Inbound SMS still broken?
Anyone know if there is a fix coming soon for the broken inbound SMS issue using the default chat app on Mobian? I tested it last week and it still was happening with the latest updates. Inbound used to work months ago just fine. I was using it a lot.
(06-22-2021, 04:41 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Anyone know if there is a fix coming soon for the broken inbound SMS issue using the default chat app on Mobian? I tested it last week and it still was happening with the latest updates. Inbound used to work months ago just fine. I was using it a lot.
Works here (getting a SMS every few days). Mobian with all available updates (stable). Seems not to be a 'general problem'? Sad
Perhaps someone tried to sent you an MMS and 'blocked' your Pinephone modem with it? (There are infos about this issue here on the forum and Pinephone wikis.)
(06-23-2021, 08:30 AM)dante404 Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 04:41 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Anyone know if there is a fix coming soon for the broken inbound SMS issue using the default chat app on Mobian? I tested it last week and it still was happening with the latest updates. Inbound used to work months ago just fine. I was using it a lot.
Works here (getting a SMS every few days). Mobian with all available updates (stable). Seems not to be a 'general problem'? Sad
Perhaps someone tried to sent you an MMS and 'blocked' your Pinephone modem with it? (There are infos about this issue here on the forum and Pinephone wikis.)
Receiving is OK here, *sending* isn't working for a couple of months.
(06-24-2021, 01:33 AM)Maus Wrote: Receiving is OK here, *sending* isn't working for a couple of months.

That's strange Sad Sad  , just tested sending SMS today, also still works here (Congstar, german mobile provider).
(06-24-2021, 03:32 PM)dante404 Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 01:33 AM)Maus Wrote: Receiving is OK here, *sending* isn't working for a couple of months.

That's strange Sad Sad  , just tested sending SMS today, also still works here (Congstar, german mobile provider).

Indeed, strange. I just tested a German Telefónica Moviles MVNO SIM in a different phone, sending and receiving text messages worked OK. Then I put that SIM into the pinephone, booted into a fully updated Mobian, unlocked the SIM into network ID 26203, tried to send a text message with Chatty. Chatty reported a green checkmark, but replaced that with a red cross a couple of seconds later. Receiving text messages worked without problems, though!

Then I tried to send a message via mmcli:
Code:
root@pine:~# mmcli -s 1
  -----------------------------
  General    |       dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/1
  Content    |          number: +44xxxxxxxxxx
             |            text: Irrelevant example text
  Properties |        pdu type: submit
             |           state: stored
             |         storage: sm
             | delivery report: requested
root@pine:~# mmcli -s 1 --send
error: couldn't send the SMS: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.Error.Core.Timeout: QMI operation failed: Transaction timed out'

So I fail to send, @pagesix1536 fails to receive text messages with Mobian on the Pinephone.

That happens with most Distro's  not just Mobian

It is a known problem in the modem software or firmware,  it cannot yet process MMS text messages, so it tends to plug the cache.

You must clear the cache.  This is mentioned in several other threads as well.

Since I don't do well using CLI methods,  I simply install the  'Modem Manager GUI'  app from the onboard software store.

Then you can clear out all these texts by using this app...  Then 'Reboot'  and you should again receive your sms texts. 

Good Luck  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I have not received inbound SMS for about 6 weeks.  Updated my SIM card to the latest from T-Mobile, still have not received any inbound SMS texts in about 6 weeks.  All updates to the Mobian O/S have been applied and have received 2 Chat (Chatty App) updates since this issue developed and the updates do NOT fix my inbound SMS issues. 

Anyone have a solution? 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
(08-16-2021, 12:01 AM)rrholmes Wrote: I have not received inbound SMS for about 6 weeks... Anyone have a solution? 

You did read the post just above yours, tried the suggested fix and still no success? Smile
When the MMS text plugs the modem, it is in the firmware, so even changing the operating system will not unplug the modem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SMS recieving broken? :( dante404 3 1,308 02-28-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Epiphany browser broken after webkit packages upgrade user641 0 800 04-15-2022, 05:20 AM
Last Post: user641
  Suspend broken on the pp user641 0 806 04-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: user641
  after dist-upgrade, terminal is broken nelstomlinson 9 5,606 09-09-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson