Screen/Screen Protector Whitening Issue
Hello Everyone

This isn't a big issue as yet, but I thought I'd just mention it as it seems to be getting worse. I bought a Pinephone about a year ago and it came with a screen protector. I haven't had any problems with it until recently - It seems that the adhesive holding the screen protector to the screen is starting to streak. At least, I think it's the screen protector adhesive. All the whitening is occurring on the display edges, rather than the edges of the protector, as can barely be seen in my grainy photo attached. As such, I'm not sure if this might be an issue with the screen itself, but the whitening is not visible when there is a display image at these whitening sites.

I suspect that it may be something to do with prolonged heat generation from the modem/processor as the position of this whitening and the observation of it's periods of greatest growth coinciding with prolonged heat (usually from video playback). I would be curious; has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, were you able to find the cause? Also, were there any steps you took to arrest the growth of these white patches and/or ameliorate what was seen?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i'd say this looks like the screen damaged which affects many pinephones. The screen front panels disassembles frome the LCD panel, because they are not glued together in a very durable way, as far as I understood the case.
Apologies, I suspect english is not your first language. I didn't quite understand your response. Could you clarify what you meant by "The screen front panels disassembles frome the LCD panel." Are you saying that the screen itself detaches from the phone, the screen protector detaches from teh phone or that layers of the screen are peeling off?

In any case, is there a way to fix this that you are aware of?
(06-28-2021, 12:25 AM)adjf873_n-s Wrote: Apologies, I suspect english is not your first language. I didn't quite understand your response. Could you clarify what you meant by "The screen front panels disassembles frome the LCD panel." Are you saying that the screen itself detaches from the phone, the screen protector detaches from teh phone or that layers of the screen are peeling off?

The screen as you see it has multiple layers which are separating. There is a long thread dedicated to this issue, unfortunately so far without any response from Pine64 nor any solution to the issue except for trying to keep temperatures under control (the root cause is unknown so far though, heat just seems plausible). Judging from your photo you might have the same problem. In that case it has nothing to do with the screen protector.
(06-28-2021, 12:25 AM)adjf873_n-s Wrote: Apologies, I suspect english is not your first language. I didn't quite understand your response. Could you clarify what you meant by "The screen front panels disassembles frome the LCD panel." Are you saying that the screen itself detaches from the phone, the screen protector detaches from teh phone or that layers of the screen are peeling off?

yes exactly, I wanted to point you to the thread @kqlnut has linked already, as I think this might be your issue, and yes, english is not my first language ;(
You are certainly not alone in making this observation. I've had a Pinephone since 2020, and have the "whitening" you've described along the top edge, and the upper right and left edges of the screen.
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin
Hey guys, thanks for responding. Sorry I haven't responded in a while. Indeed, it would seem that the issue is heat related. Considering where the lines are emerging, though, I suspect it isn't as simple as that. It may be that the heat function around the edge of the cpu, etc is seeing some local maxima, but I would expect to see some more growth into the centre of the screen. Anyway, thanks for attaching the link.

Also, to @Uturn thanks for clarifying.

By the way, Since I last posted, it has gotten worse, but not appreciably so

Hey guys, thanks for responding. Sorry I haven't responded in a while. Indeed, it would seem that the issue is heat related. Considering where the lines are emerging, though, I suspect it isn't as simple as that. It may be that the heat function around the edge of the cpu, etc is seeing some local maxima, but I would expect to see some more growth into the centre of the screen. Anyway, thanks for attaching the link.

Also, to @Uturn thanks for clarifying.

By the way, Since I last posted, it has gotten worse, but not appreciably so

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Keyboard issue GoldenArches 0 822 12-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Last Post: GoldenArches
  A Pinephone case that'll actually prevent the screen from cracking mil 24 15,963 11-18-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: mil
  PinePhone keyboard number key row issue - solution 33YN2 16 16,245 01-31-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 33YN2
  How to Disable on-screen Keyboard? dgiffin 4 3,852 01-20-2022, 09:02 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Screen protector. jbloodwo 10 9,526 12-22-2021, 05:21 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
  PinePhone Screen Csanderson0313 7 5,231 11-14-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Pine phone Screen Protectors bcnaz 24 30,480 12-10-2020, 06:17 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Non-reflective (anti-glare) screen suggestions? mil 2 3,487 11-18-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Raniyah
  Screen shuts off when convergence dock plugged in Lodj 1 2,940 09-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Lodj
  Which dock for dual HDMI screen Siltaar 6 6,755 08-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Last Post: tllim