Will the Pinephone become a supported device ?
Hello,

I have read in various forums / Twitter that Jolla and Pine64 have entered into a cooperation or that devices have been shipped.
Is there any news if the Pinephone will be a supported device at Jolla? Or will it remain a community device.

Surprisingly, the Pinephone runs very smoothly with Sailfish OS 4.
Apart from the well-known modem problem that affects all OSes, the rest runs stably.

Thanks to the community for their hard work.

A statement from Pine64 would be great here.

with friendly greetings
Steffen
(07-02-2021, 12:06 AM)OhneZ Wrote: Hello,

I have read in various forums / Twitter that Jolla and Pine64 have entered into a cooperation or that devices have been shipped.
Is there any news if the Pinephone will be a supported device at Jolla? Or will it remain a community device.

Surprisingly, the Pinephone runs very smoothly with Sailfish OS 4.
Apart from the well-known modem problem that affects all OSes, the rest runs stably.

Thanks to the community for their hard work.

A statement from Pine64 would be great here.

with friendly greetings
Steffen
Great question, I also remember seeing something about Jolla making a statement about the PinePhone but I can't seem to find it now. Either way it would be nice but I would also be very surprised. It seems like there hasn't been a real update for Sailfish on the PinePhone for several months? Unless I am missing something. Last couple of times I used Sailfish my phone wouldn't even charge so I stopped booting into it. Until any OS is able to send MMS though it doesn't matter because I need that support before I can use it as a daily driver so for the time being my PinePhone is basically a paper weight that I boot up once a month to see what has changed on Mobian and UT (though UT is virtually the same as when I got the phone a year ago...).
(07-02-2021, 10:22 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: Great question, I also remember seeing something about Jolla making a statement about the PinePhone but I can't seem to find it now. Either way it would be nice but I would also be very surprised. It seems like there hasn't been a real update for Sailfish on the PinePhone for several months? Unless I am missing something. Last couple of times I used Sailfish my phone wouldn't even charge so I stopped booting into it. Until any OS is able to send MMS though it doesn't matter because I need that support before I can use it as a daily driver so for the time being my PinePhone is basically a paper weight that I boot up once a month to see what has changed on Mobian and UT (though UT is virtually the same as when I got the phone a year ago...).
Last time (recently) I tried Sailfish OS, I wasn't able to keep the phone charged. My workaround, which wasn't great was just use a jumpdrive sd card as a way to make it charge regardless. If you plug in a jumpdrive sd card while your phone is out of juice it will try to charge where as sailfish os currently doesn't do that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone keyboard with Sailfish fn-keys idc 1 1,166 01-28-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: idc
  PinePhone versus Sailfish (Sony/Jolla) richieeee 10 9,046 07-10-2021, 04:18 AM
Last Post: acrux
  Sailfish still supported? Mangled 4 5,797 02-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Mangled