Disable vibrations
I don't really like the vibration motor, and I figure it would save more battery if it was disabled. How do I do it?
I would also like to know how to disable vibrations, maybe someone could share some insight.

In general, the system settings menu could use some attention. Ive used mobian for 6 months and I still dont know how to change the ringetone without breaking anything Big Grin
(03-13-2021, 04:11 PM)ncc Wrote: my pinephone is not vibrating at all. i thought it was because of mobian being in development, but i can live without it, i guess
Mine does not vibrate, too, and I wasn't able to trigger it programmatically or by using sysfs.
(02-15-2021, 12:54 AM)3x5co Wrote: I don't really like the vibration motor, and I figure it would save more battery if it was disabled. How do I do it?

One approach would be to cut the vibration motor's wires or pry it apart to break its internal wiring. I did that accidentally when replacing a cracked screen.
(03-13-2021, 05:03 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: One approach would be to cut the vibration motor's wires or pry it apart to break its internal wiring. I did that accidentally when replacing a cracked screen.

Sounds like fun! Just need to find out how it looks like so I dont go cutting off the wrong thing.. do you know of some schematics or relevant pictures?
Hey guys,

before you rip your phones apart to cut some wires...
What do you think about "cutting wires" in software?

Have a look here:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/sunxi...phone.dtsi

Especially this entry gives the needed information:
Code:
vibrator {
compatible = "gpio-vibrator";
enable-gpios = <&pio 3 2 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>; /* PD2 */
vcc-supply = <&reg_dcdc1>;
};

So if you are familiar with kernel compilation you could disable this entry by comment out the vibrator part in the DTS and generate a new dtb file.

There should also be some system service handling this, but i'm still searching... Cool 

EDIT:
O.k. dbus.service is starting /usr/libexec/feedbackd which handles the vibrator afterwards.
So you could start tweaking the theme for pinephone at: /usr/share/feedbackd/themes.
But maybe this isn't nasty enough Tongue

The daemon feedbackd has a rules definition in /lib/udev/rules.d/90-feedbackd.rules
In this file there's a definition for the vibrator:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ENV{ID_INPUT}=="1", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vibrator", TAG+="uaccess", ENV{FEEDBACKD_TYPE}="vibra"

Maybe it's enough to uncomment this line with "#".
Just a thought... i did not try that.

AFAIK this stuff is all handled by the kernel event system, look here as a reference (pinephone console output, the last entry):
Code:
mobian@mobian:/dev/input/by-path$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-1c21800.lradc-event -> ../event1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-1c2ac00.i2c-event -> ../event2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-1f03400.rsb-platform-axp221-pek-event -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-gpio-keys-event -> ../event0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-sound-event -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 16. Mär 11:31 platform-vibrator-event -> ../event5

Maybe this helps in any way.

Cheers,
scholbert
(03-16-2021, 04:43 AM)scholbert Wrote: The daemon feedbackd has a rules definition in /lib/udev/rules.d/90-feedbackd.rules
In this file there's a definition for the vibrator:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ENV{ID_INPUT}=="1", ENV{ID_PATH}=="platform-vibrator", TAG+="uaccess", ENV{FEEDBACKD_TYPE}="vibra"

Maybe it's enough to uncomment this line with "#".

I tried commenting that line out. It works to shut down all vibration notifications. Which is nice.

Not so nice: it also seems to shut down ALL notifications from the phone. No ringing for calls, no tones for texts, nothing.

I'm not sure why some incredibly ordinary functionality simply does not seem to appear on the pinephone. Being able to assign ringtones to individuals and groups, being able to silence ringtones, being able to turn vibration on and off. It's been two years now. *Please* do it!

I'd be really really grateful for a solution to this. I don't mind editing config files. But on the larger issue of the phone's usability for the general customer, this really needs to be easy to do in the phone app (or Settings) itself. It's not simple enough for me to have ever found it Sad
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
I followed the description in the feedbackd README and
  • copied one of the predefined themes from /usr/share/feedbackd/themes/ to $HOME/.config/feedbackd/themes/default.json (the path may be different on your system if the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable is set),
  • modified it (e.g. removed most of the vibration feedbacks) and
  • sent the SIGHUP signal to feedbackd.

Finally I set the feedback profile to 'full' (it was 'silent' before because I didn't like the vibrations):

Code:
gsettings set org.sigxcpu.feedbackd profile full

Finally my PinePhone has sound notifications without vibrations Smile
Easier way than doing anything with the DE would just to echo "blacklist gpio_vibra" (lsmod revealed this to be the relevant module) into /etc/modprobe.d/vibrate so it won't start the driver for it on boot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to disable ipv6 at kernel level with towboot? vusra 2 823 07-09-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: vusra
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 922 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Disable headphone controls 3x5co 0 608 09-10-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Disable *automatic* on-screen keyboard iwakura_lain 0 900 06-11-2022, 09:49 AM
Last Post: iwakura_lain
  Disable on screen keyboard permanently. grump_fiddle_reinstall 12 8,960 06-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  Possible to disable display of SMS text messages? Zebulon Walton 2 3,137 12-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Speed up Mobian performance: disable animations 3x5co 1 3,255 11-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: elagost