How to Save Read Only Files, Questions on Location
Question 
I am trying to edit the geoclue.conf file, but it says it's read only. I don't know how to change that.  Huh  I am using Thunar. I got into su mode in king's cross, but not sure that helped.

Also, I have the modem disabled. Will pinephone still be able to know my location via gsm chips built into the hardware even if I edit geoclue?

In other words, if the modem is off and there's no SIM chip, am I still connected to a satalite anyway?
(06-06-2021, 02:08 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: I am trying to edit the geoclue.conf file, but it says it's read only. I don't know how to change that.  Huh  I am using Thunar. I got into su mode in king's cross, but not sure that helped.

Also, I have the modem disabled. Will pinephone still be able to know my location via gsm chips built into the hardware even if I edit geoclue?

In other words, if the modem is off and there's no SIM chip, am I still connected to a satalite anyway?

Use sudo before the app name, this will give you root level access.
(06-06-2021, 02:08 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: Also, I have the modem disabled. Will pinephone still be able to know my location via gsm chips built into the hardware even if I edit geoclue?

The GPS is part of the modem, so if the modem is powered down there can be no GPS fix. Also ModemManager (which mobian uses, at least if you're using Phosh) has a limitation that it won't enable GPS without a SIM present, even though the underlying modem hardware can do this. Unless you add something to stop modemmanager, start the gps then start modemmanager again, removing the SIM should be enough to stop the GPS being turned on.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
(06-07-2021, 06:24 AM)evilbunny Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 02:08 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: I am trying to edit the geoclue.conf file, but it says it's read only. I don't know how to change that.  Huh  I am using Thunar. I got into su mode in king's cross, but not sure that helped.

Hello EvilBunny. In King's Cross, I typed sudo thunar, then it asks for my password and I put that in, then hit enter.

It says: "thunar: Failed to initialize Xfconf: Error spawning command line ?dbus-launch -autolaunch=(lots of #s) --binary-syntax --close-stderr?: Child process exited with code 1

No protocol specifiedUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(thunar:1234*) Gtk-WARNING **: 123:12:12:123: cannot open display: :0"

I didn't include the actual numbers for security reasons.

Did I do something wrong? Did I mispel sudo?

(06-07-2021, 07:02 AM)wibble Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 02:08 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: Also, I have the modem disabled. Will pinephone still be able to know my location via gsm chips built into the hardware even if I edit geoclue?

The GPS is part of the modem, so if the modem is powered down there can be no GPS fix. Also ModemManager (which mobian uses, at least if you're using Phosh) has a limitation that it won't enable GPS without a SIM present, even though the underlying modem hardware can do this. Unless you add something to stop modemmanager, start the gps then start modemmanager again, removing the SIM should be enough to stop the GPS being turned on.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying to learn about privacy and aout the OS.
(06-09-2021, 08:53 PM)lovepine88 Wrote:

Hello EvilBunny. In King's Cross, I typed sudo thunar, then it asks for my password and I put that in, then hit enter.

It says: "thunar: Failed to initialize Xfconf: Error spawning command line ?dbus-launch -autolaunch=(lots of #s) --binary-syntax --close-stderr?: Child process exited with code 1

No protocol specifiedUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

You are best off using command line programs, when it comes to graphical ones it's a bit hit and miss as you found out.
(06-10-2021, 12:31 AM)evilbunny Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 08:53 PM)lovepine88 Wrote:

You are best off using command line programs, when it comes to graphical ones it's a bit hit and miss as you found out.

Huh?

So I want to modify the geoclue.info file and I need to do this with a command line in order to overwrite it? I've tried with Thunar and gpedit and I'm getting nowhee.

I can't modify my own device properties? The OS will deny permission and I can't chage it?
(06-10-2021, 12:06 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: Huh?

So I want to modify the geoclue.info file and I need to do this with a command line in order to overwrite it? I've tried with Thunar and gpedit and I'm getting nowhee.

I can't modify my own device properties? The OS will deny permission and I can't chage it?

nano is a text based editor, but I'd install ssh keys and ssh into the phone.
(06-11-2021, 12:02 AM)evilbunny Wrote:

evil bunny you are genius

(06-11-2021, 12:02 AM)evilbunny Wrote:

why install ssh keys and ssh into phone? don't understand.
(06-12-2021, 12:48 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: why install ssh keys and ssh into phone? don't understand.
It makes life so much more easier.

I do that because:
・I don't need to enter PIN/password every time I log into my phone from my PC, while I still have to when logging in from any other computer.
・While using the scp command, I can press tab to autocomplete the path and filename I want to pull from my phone.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How to play AMR files? anonymous 4 2,144 09-20-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  How to deal with overloaded config files? jsch 1 1,001 10-02-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  New SD card won't auto-mount, will only mount as read-only 3x5co 3 1,616 07-16-2022, 02:28 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 9,807 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Add contacts with VCF files Bouc 12 16,559 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM
Last Post: kebab
  no access to webdav files (for some apps) jsch 0 1,200 11-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Last Post: jsch
  location tracking ergo owl 39 34,548 05-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Wrong location / place by GPS - Location Services - GNSS - Maps Anna 17 11,230 03-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Maus
  3 Questions about jitterentropy-rngd. MtnSk8 2 3,152 03-17-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Re-do First Time Setup / Location Services Setting (How?) calinb 3 3,919 01-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Last Post: calinb