Looking For Pine Phone Operating System For A Daily Driver?
Still trying to use my Pine Phone as a cell phone, the closest I have came is calling another cell phone they could hear me but with the volume all the way up and holding my ear to the speaker I could barely hear them.

Have had the Pine Phone since 6-10-20 and have yet to make a phone call, send a text or take a picture.

At this point I either have a defective phone or Pine Phone has screwed me.

What are my options I am feeling the need to start a "Buyer Beware Of Pine Phone" campaign on several popular Social Media sites as the whole thing seems like a total scam to me.

Suggestions?

WHO EVER set up these forums and defaulted "Do not subscribe to this thread" is NO GENIUS!

This sites administrator needs to set the default to "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" If I have to explain why you should not be the administrator, you should also be changing the option FONTS to be BLACK AND NOT LIGHT GRAY on a BRIGHT WHITE background, what are you trying to hide and why

Thanks in advance
Mobian is the only distro that everything seems to be working at this time. Have you tried it? Make sure it stays updated. Arch isn't far behind followed by Manjaro Phosh. stay away from anything Plasma for a little longer.
I'll second the Mobian suggestion. I've tried a bunch of the other distros, including the "official" Manjaro/KDE one, and none of them come close to the functionality, useability, and speed of Mobian/Phosh. I will admit Phosh isnt the greatest interface, but at least it isnt terribly laggy.
Hello and thanks for the reply I currently have Ubuntu Touch installed on the phone itself and check for updates several times a week, on the SD card I have Mobian installed and check for updates each time I boot it up.

I have had the Pine Phone since 6-10-20 and have yet to make a phone call, send a text or take a picture regardless of the operating systems I have tried, unsure what else does or does not work until I can make a phone call, send a text or take a picture nothing else matters.

Is there more than one version of Mobian I dont recall it being called Mobian/Phosh?

Again thanks.
(02-28-2021, 10:47 AM)K_Research Wrote: Hello and thanks for the reply I currently have Ubuntu Touch installed on the phone itself and check for updates several times a week, on the SD card I have Mobian installed and check for updates each time I boot it up.

I have had the Pine Phone since 6-10-20 and have yet to make a phone call, send a text or take a picture regardless of the operating systems I have tried, unsure what else does or does not work until I can make a phone call, send a text or take a picture nothing else matters.

Is there more than one version of Mobian I dont recall it being called Mobian/Phosh?

Again thanks.
Can't help you on Ubuntu touch. They have seemed to abandon UBT development for the Pinephone. It's just lost pace with all the other distros. Are you sure you have the proper cellular network and your APN set correctly? voLTE will not work if they are not set correctly. Who is your carrier?
AT&T
AT&T
AT&T
AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T
Error message too short so typing some shit here to make the nag thing happy
(02-28-2021, 04:41 PM)K_Research Wrote: AT&T
AT&T
AT&T
AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T AT&T
Error message too short so typing some shit here to make the nag thing happy
AT&T does not want the Pinephone on it's network and has been blacklisting them. I hope they don't cancel your account. AT&T collects your user data and resells it. (and more) It can't collect much off the Pinephone due to Linux's privacy. There has been much written about it lately here in the forum especially by the Cricket users.
(02-28-2021, 05:10 PM)C0ffeeFrea Wrote: AT&T does not want the Pinephone on it's network and has been blacklisting them. I hope they don't cancel your account. AT&T collects your user data and resells it. (and more) It can't collect much off the Pinephone due to Linux's privacy. There has been much written about it lately here in the forum especially by the Cricket users.

I've been with AT&T and it predecessors since the early 1990s. (I started with a local carrier and a bag phone but after a few acquisitions they became AT&T.) They've never really been able to collect much data aside from phone calls and location since I've never made use of mobile internet or any kind of "apps". I've always used a simple phone, which is still my daily driver until 3G service is taken down early next year. The phone is powered off and battery taken out unless in use so there is not even 24/7 location tracking they can latch onto.

Even after transitioning to another phone when it becomes necessary, whether the Pinephone or a 4G flip phone (they're out there, assuming AT&T will permit them), I still do not plan to use the cell connection much if at all for internet access.  I really have no interest in phone functionality other than being able to make and receive phone calls. So no matter what they're just not going to be able to collect much in the way of marketable information. I wonder if after being a customer for nearly 30 years they would cancel my account for failing to give them data that they can monetize.
(02-27-2021, 01:57 PM)K_Research Wrote: Have had the Pine Phone since 6-10-20 and have yet to make a phone call, send a text or take a picture.
In general, those things things should work. I have no problems making phone calls, sending texts and taking pictures on Mobian. Could you be more specific as to how exactly things don't work? Then it might be easier to debug. Ideally you could try to do the things that don't work with a freshly flashed current image of Mobian and then describe what exactly happens?

(02-27-2021, 01:57 PM)K_Research Wrote: At this point I either have a defective phone or Pine Phone has screwed me.
You wrote in another thread that you "pulled the battery from the phone at least 50x when it becomes non responsive". In the same thread it has been pointed out that pulling the battery from the phone while in use could lead to a corrupted modem along with the suggestion of reflashing the current firmware and checking the antenna connection. Have you done those steps? I'm not sure if reflashing the firmware helps if it is corrupted, but I guess it's worth a try. A corrupted modem would at least explain your problems with calls and texts.

(02-27-2021, 01:57 PM)K_Research Wrote: What are my options I am feeling the need to start a "Buyer Beware Of Pine Phone" campaign on several popular Social Media sites as the whole thing seems like a total scam to me.
One could argue that Pine64 beat you to it by putting this red colored note very prominently on the order page of the Pinephone: "Community Limited Edition PinePhones are aimed solely for developer and early adopter. More specifically, only intend for these units to find their way into the hands of users with extensive Linux experience."

(02-27-2021, 01:57 PM)K_Research Wrote: This sites administrator needs to set the default to "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies"
For what it's worth, I'm glad I don't automatically receive unwanted emails because I forgot to uncheck a box somewhere. I very much prefer the current opt in.
Well here are 6-18-21 had my Pinephone over a year and its still as worthless as the day I took it out of the box.

Can not even take a simple picture, phone still does not work texting does not work, updated Mobian and Ubuntu touch countless times, I check for updates every 2-3 days.

My Samsung Galaxy S3 still works, makes calls, texting, emails, browse the web GPS when I select the camera it actually works and does not just give me a BLACK SCREEN

Suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 932 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,070 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,613 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,417 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous