Adding of WiFi/BT board causing reboots
Exclamation 
After reading all the hell people were going through getting their boards up, I decided to keep it simple and focused on getting my A64+ booting RemixOS without any additional modules.  Just Ethernet, HDMI and power.  I didn't even solder on the power and reset buttons yet.  After a few hours of close reading of the forums (the wiki is next to useless), I was able to get RemixOS up and running.  Hooray!

I opened a bunch of apps, watched a movie via Netflix and all seemed to be going well.

Then I tried to install a 4K video player from the Play Store and it failed claiming I wasn't authorized.  On a hunch, I thought it might be related to the lack of location data, so then I tried installing the Pine WiFi/BT module and trouble started.

Predictably, there are zero instructions, but it seemed simple enough given it really only fits one way.  So I popped the W/BT board on the header pins and plugged in the power.  The Pine A64 logo immediately appeared on the screen and about 5 seconds later, the screen lost sync, went black, before the Pine logo appeared again.  And again. And again.  It loops indefinitely...

Anyone have a work around for this?

Thanks,
MMB
(06-14-2016, 08:44 PM)mmb Wrote: After reading all the hell people were going through getting their boards up, I decided to keep it simple and focused on getting my A64+ booting RemixOS without any additional modules.  Just Ethernet, HDMI and power.  I didn't even solder on the power and reset buttons yet.  After a few hours of close reading of the forums (the wiki is next to useless), I was able to get RemixOS up and running.  Hooray!

I opened a bunch of apps, watched a movie via Netflix and all seemed to be going well.

Then I tried to install a 4K video player from the Play Store and it failed claiming I wasn't authorized.  On a hunch, I thought it might be related to the lack of location data, so then I tried installing the Pine WiFi/BT module and trouble started.

Predictably, there are zero instructions, but it seemed simple enough given it really only fits one way.  So I popped the W/BT board on the header pins and plugged in the power.  The Pine A64 logo immediately appeared on the screen and about 5 seconds later, the screen lost sync, went black, before the Pine logo appeared again.  And again. And again.  It loops indefinitely...

Thanks,
MMB

Oh oh... doesn't sound good! 

I'll as the dumb question first so it's asked... is the module plugged in the right way around? It has a 7x2 header on one side and a 8x2 on the other, so it is 'keyed' of sorts... but someone still asked which way do you plug it in on another thread, so it isn't always obvious!  Smile

Do you have any sort of USB power meter you can use to see if the pine64 is using more power than it should? It idles around 250-300ma on mine, and can go up to 450-500 during boot, so anything over 500ma during boot time is excessive. 

Also, what power supply are you using, and what micro-usb cable? Are they good ones rated for 1-2 amps?

That's my 2 cents to start with anyway!  Wink
(06-15-2016, 01:11 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 08:44 PM)mmb Wrote: After reading all the hell people were going through getting their boards up, I decided to keep it simple and focused on getting my A64+ booting RemixOS without any additional modules.  Just Ethernet, HDMI and power.  I didn't even solder on the power and reset buttons yet.  After a few hours of close reading of the forums (the wiki is next to useless), I was able to get RemixOS up and running.  Hooray!

Thanks,
MMB

Oh oh... doesn't sound good! 

I'll as the dumb question first so it's asked... is the module plugged in the right way around? It has a 7x2 header on one side and a 8x2 on the other, so it is 'keyed' of sorts... but someone still asked which way do you plug it in on another thread, so it isn't always obvious!  Smile

Do you have any sort of USB power meter you can use to see if the pine64 is using more power than it should? It idles around 250-300ma on mine, and can go up to 450-500 during boot, so anything over 500ma during boot time is excessive. 

Also, what power supply are you using, and what micro-usb cable? Are they good ones rated for 1-2 amps?

My first thought same as pfeerick and may be plug in wrong way. The antenna should facing inside.
If your Wifi?BT module confirmed is a defective one, please PM me and I will make a replacement.
Big Grin 
(06-15-2016, 01:11 AM)pfeerick Wrote: Oh oh... doesn't sound good! 

Thanks for your reply, pfeerick.

The module was definitely plugged in correctly, as I viewed a number of images via Google Image search.

Also, I do have a USB power meter, which is connected to an iPad power supply, which registers ~5.1V and ~0.3mA during boot and operation.

Happily, after multiple hours of testing and tweaking, the Remix OS logo finally appeared with an "Installing" bar on the bottom of the screen and it was functional!

Unfortunately, I have no great insights beyond being extremely patient as this product is far from fully baked.

-MB
No problem... glad it came good for you in the end... computers and electronics can be strange beasts at times!  Smile
Can you tell us that yours bluetooth is working on RemixOS?
(06-17-2016, 11:52 AM)Pepe Wrote: Can you tell us that yours bluetooth is working on RemixOS?

Yes, indeed, though I only bothered to connect a Logitech K811 Bluetooth keyboard.  Worked on the first attempt and no problems.

-MB
(06-17-2016, 11:52 AM)Pepe Wrote: Can you tell us that yours bluetooth is working on RemixOS?

Bluethooth works but wifi does not authenticate.  Of course, Ethernet does not work as reported.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Wifi Dongle? pfunk237 16 26,025 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Luke
Sad RemixOS 2.0 on Pine64+2G + WiFi Module - No signal klode 2 5,455 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  System process stopped responding and reboots exa 5 8,433 08-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Last Post: exa