Mobile Data, KDE Community Edition and pinephone-modem-setup
Greetings !

I've been investigating why mobile data did not work on my Pinephone (an untampered KDE CE one).

The APN settings UI is currently broken, since the last update... but prior to that, I was able to check that the APN settings had been automatically set, and were valid. I would be interested in knowing how to change those settings manually, as there doesn't seem to be much documentation on that for Plasma Mobile.

The command `ip link show` lists three interfaces. The third one is called `wwan0` and I assume it's the one mobile data should be using. It's always down though, and enabling/disabling mobile data in Plasma's UI doesn't change anything to that interface.

Investigating further, I noticed that `pinephone-modem-scripts.pinephone-modem-setup` had an issue at boot.
`systemctl status pinephone-modem-scripts.pinephone-modem-setup` shows that the process exited with status 1.

I then found the scripts in /usr/sbin: pinephone-modem-start.sh, pinephone-model-stopl.sh, pinephone-modem-setup.sh, and pinephone-modem-setup-ofono.sh.

The setup script exits with status -1 and doesn't display anything on screen.
The start script and stop script exit with success status, and report that they "Enable/Disable EG25 WWAN module".
The ofono setup indefinitely looks for a /dev/EG25 file that does not exist.

That's about as far as I got. I'm not even sure I'm looking in the right direction, but I'm thinking maybe someone here knows better !
(02-15-2021, 09:13 PM)plaristote Wrote: Greetings !

I've been investigating why mobile data did not work on my Pinephone (an untampered KDE CE one).

The APN settings UI is currently broken, since the last update... but prior to that, I was able to check that the APN settings had been automatically set, and were valid. I would be interested in knowing how to change those settings manually, as there doesn't seem to be much documentation on that for Plasma Mobile.

The command `ip link show` lists three interfaces. The third one is called `wwan0` and I assume it's the one mobile data should be using. It's always down though, and enabling/disabling mobile data in Plasma's UI doesn't change anything to that interface.

Investigating further, I noticed that `pinephone-modem-scripts.pinephone-modem-setup` had an issue at boot.
`systemctl status pinephone-modem-scripts.pinephone-modem-setup` shows that the process exited with status 1.

I then found the scripts in /usr/sbin: pinephone-modem-start.sh, pinephone-model-stopl.sh, pinephone-modem-setup.sh, and pinephone-modem-setup-ofono.sh.

The setup script exits with status -1 and doesn't display anything on screen.
The start script and stop script exit with success status, and report that they "Enable/Disable EG25 WWAN module".
The ofono setup indefinitely looks for a /dev/EG25 file that does not exist.

That's about as far as I got. I'm not even sure I'm looking in the right direction, but I'm thinking maybe someone here knows better !
After spending a couple of days trying to figure out the same thing you are I just gave up. Plasma is just too buggy for me. I will try it again after it matures. Mobian is my daily driver.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 300 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,149 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  Modem white list aular 7 652 02-13-2024, 04:35 PM
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  qcell modem id aular 6 631 01-15-2024, 10:05 PM
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,940 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,480 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 640 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool