Pine Phone Battery Issue
After some hours of charge, the PinePhone is usable.
A new full installation was done.

With Manjaro or Mobian, a full charged battery show a status of "Discharging" at 87 % of charge. The "Charging" is shown at 8 % and stop before 100 %

Now, with Mobian in my eMMC, the level could be 100 %.

Strange situation. Any explication ?
Yes. For reasons of safety, Manjaro and others charge your phone only up to 88%. Nobody knows exactly what will happen if you overcharge the PP.
(03-27-2021, 01:12 AM)Gribouille Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 03:18 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I bought a compatible battery from eBay for about $6 with free shipping and it works fine. You want a Samsung EB-BJ700BBC battery for a Galaxy J7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery...3865335933

Thank you @Zebulon Walton  Smile

This is a precious information !

You're welcome! The only issue I ran into is that battery had a plastic molding glued to the bottom edge (opposite edge from the contacts) that had to be removed for it to fit in the phone.
(03-30-2021, 12:04 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 01:12 AM)Gribouille Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 03:18 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I bought a compatible battery from eBay for about $6 with free shipping and it works fine. You want a Samsung EB-BJ700BBC battery for a Galaxy J7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery...3865335933

Thank you @Zebulon Walton  Smile

This is a precious information !

You're welcome! The only issue I ran into is that battery had a plastic molding glued to the bottom edge (opposite edge from the contacts) that had to be removed for it to fit in the phone.

My problem is solved with your help  Smile  Thank you !

First, I've bought a charger and plug the PinePhone's battery on it for some hours : the battery is alive and the PinePhone was able to boot  Cool
The charger is a 'nx' model 'CEL9012' bought in the same store.

I've bought the battery in my local store : https://www.1001piles.com/searchengine/result/?q=EB-BJ700BBC 

The price is higher than Ebay, but it's a easier and simple for me, and no bad surprise Wink

But, it wasn't the bottom part of the battery to remove, it was the upper part as shown on the pictures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My PinePhone 64 Mobian Community Edition Pine Phone is dead in the water also - battery reports 0% charge on a multi meter despite several hours of charging.  I ordered a spare/new Samsung Galexy J7 battery, but I'm hesitant to try it because of above reports.  I was fully up to date with Mobian updates, but don't have hours and hours to play with the phone trying to debug hardware or software.  And because the phone's dead, my TracPhone card expired.  WHY don't I see helpful answers on the forum?  Odd.
Comments on charging,  that may or may not be pertinent :
  Use a good Smart phone charger.
Using your Laptop or Desktop to charge your phone will likely be a problem, except for trying to stretch the charge.

Of the 5 separate/different versions of Pine phones I have purchased,  only one of the PMOS convergent models has charged strangely
but that was only the first few days, and I was using a borrowed charger at that time...

Currently my most used Pine phone, a PMOS convergent model running the latest Nightly Mobian from an sd-card, does charge to 100% (indicated)
then it cycles down to about 93%,  and then charges back to 100%.

That seems normal to me,  when I use a battery charger on my vehicle it does the same thing,  charge full power until a certain voltage is reached,
then it will cycle on & off known as floating.

I would "Worry"  if the charger held the charge at 100%  ?

* Also this is software, so what is indicated as 100%,  is most likely not the actual 100% maximum compacity of  the of the battery,
But rather a safer 'set-point' reference of the software.

Just my opinion,  but I believe it is valid.

( Did you remove the shipping tape from the battery contacts ? )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
the charger should be able to maintain at least 1 Ampere of real current, that is you either need a 2+ Ampere charger or the output of a PC Power Supply Unit, moreover if the phone is in good condition then it should power up without a battery but the modem at least would not power up
While I do think a minimum of at least 2+ amp power supply is a good idea for normal charging, 
        I do think the charger or the phone charging circuit should be in control.

Using the 'Power App' on the Mobian operating system,  it shows that when my phone is unplugged from the charger it draws between 2 and 5 watts. (usually)
  this is the wattage reading with the modem and display operating,  and the wifi & bluetooth are turned off (on my phone).

My phone charger normally delivers from 5 to 5.2 volts DC,  5 volts at one amp would be 5 watts.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
it is better to work with amperes which is something "directly" measured by the circuit and can be read from the /sys filesystem where you can control the maximum current and charging voltage, if the phone is operating anything below 1 ampere can not charge the battery, it just cancels the power loss, he probably uses the same charger as before but he should try to check the /sys filesystem and test if the phone powers up without a battery, may the battery has a problem
sometimes after you plug the charger and though the battery icon chages, the battery is not charging and you can feel that the charger stays cool, uplugging and replugging solves the problem, so try once more to charge the battery making sure the charger is getting hot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 364 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,366 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 915 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 2,943 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,410 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Bug DESIGN ISSUE? Speaker + vibration motor broke for the 2nd time e1337 11 4,094 01-26-2023, 10:11 PM
Last Post: AnAbolitionist
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,178 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,546 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta