Can't get through "User Configuration" on new PinePhone
@aberts10 thank you, we just flashed another OS onto the phone and it has been fine. Neither of the two phones we just got came with a working OS, but no worries, we are currently running Arch and things seem to be working.
I just received my PinePhone today and I have the exact same issue, too.
I enter a Full Name and a Username both in lowercase but the first character gets changed to uppercase and then it complains it should be lowercase.
When I enter only digits as a password, it complains it should contain only digits...
The keyboard hides the fields to write in and I don't find a way to change from landscape to portrait.
I'll try to install a different distribution tomorrow unless someone has an idea on how to get this running.
I just received my pinephone yesterday, exact same issues as described in this thread.

Is the solution to format and install a new phone OS?
I am experiencing the same issue with the pre-loaded OS, as well as the latest release. Is there a specific release of Manjaro ARM someone has tried that doesn't have this issue? Seems like a critical bug that should be prioritized.
Same problem here with a brand new PinePhone Pro.

The user config screen only takes my full name. Every time I enter a new username and try to go to the password field nothing gets registered. The username and password fields stay blank.
So it is possible to enter a username and password (using 123456) if I use an external keyboard plugged into the usb dock, but even there no way to get past the User Configuration screen. Tried pressing enter a few times, as well as pressing on the arrow button at the centre of the screen, nothing happens.
(03-11-2022, 10:20 AM)ziad Wrote: Same problem here with a brand new PinePhone Pro.

The user config screen only takes my full name. Every time I enter a new username and try to go to the password field nothing gets registered. The username and password fields stay blank.

Small correction here cause I couldn't find a way to edit my original post. My phone is a regular Pinephone 3GB RAM edition and not the Pro.

Anyway, when trying tog et past the User Configuration screen with an external keyboard and mouse there will be a fourth blank field below the Password field that cannot be seen because the screen cannot be scrolled down. It is a confirmation of the Password/PIN so just press tab on your external keyboard and enter the same PIN you did in the Password field above. The arrow in the middle of the screen will turn blue and when you press it you will have completed your configuration. At this point you can unlock the screen and use the phone.

The model I got has a flickering screen and is hardly usable. I tested Manjaro ARM Beta 11 from an SD card and it is much more stable so going to install it directly on the phone cause the SD card is kinda sluggish.
(06-09-2021, 02:22 PM)Nutmeg Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 05:36 PM)a-l Wrote: I feel silly, but have now spent many hours trying to set up my new PinePhone.
Have watched many videos and read many posts, but none mentions this issue.
After the KDE symbol comes up, everyone talks about a PIN screen, but that's not what I get.
I'm getting something called 'User Configuration', where it asks for Full Name, Username, and Password.
After (I think) entering those (it's very awkward because it just shows the keyboard - I'm hitting <CR> and
      then have to push the Power button to see the entries!) and using '123456' as the Password, nothing happens.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation for this - can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance, everyone.
Did you ever resolve this issue? My new phone just came today and I am having the exact same issue. No idea where to even begin to try and fix it.....

Ditto. im having the exact same issue, i think its setup like its a pro version with the included keyboard and just wont accept screen rotation.

all of these problems could be avoided if they just make it where the os boots and operates, and then asks if you want a password and other nonsense.
i just want a phone, i dont do anything that requires password nonsense. just adds more things to go wrong. if it just booted to os, we could fix almost all the problems encountered.
New PinePhone just arrived, yay! some compensation for missing out on the star64 selection... Anyway, same issue as everyone else. Welcome / User Configuration is a nightmare! Landscape only dialog that only allows full name entry. There is no possible way to enter the rest of the details, almost...

I accidentally ordered the phone without the nice dock thingy Sad thinking it was included with both models, oh well, I decided to try a generic USB hub, with external keyboard, and it works! finally I can type into the other fields. But there is another trick, hidden below the bottom of the landscape view (portrait does not trigger) is a confirm password field! (a very lucky guess!) You can count the number of times you press TAB on the physical keyboard to guess what field you are on before you loop back to the top. Below that there seems to be a back button and maybe a confirm button, not sure, but I was pressing space and return and somehow the next step arrow turned blue! By this point the phone is hot and at 4% battery, so further investigation will have to wait.

I wonder if this can be documented somewhere please until fixed, since it creates a poor first experience, even for a developer looking for a fun challenge Smile
Operating system installed in PinePhone could be outdated. Best way after receiving a PinePhone is to make a fresh start by flashing a latest os onto it Wink
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,213 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,530 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 465 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,946 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,483 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,612 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,676 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma