Always-On VPN issues at boot. Need to manually activate it.. What did i miss..
Hi. I tried this guide.. I think i did everything right, but i might have missed something...
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...networking

Always-On VPN
VPN functionality will be added to Gnome-Control-Center in the future, but for now you can configure this via
Code:
nmcli
. This guide will explain how to import an OpenVPN connection, and then configure other connections to require it as a “secondary”. (see the always great Arch wiki for more on this)
1. Add OpenVPN support for NetworkManager by running
Code:
sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn
2. Import your OpenVPN .ovpn file by running
Code:
sudo nmcli connection import type openvpn file {yourovpnfile.ovpn}

3. Until this is integrated with gnome-keyring, you must store your username and password in the .nmconnection file (currently insecure due to lack of disk encryption, which is coming in the future as well). Edit your VPN config in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, where the file is {youropenvpnfilename}.nmconnection. Change the
Code:
password-flags
to 0. At the bottom of the [vpn] block, add
Code:
username={your username}
. Then, below the [vpn] block, add the following:
[vpn-secrets]
password={your vpn password}
4. Obtain the UUID of your VPN connection by running
Code:
sudo nmcli con show {your vpn connection name}
; the UUID is the second line.
5. In the same directory, you can now modify any connection, including your cellular one, to bring up and require the VPN connection by adding this to the end of the [connection] block:
Code:
secondaries={UUID};
(dont forget the trailing semi-colon).
6. Restart NetworkManager with
Code:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
for the changes to take effect.

The thing is.. I seem to need to activate
Code:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager at every reboot.. My original ip is showing at boot it seems like, but is fixed with that command. What could the issue be?
Is this the best way to set up an ovpn file at the moment? Thanks in advance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  How to check if tow-boot is installed? jojuma 3 804 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  4G data on default startup / boot dcinoz 1 771 04-29-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Boot log analyses -> GPU no regulator (mali) found freelectro 0 902 03-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  boot gets stuck shortly after disk decryption vortex 8 3,767 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: sharase
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 960 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 922 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Does tow-boot allow periodic wake from suspension to check for notifications? DrPlamsa 4 2,543 12-31-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: DrPlamsa