Product Idea: USB Flash Drives
(06-04-2021, 04:51 AM)dsimic Wrote: Sadly, I don't think that the RL2040 would be a good choice for a USB storage device...  Here's a quotation from page 11 of the RP2040 datasheet:

Quote:A USB controller with embedded PHY can be used to provide FS/LS Host or Device connectivity under software control.

Full-speed (FS) USB 1.1, which runs at 12 Mbit/s, would be just too slow for a USB storage device. Undecided

Ah okay, was just an idea. I was wondering whether the PIO could be utilized to speed up USB... Just putting options out there Smile
(06-04-2021, 11:33 PM)barray Wrote: Ah okay, was just an idea. I was wondering whether the PIO could be utilized to speed up USB... Just putting options out there Smile

Quite frankly, I don't think that a bit-banging USB interface would go a long way. Smile
(06-04-2021, 11:51 PM)dsimic Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 11:33 PM)barray Wrote: Ah okay, was just an idea. I was wondering whether the PIO could be utilized to speed up USB... Just putting options out there Smile

Quite frankly, I don't think that a bit-banging USB interface would go a long way. Smile

Okay... I was out shopping earlier and I saw they were selling a Pi Pico in the shop for just $6 - it seemed rude not to take it home with me Big Grin I will do some tests on it when I get some spare time, perhaps on the weekend.

Other than that, my box with the 'Teensy' arrived, turns out the wrong thing was sent in the end... Will need to figure out how to source one from somewhere else.
(06-07-2021, 10:04 AM)barray Wrote: Okay... I was out shopping earlier and I saw they were selling a Pi Pico in the shop for just $6 - it seemed rude not to take it home with me Big Grin I will do some tests on it when I get some spare time, perhaps on the weekend.

For $6 in a local store, it's definitely worth a try. Smile

(06-07-2021, 10:04 AM)barray Wrote: Other than that, my box with the 'Teensy' arrived, turns out the wrong thing was sent in the end... Will need to figure out how to source one from somewhere else.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sad  I placed an order for a few Teensy 4.1 boards a few hours ago, from a German reseller website, and they've already dispatched the order; hopefully, the right boards will arrive.  I've also managed to get a good friend of mine onboard the entire idea of making an open USB storage device; one of the boards is for him, and he's willing to do some testing down the road. Cool
(06-11-2021, 04:15 AM)dsimic Wrote: For $6 in a local store, it's definitely worth a try. Smile

I think so. The PIO could be quite interesting, I would love to see what the limits are. Worst case I will try to make something else out of it.

(06-11-2021, 04:15 AM)dsimic Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that. Sad  I placed an order for a few Teensy 4.1 boards a few hours ago, from a German reseller website, and they've already dispatched the order; hopefully, the right boards will arrive.

It happens, I thought there was some risk. I will try to locate another.

(06-11-2021, 04:15 AM)dsimic Wrote: I've also managed to get a good friend of mine onboard the entire idea of making an open USB storage device; one of the boards is for him, and he's willing to do some testing down the road. Cool

Awesome! Is your friend a coder too? You should definitely bring them here to the forum Smile
My apologies for the delayed response.

(06-12-2021, 04:35 AM)barray Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 04:15 AM)dsimic Wrote: I've also managed to get a good friend of mine onboard the entire idea of making an open USB storage device; one of the boards is for him, and he's willing to do some testing down the road. Cool

Awesome! Is your friend a coder too? You should definitely bring them here to the forum Smile

Yes, he is also a programmer with a lot of experience, but he isn't that much into the embedded development or into writing forum posts. Smile

The Teensy 4.1 boards I've ordered arrived a couple of weeks ago, attached is a picture of them in person. Smile  In the meantime, I've been busy with debugging some U-Boot and ASoC issues on the PineBook Pro, which resulted in not much time being spent on making the Teensy 4.1 boards do something.  However, that doesn't mean that the boards will become abandoned. Cool

What I've accomplished so far is to get the TinyUSB's USB mass storage example compiled, although I haven't flashed it to a Teensy 4.1 yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: My apologies for the delayed response.

Also been slow myself. Very busy during these days, but I had realized I also hadn't messaged here in a while.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: Yes, he is also a programmer with a lot of experience, but he isn't that much into the embedded development or into writing forum posts. Smile

Ah okay, well it would be good to communicate with your friend somehow at some point - especially if they are serious about helping with the project Smile

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: The Teensy 4.1 boards I've ordered arrived a couple of weeks ago, attached is a picture of them in person. Smile

I haven't tried to get another Teensy board yet, the sources I went to originally have now dried up. I also haven't had much time to work on one in any case.

I still have the Pi Pico for now, which should be good enough for some initial experiments. I'm sure there will already be some dev effort in this space, so shouldn't entirely be from scratch.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: In the meantime, I've been busy with debugging some U-Boot and ASoC issues on the PineBook Pro, which resulted in not much time being spent on making the Teensy 4.1 boards do something.  However, that doesn't mean that the boards will become abandoned. Cool

Sounds fun! I've also had several unfortunate issues with my PineTab, so not particularly happy about that situation either. I'm currently looking to build my own laptop as I'm not particularly happy with the options out there.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: What I've accomplished so far is to get the TinyUSB's USB mass storage example compiled, although I haven't flashed it to a Teensy 4.1 yet.

That's excellent to hear. Please keep me up to date with how that goes and be sure to start putting stuff into a git repo if you're making changes.
(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)barray Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: My apologies for the delayed response.

Also been slow myself. Very busy during these days, but I had realized I also hadn't messaged here in a while.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: Yes, he is also a programmer with a lot of experience, but he isn't that much into the embedded development or into writing forum posts. Smile

Ah okay, well it would be good to communicate with your friend somehow at some point - especially if they are serious about helping with the project Smile

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: The Teensy 4.1 boards I've ordered arrived a couple of weeks ago, attached is a picture of them in person. Smile

I haven't tried to get another Teensy board yet, the sources I went to originally have now dried up. I also haven't had much time to work on one in any case.

I still have the Pi Pico for now, which should be good enough for some initial experiments. I'm sure there will already be some dev effort in this space, so shouldn't entirely be from scratch.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: In the meantime, I've been busy with debugging some U-Boot and ASoC issues on the PineBook Pro, which resulted in not much time being spent on making the Teensy 4.1 boards do something.  However, that doesn't mean that the boards will become abandoned. Cool

Sounds fun! I've also had several unfortunate issues with my PineTab, so not particularly happy about that situation either. I'm currently looking to build my own laptop as I'm not particularly happy with the options out there.

(07-07-2021, 08:08 PM)dsimic Wrote: What I've accomplished so far is to get the TinyUSB's USB mass storage example compiled, although I haven't flashed it to a Teensy 4.1 yet.

That's excellent to hear. Please keep me up to date with how that goes and be sure to start putting stuff into a git repo if you're making changes.

I had a ATtiny85(cheap digispark board) connected to a SD card a few years ago as part of a badusb fake-keyboard and mass storage experiment.  It wasn't fast but it worked.  I was using the Arduino IDE so that fit even with micronucleus bootloader loaded on the attiny.
(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)barray Wrote: Ah okay, well it would be good to communicate with your friend somehow at some point - especially if they are serious about helping with the project Smile

Only time will tell how the things are going to work out. Smile

(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)barray Wrote: Sounds fun! I've also had several unfortunate issues with my PineTab, so not particularly happy about that situation either. I'm currently looking to build my own laptop as I'm not particularly happy with the options out there.

Here's another issue I've been working on, and the fixes have been accepted by Manjaro ARM.  It was a small but rather nasty bug to flush out. Cool

(07-08-2021, 09:21 PM)barray Wrote:

Of course, I'll keep you updated and I'll try to upstream any changes I might end up making.

(07-09-2021, 03:09 AM)biketool Wrote: I had a ATtiny85(cheap digispark board) connected to a SD card a few years ago as part of a badusb fake-keyboard and mass storage experiment.  It wasn't fast but it worked.  I was using the Arduino IDE so that fit even with micronucleus bootloader loaded on the attiny.

Good to hear!  I assume that you used the SD card in 1-bit mode?
<snips above>
Good to hear!  I assume that you used the SD card in 1-bit mode?

<Forum is getting wonky and not posting my reply just the upthread>
(try #3)
The devise was a Digispark with a i/o line to a dumb SD card holder PCB, so yes 1-bit. I never really thought about it but if speed were important there are more pins on the SD card, not sure how fast an attiny can go controlling and multiplexing a data line.  I pasted together some example arduino code I found to do badUSB faux-USBkeyboard for some system updates and then save a log file to the SD.  It didnt end up being used so it was never refined, I recall the data transfer as a flash drive was terrible though it was also a super cheap SD card <1GB.
But I would love to have a shot at a USB flash drive where I can play with the firmware and do stuff like goodUSB or even just a mouse wiggler for IM online status by moving a little dip switch or jumper.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  QuartzPro64 SPI flash Melab 1 869 03-16-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Melab
  Modular product design Zotax 0 830 01-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Zotax
  Product Idea: PineTracker EternityForest 0 760 01-12-2023, 10:33 PM
Last Post: EternityForest
  New product idea: Pine Glasses Blathers 2 2,716 12-02-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: erikzoltan
Lightbulb Product Idea: Pine Graphics Tablet israel 10 8,105 04-19-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Houstand345
  Article: Auto Flash and Test NuttX on RISC-V BL602 (PineCone) lupyuen 0 1,256 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Rackmount cluster case as a Pine Store product? dfr 3 3,293 09-30-2021, 04:52 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  E-Note Device (E-Ink, E-Paper, Project Idea) Sirius 9 8,970 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Last Post: biketool
  PineVR as a new product? poVoq 11 11,271 05-31-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune