, in order to better understand what is going on...

I did have a look around in that subtree of the file system, interesting stuff in there... I knew something like that probably did exist!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(07-18-2021, 05:53 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Some conversation in IRC reminded me that I have been limiting my battery charging (on Android) to 68-70% for some time now, ever since I did some research that this probably extends battery life.

My question here is not to debate the merits of this (plenty discussions of that elsewhere) but rather, how to implement that on Debian (Mobian)?  The guy I was chatting with in IRC rattled off some stuff, but I did not catch nor understand most of it.  And they were not specific directions anyway (rather some generalities).

If no one knows offhand, I will eventually research it and post back what I find.

Maybe eventually I make some little app to handle the settings (see link in sig about making Phosh app in 10 min).  No promises.   Wink

I would be curious what megous (spelling?) would have to say ?

Unfortunately if you ask 100 people, you will quite likely get 100 different answers.

There must have been some research put into this for the Pine phone, and matching it up to use an existing Samsung battery.

Being operated by software one must realize that when the read-out says 100%   that means 100% of what value the software writer has written.

That could be 60%   or  120%  of what the battery manufacturer recommends. 

For most phone users, you know to charge it when it says 10%  or it is ready to take off the charger when it reads 100%.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,104 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Possible solutions to the battery draining issue? 3x5co 5 2,258 11-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Will this battery-saving script cause problems? rp3 1 1,131 08-28-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: biketool
  Battery Management jsch 4 1,953 07-27-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: jsch
  Increasing max voltage to use a bigger battery SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 4 3,807 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Last Post: wibble
Bug Wake up from charging problem j4n3z 11 9,176 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: j4n3z
  Possible fix for lousy standby battery life? bitnick 5 5,064 02-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Manjaro convergence edition (3GB) charging/power issue Saliency 1 2,342 11-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Saliency
  Tweak for charging through USB3 ? cafe 2 3,161 11-13-2020, 05:22 AM
Last Post: cafe
Sad battery usage HLing 3 4,491 08-29-2020, 06:04 AM
Last Post: User 18618