Plasma Mobile telephony broken? Testing / Unstable
Wondering if anyone else is having issues?

I've had ofonoctl indicate registered and yet getting an Unable to make calls in Dialier and a telepathy error in Spacebar.
I've had the modem go unpowered for no apparent reason (problem with resume from suspend?).
I've had the modem not turn on at boot.

I also still have some calls wake up the screen but nothing else, no notification with cancel / reply or ringing.
Changing audio out from earphone to speaker seems to lead to no ringing problems?

Is this due to eg25-manager / ofono 'conflicts' or simply the ongoing resume / suspend problem? Or is it the modem?

Curious as when I switched to Plasma Mobile I was excited the phone rang immediately when in suspend on a incoming call and same with incoming sms / text messages, but now it seems to have gone wrong.

Perhaps a recent eg25-manager update? Not sure ofono was updated recently.
Guess it is still work in progress.

Also, does anyone know if unstable updates are available via mirrors? I switched to unstable but it didn't get anything new.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
Phone in suspend via systemctl suspend.
Try to do test call, nothing.
Wake up phone - ofonoctl indicates modem is unpowered....sleep seems to turn off the modem right now.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
(03-01-2021, 01:16 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Phone in suspend via systemctl suspend.
Try to do test call, nothing.
Wake up phone - ofonoctl indicates modem is unpowered....sleep seems to turn off the modem right now.
Good news, updates must have fixed this as the modem / phone has been behaving recently.
Spoke too early, late yesterday I woke the phone to find the modem turned off.
Today after latest updates (unstable) and reboot, woke phone from suspend to find modem was off, too.
Apparently due to 5.11 - same problem with Mobian https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid90945
Update on latest unstable repo and latest kernel, still happening and seems very random. The modem survived overnight but after a reboot it died again after about 2 hours.

https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/i.../issues/85

Sadly basic telephony is still not reliable, hence using Mobian as a daily driver - at least the phone eventually rings (though it takes several rings to wake up and actually ring) and I have never had the modem 'die'. I'll try leaving it on overnight as a test, out of curiosity.

If you're having issues, consider adding your comment to the bug comments.
What usually happens is that the USB hub restarts due to EMI(ElectroMegnetic Interference), the modem still works but it is disconnected, since this happens when I give GPS commands I reckon that the modem draws much power and causes a power surge forcing the system to restart the hub.

Then there are 2 cases,

1) if you can see the modem with `lsusb` you can give `ofonoctl online` and bring it back but it is not registered properly with DBus and Plasmaphonedialer and Spacebar can not use it.

2) if you can't see it at all with `lsusb` then you should restart the eg25-manager and then go online

`sudo systemctl restart eg25-manager`

it takes some time, after some seconds give

`ofonoctl online

if it says "No modem found" give again the command after some seconds

and enter the PIN

`qdbus --system org.ofono /quectelqmi_0 org.ofono.SimManager.EnterPin pin your_pin`

Again Plasma dialer and Spacebar won't be probably working.

Something has to be done with the modem and the power.
I tried restarting eg25-manager and twenty seconds later ofono but that didn't work - maybe a longer wait is required? With the modem not found error I had to reboot. The issue is that if the modem has dropped out / been powered down the phone won't ring / get SMS notifications.

It's never happened with Mobian, so that points to a software issue. My suspicion has been ofono as that isn't used by Mobian.
I'm now 'testing' Manjaro Phosh as suggested on the bug report but I would expect it to behave as Mobian does, being Phosh based.
Hopefully for Plasma Mobile it will be fixed eventually.

I'm happy to use Mobian / Manjaro Phosh as phone calls and SMS / text messages work for me. Manjaro starts ringing immediately on incoming calls so I prefer that.
I just find it curious that nobody else seems to have this problem.
Yes you can try to wait longer for the modem to show up, eg25-manager indeed powers up and down the modem, ofono and Telepathy make the calls, SMS, and mobile internet. The other distributions use the ModemManager instead of ofono, but I have the same problems sending AT commands too which have nothing to do with the aforementioned managers. Users have different experiences with Pinephone probably because not all devices behave the same, they are not regular mass production devices. Though Plasma is nice I consider it a very heavy approach at least for this mobile device and I am a proponent of an embedded framebuffer interface.
Another case is that instead of restarting the eg25-manager try first to stop it and after some seconds to start it again

`sudo systemctl stop eg25-manager`

wait some seconds

`sudo systemctl start eg25-manager`

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is wrong with KDE plasma beta15 RC4? Uturn 8 1,330 10-02-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  CardDAV / Nextcloud sync broken Uturn 0 606 06-15-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Uturn
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,352 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  gnome-mobile dev Uturn 1 1,038 02-22-2023, 03:37 AM
Last Post: acrux
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,558 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,478 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Disabling screen timeout for plasma mobile rp3 7 7,010 09-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: christev1
  VPN on Plasma Hobgoblin 1 1,217 08-29-2022, 03:14 AM
Last Post: saddamus
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 28,559 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen
  |Plasma] Blank screen + pointer, SDDM error tuxmain 0 942 07-04-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: tuxmain