Minecraft Server
Brick 
Will I be able to turn this pine64 into a minecraft server for me and my friends to use. I am very new to the world of single-board computing.
yes if you install ubuntu on the board, you can install minecraft server, be sure that it has (at a minimum)1GB of RAM, preferably at least 2GB.

then fallow instruction on the web, it is easy to install minecraft server on ubuntu.
(01-19-2016, 08:54 AM)hazerty Wrote: yes if you install ubuntu on the board, you can install minecraft server, be sure that it has (at a minimum)1GB of RAM, preferably at least 2GB.

then fallow instruction on the web, it is easy to install minecraft server on ubuntu.

My kids are freaking CRAZY about Minecraft and we play together as a family, this would be awesome!

The world files can get quite large can't they? I have a 120GB SSD sitting around, if I could use that to help with speed and world size that would be very cool.

hazerty, do you have a link for instructions?
search on google ubuntu minecraft server. There are in my language( french) for instructions.
I have my Pine64 set up as a minecraft server. Basic steps are:
1. Install Ubuntu
2. Update
3. Install Java
4. Download the minecraft jar file
5. Tune the server.properties file a little bit
6. Run it.

I found that I had to reduce the render distance in the server.properties file from 10 to 6, or there would be a lot of lag, and the server couldn't keep up generating chunks.

There's a handy script at the minecraft wiki for getting it set up as a service.

If anyone wants to have a look at my Pine64 minecraft server, send me a PM and I'll give you the connection info.
(04-09-2016, 06:37 AM)LMHansen Wrote: I found that I had to reduce the render distance in the server.properties file from 10 to 6, or there would be a lot of lag, and the server couldn't keep up generating chunks.
Cool, got my own minecraft server running also. While i'm not familiar with playing (my son plays it all the time) but interested in tuning the server.properties for him, can you kindly give some hints what you exactly did?
Keep mining.... Wink
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-09-2016, 04:31 PM)androsch Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 06:37 AM)LMHansen Wrote: I found that I had to reduce the render distance in the server.properties file from 10 to 6, or there would be a lot of lag, and the server couldn't keep up generating chunks.
Cool, got my own minecraft server running also. While i'm not familiar with playing (my son plays it all the time) but interested in tuning the server.properties for him, can you kindly give some hints what you exactly did?
Keep mining.... Wink

You need to edit the server.properties file in the folder where the .jar file lives. There's a line "view-distance=10", which defines how far a player can see. Default is 10 chunks. This is too much for the server to handle, even for a single player. I reduced this value to "6", and that removed all the lagging and complaints from the server. 

Additionally, some tuning is needed for java to get the best out of it ... I start it like this:

java -server -d64 -Xmx1536M -Xms1024M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XXTonguearallelGCThreads=1 -XX:+AggressiveOpts 
-jar minecraft_server_1.9.2.jar nogui 

I'm not sure of -d64 is needed as -server is specified, but it won't hurt. Most of the rest of the options deals with memory management and garbage collection.

I also used this to set up minecraft as a service: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials...tup_script
(04-10-2016, 05:32 AM)LMHansen Wrote: You need to edit the server.properties file in the folder where the .jar file lives. There's a line "view-distance=10", which defines how far a player can see. Default is 10 chunks. This is too much for the server to handle, even for a single player. I reduced this value to "6", and that removed all the lagging and complaints from the server. 

Additionally, some tuning is needed for java to get the best out of it ... I start it like this:

java -server -d64 -Xmx1536M -Xms1024M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XXTonguearallelGCThreads=1 -XX:+AggressiveOpts 
-jar minecraft_server_1.9.2.jar nogui

Perfect, view-distance was already reduced, this was just what i figured out of your recent post.

Thanks for the additional settings for the java order, i run mine in a screen session, so i don't need the startup-script.

BTW: What java version do you use? I use java8:

openjdk version "1.8.0_02-Ubuntu"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_02-Ubuntu-8u77-b03-3ubuntu2-b03)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.02-b03, mixed mode)

Thanks for the support Smile
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
I'm running 1.8.0_01-ubuntu
I got a Minecraft server (Spigot) running on it today, seems to perform much better than the "vanilla" server jarfile. 

Only had 2 people running around on it so far, but it ran brilliantly with none of the usual "did the clock change? trying to keep up" messages.

Takes a little time to build it (my P64 2GB took around 15mins) but very happy with the results. 

This was on the ubuntu image.

dm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mastodon instance \ Nextcloud Server fearg 1 4,524 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Plex server arghne 59 136,769 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Moshe.Vazan
  Turn your Pine64 into a music server with mpd JulianM 2 10,964 03-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Plex server arghne 48 52,346 03-22-2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine64 as NAS/Media Server VandaL.pr! 1 6,126 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Luke
  3d printer server oldsmarracin 3 5,480 09-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Last Post: JAYJAYN
  Cannot install Plex Media Server under Arch Linux malevolent 2 5,498 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: ChrisLane
  Building Stratum One NTP Server lospinos 5 8,681 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Starbound Server. Is the Pine64 capable? iamfallen 1 3,894 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Media server montero65 3 6,006 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: queonda