I'm unable to open downloaded programs
I just got my pinebook pro. I've downloaded two different programs through the repository but am unable to get them to open. I'm not new to Linux but I've tried everything I know to no avail. The two programs were the gufw firewall and the hp device manager. I had already downloaded the cups hplip program. Help.
(06-06-2021, 04:17 PM)hayduke Wrote: I just got my pinebook pro. I've downloaded two different programs through the repository but am unable to get them to open. I'm not new to Linux but I've tried everything I know to no avail. The two programs were the gufw firewall and the hp device manager. I had already downloaded the cups hplip program. Help.

What repository/package manger/os are you using and how are you trying to open these programs?

If you are trying to open them from an application launcher, then consider that these applications may not have .desktop files installed. If this is the case, try launching the applications straight from a terminal.
(06-07-2021, 02:20 AM)user18130814200115 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:17 PM)hayduke Wrote: I just got my pinebook pro. I've downloaded two different programs through the repository but am unable to get them to open. I'm not new to Linux but I've tried everything I know to no avail. The two programs were the gufw firewall and the hp device manager. I had already downloaded the cups hplip program. Help.

What repository/package manger/os are you using and how are you trying to open these programs?

If you are trying to open them from an application launcher, then consider that these applications may not have .desktop files installed. If this is the case, try launching the applications straight from a terminal.
I downloaded from the repository manjaro arm repository on the laptop and I've tried two or three different ways to open but nothing will work. I don't know how to open an app from the terminal as it's never been necessary in the past. Sorry for the ignorance.
I used the manjaro arm repository on the laptop. I don't know how to open an app from the terminal because I've never needed to. Maybe you could explain it to me?
Thanks.
(06-07-2021, 11:04 AM)hayduke Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:20 AM)user18130814200115 Wrote:

I downloaded from the repository manjaro arm repository on the laptop and I've tried two or three different ways to open but nothing will work. I don't know how to open an app from the terminal as it's never been necessary in the past. Sorry for the ignorance.
So to open an app from the terminal, click on the application menu (basically the "start menu" type thing).  Then, if you're on the Manjaro that came with, it should be called Konsole.

Then you should just be able to type the name of the program and it'll run.

If it complains it wasn't installed, perhaps something went screwy  in the install.  You can always try in the terminal:
Code:
pamac install <name of package>
to install it and post any errors you get (other folks will tell you to use pacman and some letters instead of pamac, that's fine too, but I can't keep the letters straight).
Thanks Carlos. That helps a lot. I can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble installing my printer. I've been using linux since 2008 and have never had this problem before. All I want to do is hook up to my printer.
> I can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble installing my printer.
Because it's ARM? There are very few arm "filter drivers", you have to use Apples method
driverless OR airprint/ipp everywhere (both methods almost the same)
1) a not too old printer, it has to have capability
2) on network,, over usb can be done, with difficulty
3) reasonably recent CUPS
Do not pick printer model, pick driverless (driver is in printer rom, ppd is a bit feeble)
Some distros do this automatically, eg ubuntu
more info,,,, https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
(06-08-2021, 11:16 AM)hayduke Wrote: Thanks Carlos. That helps a lot. I can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble installing my printer. I've been using linux since 2008 and have never had this problem before. All I want to do is hook up to my printer.
Do you have CUPS installed?  Unlike pretty much every linux distro I've used, the default Manjaro doesn't have it.  So:
Code:
pamac install cups

Then you've got to start it up:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path
Point a web browser to localhost:631 and you'll get a clunky but serviceable web-based printer management interface.

Is your printer directly connected or network?  Setting up a generic printer (just choose Generic for the type) seemed to work pretty well for me.
I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
(06-08-2021, 06:51 PM)carlosqueso Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 11:16 AM)hayduke Wrote: Thanks Carlos. That helps a lot. I can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble installing my printer. I've been using linux since 2008 and have never had this problem before. All I want to do is hook up to my printer.
Do you have CUPS installed?  Unlike pretty much every linux distro I've used, the default Manjaro doesn't have it.  So:
Code:
pamac install cups

Then you've got to start it up:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path
Point a web browser to localhost:631 and you'll get a clunky but serviceable web-based printer management interface.

Is your printer directly connected or network?  Setting up a generic printer (just choose Generic for the type) seemed to work pretty well for me.

I think this post should be in the Wiki.

Anyone tried system-config-printer?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to Boot anything (emmc or SDcard) line72 5 1,903 01-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: nfms
  Unable to boot from emmc after flashing it rfm83 3 1,684 11-08-2022, 10:59 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  cannot boot SD card : "unable to select a mode" alchemist 0 2,082 06-18-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: alchemist
  Finding and adding new programs/apps James Good 3 3,364 02-27-2021, 05:41 PM
Last Post: User 17828
  Why can't Pinebook Pro have TOR browser and other programs? SanjevR 7 7,535 12-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Last Post: nas
  Problem with Pinebook Pro unable to read mmc1 murda 2 3,443 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with 802.11r enabled lrussell887 1 2,781 10-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mammbo3
  Another Newb Unable to Boot From microSD JimmyJazz1971 3 3,955 10-26-2020, 03:48 AM
Last Post: JimmyJazz1971
  thanks for a solid open source solution anhinga 0 1,983 10-06-2020, 03:47 AM
Last Post: anhinga
  Unable to mount NVME (PineBook Pro) WallStreet 4 6,712 09-13-2020, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell