pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? -
Will we have a pinephone 2 specs discussion?

I would like a 5G + WiFi6 + NFC + BT5 model, even if the rest is the same as the 1

And if it has socket/s for RAM and ROM to add more RAM/ROM or change them to higher capacity or replace them if damaged or plug the ROM in other device if phone fails if some information was not backed up even better.
A smaller one Smile (but i admit it would make a lot of work to do to (re)design it at both the hardware and the «UI» level…)
I'd quite like an IR transceiver. Working in AV it's nice to have a device that you can use as a one-for-all remote.
Pinephone 2 software as open source as possible. This gives more trust in the whole project in contrast to regular android phones:

no binary blobs for booting
no blobs for camera
open source wifi firmware - pinecone is already worked on

Work on open sourcing modem firmware is amazing. further development on this front for pinephone 2 would be really great

Better hardware. Often chunky experience is reported for UI on pinephone.

Ram >=4gb
better cpu
better power management
camera - the one available now is just poor

Quartz 64 looks like a very good starting point for pinephone 2/pro - with much improved performance, power efficiency and possible support for better camera

Would be great to see some timelime for pinephone 2

Pinephone 1 reached some level of maturity and most of work is done on optimizing software while nothing conceptually new will be done on the hardware to improve the experience. And w/o better hardware possibilities of improvement are quite limited.

hardware killswitches available from outside w/o need to take phone apart
+1 on above answer. I'd not like more RAM though. I believe a small phone shouldn't use much RAM. Current RAM is enough.
I'd like a RISCV processor to remove ARM TrustZone.

I'd like better camera for sure. Hardware switch is great but in today's world of surveillance, a flap for front an back cam can be helpful to make sure that psychologically we know that camera is off.

And I'd also like shipping to Maharashtra, India.
Today, the forces which make the rich richer and poor poorer have their roots in computer security. Never has it been more important to work towards abolishing the power of the powerful.

Let's use hyperbola or other libre OSes and strive towards stateless hardware (Rutkowska 2015). Let's use GNU/Linux phones and shun Android. Let's make our data available to everyone or else absolutely no one.
(03-27-2021, 04:18 AM)ncc Wrote: everything i read here would make the phone more expensive.. for example, i don't buy a phone that costs more than 150 USD, but i made an exception for a linux phone.. if you go higher, you reach less people.. but there is still room for something between the pinephone and librem 5

To my mind price could go higher for better hardware - lets say around 300-500 euros you can get new pixels with grapheneos, so this price would make pinephone 2 a good competition

Also we have already seen regular and convergence editions with different prices and specs of pinephone.

Keeping one phone as lower spec (camera, maybe screen) and cheaper and other more beefy but with higher price. Majority of hardware could stay same -so same software etc would work for both

(03-27-2021, 02:31 AM)sagaracharya Wrote: +1 on above answer. I'd not like more RAM though. I believe a small phone shouldn't use much RAM. Current RAM is enough.
I'd like a RISCV processor to remove ARM TrustZone.

I'd like better camera for sure. Hardware switch is great but in today's world of surveillance, a flap for front an back cam can be helpful to make sure that psychologically we know that camera is off.

And I'd also like shipping to Maharashtra, India.

RiscV is very interesting and cool option.

I guess decision will depend on how well software works on arm vs risc. might be riscv more feasible for pinephone 3 Smile

as for ram - only problem is current web, firefox can easily eat few gigs with opened tabs
We cannot make assumptions for the best optimized hardware unless software is optimized itself.

I believe the wise thing to do before getting into these new hardware considerations is to wait and see what software can actually deliver with the current hardware. Then it will be easy to evaluate what kind of specs/price would be best for a new PP iteration.
i don't ask for much for pinephone2 in terms of hardware

-100% working camera
-easy to use interface
-3 or even 4 GB of ram
-5G wifi

that's it.

don't care about NFC, IR, thumbprint scanner etc.
(03-27-2021, 08:02 AM)bitsandnumbers Wrote: We cannot make assumptions for the best optimized hardware unless software is optimized itself.

I believe the wise thing to do before getting into these new hardware considerations is to wait and see what software can actually deliver with the current hardware. Then it will be easy to evaluate what kind of specs/price would be best for a new PP iteration.

True

But not much can be expected from Allwinner A64. It is from 2015 with 40 nm architecture. No wonder poor power efficiency and performance. This is 6! years old hardware not even designed for mobile use, you most probably do not use laptop from that time anymore.
(04-01-2021, 02:19 PM)misha64 Wrote: True

But not much can be expected from Allwinner A64. It is from 2015 with 40 nm architecture. No wonder poor power efficiency and performance. This is 6! years old hardware not even designed for mobile use, you most probably do not use laptop from that time anymore.

I am writing this on a laptop that was manufactured in 2004. It has a 32-bit "Core Duo" T2300 CPU. Originally designed for Windows XP, I upgraded it to 2GB DDR2 memory (its maximum) and installed an old 30GB SSD I had handy. (The laptop has SATA 1.0.)

I use this old laptop practically ever day. It's now running Linux with LXDE desktop and has no problems with general web browsing and even videos. (Not the fastest thing in the world obviously but it's really not bad.) So the idea of the Pinephone using 6-year-old tech doesn't seem especially worrisome to me, particularly given the price.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,116 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,603 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma