First Post/Introduction
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I just received my PinePhone (Manjaro with Plasma Mobile) the other day and have had the past couple days to play around with it. So far I have had a great experience other than the part when I accidentally locked myself out when I changed my password to contain letters Big Grin . But even that gave me the opportunity to switch distros and test out Mobian with Phosh.

Using jump drive to switch distros was super easy and I'm really just blown away with how cool this phone is. Obviously, there are a few kinks to work out, but I didn't buy this to be my daily driver immediately anyway. The issues I found were with GPS (Mobian with Phosh, I didn't test this with Manjaro) on Gnome Maps not giving an accurate reading of where I was, but when I went to the settings for location it appeared as if no apps were trying to access my location. So, I feel like I will need to look into that a little more later. Also, when I was on Manjaro I couldn't connect to my mobile network, but didn't really get to troubleshoot because of the lock out incident I mentioned above. I've had no trouble making calls or accessing the internet through Mobian/Phosh, though.

I do have a couple things I was curious about. I watched a video of the disassembly of this phone and it seems like it would be really easy to take apart and replace broken pieces. Does anyone know if there are plans to make upgraded parts? I see they have the standard camera (5MP) as a replacement in the store, but do they plan on making a >5MP camera to replace it with if someone wanted to buy it. Seems like it would be cool to be able to upgrade your phone like you could upgrade your desktop.

Also, does anyone know how to get the Microsoft Teams web app working? I know there's an Teams for Linux Arm app, but I heard it's not the best and at least until Microsoft comes out with an official app I was hoping I could get it set up just in a browser. I already tried changing the user-agent of the Epiphany browser, but that didn't work.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Tim
Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum! Smile

(04-24-2021, 08:27 PM)top19013 Wrote: Does anyone know if there are plans to make upgraded parts? I see they have the standard camera (5MP) as a replacement in the store, but do they plan on making a >5MP camera to replace it with if someone wanted to buy it. Seems like it would be cool to be able to upgrade your phone like you could upgrade your desktop.

Upgraded parts is always a possibility, but I haven't heard anything specific yet. As far as the camera, I believe 5MP is about the most the A64 can handle, so would require a new mainboard and CPU, which won't be happening for a couple of years.

(04-24-2021, 08:27 PM)top19013 Wrote: Also, does anyone know how to get the Microsoft Teams web app working? I know there's an Teams for Linux Arm app, but I heard it's not the best and at least until Microsoft comes out with an official app I was hoping I could get it set up just in a browser. I already tried changing the user-agent of the Epiphany browser, but that didn't work.

Sorry, can't help you with that one, I don't use Microsoft Teams. Maybe someone else comment on that.
The A64 processor only supports cameras up to 5MP. If you want something better, either buy the Librem 5 or wait for the RK3566 in the PinePhone 2. Another option is to order the Volla Phone or Pro1 X, which use Android drivers but will be able to run Ubuntu Touch.
Thanks for the responses. I'm cool with the 5MP camera, just thought it would be interesting to have a culture where we can pick and buy pieces to build a phone much like we currently can for building a desktop, but it does seem like we are heading in that direction which is great. The one thing I definitely am waiting for though is the keyboard. I think that is going to be awesome.

Anyway, thanks again, time to get back to tinkering.
(04-25-2021, 08:28 AM)amosbatto Wrote: The A64 processor only supports cameras up to 5MP. If you want something better, either buy the Librem 5 or wait for the RK3566 in the PinePhone 2.  Another option is to order the Volla Phone or Pro1 X, which use Android drivers but will be able to run Ubuntu Touch.
I don't think there's any such limit in A64, you can set framebufer size up to 2^13 x 2^13 Though you'd be hard pressed to find camera modules with parallel interface and > 20MP for example. So practically, it doesn't matter.
my website: https://xnux.eu
(04-24-2021, 08:27 PM)top19013 Wrote: Also, does anyone know how to get the Microsoft Teams web app working? I know there's an Teams for Linux Arm app, but I heard it's not the best and at least until Microsoft comes out with an official app I was hoping I could get it set up just in a browser. I already tried changing the user-agent of the Epiphany browser, but that didn't work.

what user agent did you switch to? have you tried running it in firefox yet?
(04-26-2021, 07:58 AM)tophneal Wrote: what user agent did you switch to? have you tried running it in firefox yet?
I tried two user agents initially:
  • Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.93 Safari/537.36
  • Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.82 Mobile Safari/537.36
By changing the user agent it gets me past the screen saying that my browser isn't supported with a download link, but there are some error messages leading me to believe that the browser I was using wasn't supported (haha surprising I know). Or at least that is what I remember happening when I tried this a couple days ago. I'm trying again with a few more user agents from the whatismybrowser websites list of latest user agents (both Chrome and Firefox) and I am just being directed to the browser isn't supported page with a download link to either Google Play or IOS store depending on the user agent.

I tried with the Firefox ESR that comes with the Mobian (from the Mobian-project wiki) and it just takes me the browser isn't supported page with a download link for Google Play.
you might try changing the string of your ff esr to standard ff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US cellular service (as I understand it as of post date) freebsd 17 8,868 07-23-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot