Minimum daughter boards/peripherals required for main board to boot
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to work out why my PBP won't power on/boot anymore.

I'm at the stage where I've disconnected everything from the main board and using the bypass rather than battery.

If I power it through the barrel port, nothing seems to happen. CPU remains cold even if I leave it plugged in for a while. Hitting the 'reset' button also seems to do nothing.

What daughter boards/peripherals need to be connected for the main board to power/boot? For example, do I need to have the keyboard connected for it to boot?

Thanks Smile

PS At present I can't test any voltages, currents etc until Monday evening because my fluke is at work. I might even have to wait until Thursday because of recent COVID19 lockdowns being imposed.
The keyboard is a USB device, I'm pretty sure it's not necessary.

You could answer your own question by plugging everything in and without the battery, using the bypass, see if you have the same results as now.
(02-13-2021, 11:00 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: The keyboard is a USB device, I'm pretty sure it's not necessary.

You could answer your own question by plugging everything in and without the battery, using the bypass, see if you have the same results as now.

@KC9UDX With only the keyboard plugged in, the power LED turns on, orange for about 2 seconds. But it seems that the main board still doesn't boot. I say this because the CPU remains cold.

Plugging everything in as suggested results in no further changes.

I observed all of this before posting.

I don't think my board and its components are a good use case to determine what the minimum required for the main board to boot. If there is a possibility that my main board (or other components) are faulty then I won't get very far. Only someone with a good working system can confirm what is required (which is probably not me).
Let's narrow down what causes changes. By making changes one at a time, and carefully noting what happens, one can almost always find what works and what doesn't, even with multiple hardware failures.

Right now, you get an orange LED for two seconds, then nothing.

If you reinstall the battery (remove the bypass!) does this change?

If not, reassemble everything. If nothing changes, let's next assume the PBP hardware is all working. Why? Because numerous people (including myself) have had the exact same symptoms at one time or another, due to corrupted software, and/or SD cards that don't play well with the PBP.
Sorry, I'm not going to troubleshooting in this thread. We'll only go off topic and confuse future readers.

The question is, "What are the minimum daughter boards/peripherals, if any, that are required for the main board?"
(02-14-2021, 04:43 PM)cmicallef Wrote: Sorry, I'm not going to troubleshooting in this thread. We'll only go off topic and confuse future readers.

The question is, "What are the minimum daughter boards/peripherals, if any, that are required for the main board?"

Mainboard, keyboard and display.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacement main board for Developers mozes 10 1,485 11-27-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: mozes
  unable to boot after manjaro update gega 6 3,017 10-28-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Replacement board avaliability mrjay 1 2,371 07-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How to boot from USB? kendew 7 12,158 10-08-2020, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Arwen
  Pinebook Pro Boot Issues - Booting needs multiple attempts mtndew 13 17,032 10-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Upgrade eMMC card - boot problems alpopa 0 2,233 09-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: alpopa
  Reboot, and halt and boot, are not the same regivanx 0 1,910 09-14-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: regivanx
  PBP not booting screen blank after SD card boot Jakobp 10 13,457 08-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: trinapicot
  m.2 adapter board screw missing? screamy 4 5,972 07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Last Post: screamy
  Boot problems with new 128GB eMMC module Kareema 1 3,244 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Kareema