Wrong location / place by GPS - Location Services - GNSS - Maps
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=location

Short version: unless you're doing manual things to make the AGPS work, your location is probably from IP address, wifi or cell tower lookup. Like almost every other phone, the GPS signal is marginal because the antenna is necessarily small, so the chances of getting a GPS location aren't great unless you're using the downloaded assistance data (AGPS). Use of assistance data isn't yet built into the GUI - it really needs to be added to ModemManager (used by Phosh) or oFono (used by Plasma Mobile) and called from a GUI somewhere. Also ModemManager won't currently let you turn on location if you don't have a SIM, although the hardware doesn't need the SIM to use GPS - this is a ModemManager bug.
(03-10-2021, 10:39 AM)wibble Wrote: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=location

Thank you, @wibble ! I read the thread that @dukla2000 had recommended and drew the conclusion that a) it is way to deep for me and that b) from what I could comprehend it seemed as if there simply is no solution. Your post corrected that impression. However, even with your link I don't think I would be able to do it ("able" meaning: being limited to following simple instructions that do not require any prior knowledge or independent thinking). Since I am always afraid to mess up my phone for good, I guess I should move the location issue down my list.
I'm surprised to read this. Positioning works well here, with a Pinephone 1.2a and Mobian. It locks in under a minute and is quite precise, much faster than the phones I used before (without AGPS). I simply used the "Maps" app to test this. And the hardware also works under other operating systems with different interfaces (gpsd on PostmarketOS for example).
(03-11-2021, 10:21 AM)Maus Wrote: I'm surprised to read this. Positioning works well here, with a Pinephone 1.2a and Mobian. It locks in under a minute and is quite precise, much faster than the phones I used before (without AGPS). I simply used the "Maps" app to test this. And the hardware also works under other operating systems with different interfaces (gpsd on PostmarketOS for example).

Hello Maus,
Are sure that you use only the GPS functions, not the Wifi or something else ?
I my case, I have the Wifi and Bt shut-off with the mecanical switch.
Whatever the reason: It works now. Three days ago it suddenly started to show the correct location. I kept testing it since then -- no problems.

Thank you guys for your good vibes!
(03-12-2021, 09:41 AM)Gribouille Wrote: Hello Maus,
Are sure that you use only the GPS functions, not the Wifi or something else ?
I my case, I have the Wifi and Bt shut-off with the mecanical switch.

Hello Gribouille, no, I am not so sure ... but Bluetooth does not have any influence on location services, and I've been far from any human structures when I tried it outside back in February, so WiFi would not have helped there anyway (no signal on the radio). There are different types of AGPS, one just using the mobile signal strength and station ids and looking those up in a (local or remote) database and applying trigonometry mathematics, the other one adding WiFi ESSIDs to the game, and I thought the latter one is only employed by FAAMG and the likes. But I may of course be wrong!
I have a Mobian Convergence phone, received this month. GPS is always off. When indoors, on wifi, with SIM card and GPS presumably on, the location is always offset to the same place about 100m away to the west. When I'm outdoors, it's always offset by about 10m, but I haven't checked for consistency in the direction. I've observed 10m east. The offset isn't random.
(03-19-2021, 06:27 AM)Maus Wrote: Hello Gribouille, no, I am not so sure ... but Bluetooth does not have any influence on location services, and I've been far from any human structures when I tried it outside back in February, so WiFi would not have helped there anyway (no signal on the radio). There are different types of AGPS, one just using the mobile signal strength and station ids and looking those up in a (local or remote) database and applying trigonometry mathematics, the other one adding WiFi ESSIDs to the game, and I thought the latter one is only employed by FAAMG and the likes. But I may of course be wrong!

Today I tested again, with WiFi and Bluetooth switched off by software. First, I got a very fast pseudo-fix, in Germany, in the south of Frankfurt am Main, and this looked somewhat familiar ...
After some 30, 40 additional seconds, it got a new fix, and it gradually approached where I really was (out in the wild, with no WiFi near me). After about 90 seconds the map precisely followed me. I'd call that very much OK, better than what I expected.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PureMaps and OSM Scout Server maps download biketool 6 2,407 01-08-2024, 04:11 AM
Last Post: vusra
  [GPS] PureMaps with OsmScoutServer, Localization precision and Maps freelectro 2 1,174 03-21-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: freelectro
  Time is wrong after reboots stucked at 27th august user641 2 1,221 09-08-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: user641
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 9,811 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Using lat/lon in GPS/GNSS apps and Messaging biketool 6 3,001 05-04-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Pure Maps GPS on Pinephone Mobian godzillest 3 3,794 08-03-2021, 03:07 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  22 July 2116 -- wrong Date & Time Anna 7 5,880 07-30-2021, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  (Gnome) Maps won't start on Mobian? TRS-80 3 3,106 07-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Question How to Save Read Only Files, Questions on Location lovepine88 8 7,545 06-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: ryo
  location tracking ergo owl 39 34,554 05-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX