DOA Board? "UNSUPPORTED VIDEO"
I have tried MULTIPLE OS (Android, ReMix, Ubuntu) on the SD card, and multiple HDMI cables...AND MULTIPLE HDMI MONITORS/TVs, and I get the same thing every time.

Red Light comes on, and the monitor seems to attempt to recognize the signal coming in, then immediately gives it whatever each monitors version of "Unsupported Mode" might be...

Since it's not saying "No Signal", it seems like the board is trying to do something, but I think you'll all agree that the Pine64 is not particularly useful without video output.

Any thoughts?  I guess I'm getting worried because it seems like there's very little of this project that wasn't subject to large quality issues (whether product-related or service)
Can you post some more specifics of your setup? Link the image you wrote to the card and with what tool you did. What power supply are you using, is your HDMI display HDCP capable and can do 1080P?
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-19-2016, 02:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Can you post some more specifics of your setup? Link the image you wrote to the card and with what tool you did. What power supply are you using, is your HDMI display HDCP capable and can do 1080P?

Sure - and thanks, Xalius

I will state right off the bat that I can't help you much with the question "the image you wrote to the card" because I have used MULTIPLE tools to try MULTIPLE images.

The power supply that I am using was ordered with the unit from Pine64...let me just say right now that if using the Pine64-supplied power supply is causing a problem with the Pine64 board here I'm probably done here Smile

Could I suggest an alternative approach?  I'll just start by saying I have no huge agenda/strategy for this card, so if someone would provide me with URLs NOT to the Wiki, but actual URLs to an IMAGE TOOL and an OS that you know work together, I will just do THAT...because at least then I can check OS/Tool off the list.  If I use a 'known good' combination of tool and OS, and it still shows nothing, I have data to go on.

Part of the early frustration was the number of seemingly 'official' and EXTREMELY similar looking sites for tools and builds.

EDIT: And yes, I have tried multiple displays including my Sharp Aquos that handles HDMI@1080....Not sure if this helps, but when the Pine is connected to one of the HDMI ports, the television seems to indicate that there IS something there, and it displays HDMI: 1080p ...but nothing ever shows

Thanks,
(06-19-2016, 03:07 PM)phloog Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 02:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Can you post some more specifics of your setup? Link the image you wrote to the card and with what tool you did. What power supply are you using, is your HDMI display HDCP capable and can do 1080P?

I will state right off the bat that I can't help you much with the question "the image you wrote to the card" because I have used MULTIPLE tools to try MULTIPLE images.

The power supply that I am using was ordered with the unit from Pine64...let me just say right now that if using the Pine64-supplied power supply is causing a problem with the Pine64 board here I'm probably done here Smile

Could I suggest an alternative approach?  I'll just start by saying I have no huge agenda/strategy for this card, so if someone would provide me with URLs NOT to the Wiki, but actual URLs to an IMAGE TOOL and an OS that you know work together, I will just do THAT...because at least then I can check OS/Tool off the list.  If I use a 'known good' combination of tool and OS, and it still shows nothing, I have data to go on.

Part of the early frustration was the number of seemingly 'official' and EXTREMELY similar looking sites for tools and builds.

EDIT:  And yes, I have tried multiple displays including my Sharp Aquos that handles HDMI@1080....Not sure if this helps, but when the Pine is connected to one of the HDMI ports, the television seems to indicate that there IS something there, and it displays HDMI: 1080p ...but nothing ever shows

Thanks,

Ok let me try :-)

I can attest that at least the power supply I got with my Pine works perfectly well, even under full load.

As for images, your safest bet may be to try the Ubuntu image I run that longsleep provides with his kernel.

I have used win32diskimager to write it to my sdcard and it works on the two boards I have:

Ubuntu Xenial Thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376

from there the current image is:

https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...7-1.img.xz

if you use windows you can use 7zip (which is free as in beer) to extract the image from the .xz archive

once you have the .img file, use https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ to write the image

Plug the card into the Pine and hook it up with your TV or Monitor which has to support 1080p .

if you see a login prompt:

User: ubuntu
Password: ubuntu

login and report back :-)

EDIT:  And yes, I have tried multiple displays including my Sharp Aquos that handles HDMI@1080....Not sure if this helps, but when the Pine is connected to one of the HDMI ports, the television seems to indicate that there IS something there, and it displays HDMI: 1080p ...but nothing ever shows

Thanks,

PhoenixCard software:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cEs0l...sp=sharing
PhoenixCard Android image:
http://files.pine64.org/os/android/andro...ixCard.zip
Remember to select 'Startup!' in Write Mode setting.

Win32DiskImager software (choose the .exe file at the top):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32di...s/Archive/
Win32DiskImager Android image:
http://files.pine64.org/os/android/andro...64-8GB.zip

Try those out.
(06-19-2016, 04:13 PM)Ghost Wrote:

PhoenixCard software:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cEs0l...sp=sharing
PhoenixCard Android image:
http://files.pine64.org/os/android/andro...ixCard.zip
Remember to select 'Startup!' in Write Mode setting.

Win32DiskImager software (choose the .exe file at the top):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32di...s/Archive/
Win32DiskImager Android image:
http://files.pine64.org/os/android/andro...64-8GB.zip

Try those out.
I will edit this post to indicate the trials and successes...

Try 1: Phoenix Card Software (first link) and ANDROID image (Second Link) - - -STARTUP checkbox selected.
Try 1 Burn successful.

Connected to Aquos...SUCCESS?????

I get the Allwinner logo / Android splash screen ....sat there for four minutes and nothing changed.

Plugged in keyboard (Lenovo USB) and Mouse (USB / Optical) - - - waited...no change..just splash.

Powered whole thing down, then started it again with KB/Mouse connected...same thing...splash screen forever.

So if I'm looking for a slick splash screen I'm in business, but it at least looks like with that specific image and that card software I have video out.

Should it take a long time...should I just leave it connected for....how long?  Or should (as I suspect) the splash screen only appear for a few moments?
First boot, splash screen will stay there for 10 - 15 minutes whilst software is initializing. Subsequent boots take around a minute or so.

Not sure if turning off during that initialization process will have corrupted the data on the microSD card or not.
(06-19-2016, 04:43 PM)Ghost Wrote: First boot, splash screen will stay there for 10 - 15 minutes whilst software is initializing. Subsequent boots take around a minute or so.

Not sure if turning off during that initialization process will have corrupted the data on the microSD card or not.

2nd try with Phoenix Card and Android Phoenix Card version...

Is it okay to have mouse/KB connected during this initial startup, or should it have NOTHING connected by power and video?

Thanks again
Okay...after 35 minutes gave up on that boot of Android...I took the SD card and completely reimaged it with Android....same thing - -  35 minutes of splash screen and I gave up.

Went to Try 2 since Android was a failure

ReMix OS DID boot, and I was able to move around and such...I guess I'm going to stick with that for now, BUT the edges of the screen extend past my television - -not sure if that's my Pine or my TV.

Off to look for info on adjusting screen in Pine/Remix -- Have I heard right that there is no scrap edge on Remix yet?

JT
(06-19-2016, 06:52 PM)phloog Wrote: Okay...after 35 minutes gave up on that boot of Android...I took the SD card and completely reimaged it with Android....same thing - -  35 minutes of splash screen and I gave up.

Went to Try 2 since Android was a failure

ReMix OS DID boot, and I was able to move around and such...I guess I'm going to stick with that for now, BUT the edges of the screen extend past my television - -not sure if that's my Pine or my TV.

Off to look for info on adjusting screen in Pine/Remix -- Have I heard right that there is no scrap edge on Remix yet?

JT

Since the Pine outputs one fixed resolution, thats something you have to adjust on your TV. For my Philips it was in the autoscaling menu...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOQUARTZ Compute module W does not fit Raspberry Pi CM4 dev board ihab 0 1,485 10-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ihab
  Video conferencing aproject oxoocoffee 1 2,989 03-31-2020, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Install OS on RAID1 thanks to dual SATA board? Thatoo 12 15,171 05-15-2019, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Thatoo
  My first Single Board! jjh221 4 6,626 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jjh221
  sopine cluster board install Smurfbot 1 4,316 03-31-2018, 04:09 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  What is the format that one should use for imaging SD cards on APINE64+2GB Board? Doryan 1 3,453 03-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Which board to use? Dayve 0 2,246 02-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Dayve
  Kodi on Rock64 board cenguix 2 8,758 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
  What are these pins on PIN board? dims 1 3,193 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Luke
  red led + cat5 lights but noshow on DHCP list, no video mckenna.tim 1 3,757 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Luke