microsoft repos in linux!
Wink 
whats up with the rasp pi foundation  sneaking in microsuck  repos&gpg  in their "new and improved ' raspberry pi os,lol Dodgy

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/...berry_pis/
Wow! Thank you for this! I wouldn't have found out otherwise before the next time I update all my Pis!
Meanwhile, you're using an "open source" device on closed hardware that includes binary-only software to make it work.

Does it ship by default with VS Code? It's a good cross-platform tool that works equally well on Linux as it does on Windows. I use it on both platforms for work (Windows) and my home machines (Linux).
on my two pis no, i don't need or use vs .both are headless ,one used as a router ,the other one a vintage internet radio
...so far i # the repo and deleted the keys but are on my way to get back to the original debian

i try to stay demicrosofted
(02-07-2021, 08:33 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Meanwhile, you're using an "open source" device on closed hardware that includes binary-only software to make it work.

I agree with you about RPi.  Just another device / company riding on the current popularity of "open source" whilst in reality being nothing of the sort.

Remember, there are many more interesting alternatives to Raspberry Pi nowadays (including all Pine64 devices)!

(02-07-2021, 08:33 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Does it ship by default with VS Code? It's a good cross-platform tool that works equally well on Linux as it does on Windows. I use it on both platforms for work (Windows) and my home machines (Linux).

Eh, I am not such a fan of Microsoft, either.  Remember, they have been extremely hostile towards F/LOSS for decades.  Which is why I am not buying that they suddenly "got religion" about it recently.  More like, they had to, or else become irrelevant.  Just let them die off already (along with any of these other companies who also practice similar dinosaur business models).  None of them deserve to be a part of the collaborative future we are creating together.

Yes, VS Code is released under an open source license.  However, it still contains spyware and other nonsense.  Microsoft is not your friend, and they will never learn nor really change (i.e., wake me up when they release the crown jewels (Windows, Office, etc.) under a F/LOSS license).  Big Grin
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-08-2021, 09:03 AM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 08:33 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Meanwhile, you're using an "open source" device on closed hardware that includes binary-only software to make it work.

I agree with you about RPi.  Just another device / company riding on the current popularity of "open source" whilst in reality being nothing of the sort.

Remember, there are many more interesting alternatives to Raspberry Pi nowadays (including all Pine64 devices)!

(02-07-2021, 08:33 PM)zborgerd Wrote: Does it ship by default with VS Code? It's a good cross-platform tool that works equally well on Linux as it does on Windows. I use it on both platforms for work (Windows) and my home machines (Linux).

Eh, I am not such a fan of Microsoft, either.  Remember, they have been extremely hostile towards F/LOSS for decades.  Which is why I am not buying that they suddenly "got religion" about it recently.  More like, they had to, or else become irrelevant.  Just let them die off already (along with any of these other companies who also practice similar dinosaur business models).  None of them deserve to be a part of the collaborative future we are creating together.

Yes, VS Code is released under an open source license.  However, it still contains spyware and other nonsense.  Microsoft is not your friend, and they will never learn nor really change (i.e., wake me up when they release the crown jewels (Windows, Office, etc.) under a F/LOSS license).  Big Grin

I disable the telemetry "features" of VS Code. There is a version that strips some of that out along with some of the other Microsoft components. Some people use that.

They definitely didn't "get religion". They are a corporation who is in it to make money and they seem to realize that cross-platform tools are valuable from that perspective. I remember when Linux users were freaking out over inclusion of Mono in their distributions. Was that paranoia warranted? That was before it was even owned by Microsoft. .Net is a valuable tool regardless of the platform that you use and several components have required it for over a decade now, especially on Gnome.

I agree that Microsoft isn't necessarily trustworthy, but some of the paranoia from the FOSS community is borderline lunacy. It's very hard if not impossible to have a completely open platform, for now. We're getting there though. But some people are not looking at the obvious black boxes in their computers. They've got an Intel Management Engine backdoor running at the lowest level, or they are running nVidia drivers on their Linux desktops or something like Broadcom Videocore drivers on their RPis. Yet their concern is Microsoft being nefarious without looking at the greater issues with their computing platforms.

I work in an environment where I have to balance the best features of free or closed software. I still don't trust Google enough to stick in the Android ecosystem, or else I wouldn't be here. But the RPi thing; It never was completely "open source" and probably never will be. But it's geared towards a lot of hobbyists that use Windows more often than strict Linux users, and is also positioning itself and platform as an easy and cheap alternative to Windows computers. See the all-in-one keyboard kits as an example.
Oh no:/ I think most people who are into Linux and Open Source ideas want to avoid Google and M$.
Here's what I think:

Most people who are into Open Source ideas want to have the choice to use or not use products and services from Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Such people very much do not like such products and services being installed without specific consent.

Yeah, this is probably just paranoia: The way this was done makes me think that someone at Raspberry Pi Foundation was bribed. Why? Because this is just the kind of nefarious thing that we try to avoid, which is why we use things like BSD or GNU/Linux. Even if most people buying Raspberry Pi aren't buying them for these reasons, it's common sense to do things in Linux that align with people who use Linux. You wouldn't add a Denso stereo to someone's Ford without telling them, just because more people like Toyota. In fact, let's assume that the reason they automatically added this repository was because it is something that they expect their users really want: Why not advertise it? This is why it just doesn't seem to be on the up-and-up. Frankly, such paranoia isn't unwarranted, nor is it unhealthy.

One of the reasons I use Raspberry Pi (and Pine64) products, and AmigaOS, NetBSD, and GNU/Linux, is specifically because I don't want Microsoft anything in any way. (Except of course Bars&Pipes. But what am I supposed to do about that? And it doesn't report to Microsoft when it's running.) I suspect I'm not the only one.
One would think that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is also "bribed" to use those Broadcom chips that nobody else uses.

But it's more likely that it's because Broadcom is a founder of the foundation.

And because Eben Upton works for Broadcom. Broadcom also has close relationships with other tech companies like Microsoft. Microsoft previously partnered with the Raspberry Pi foundation to put Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi. Windows on ARM is a big deal now in case people didn't know. Not just big. HUGE.

It's a "charity" that's run by a major semiconductor corporation. Anyone that's expecting anything but a corporate product is misguided. The Pi is currently a hobbyist's toy and Broadcom is the toymaker, but it's becoming more serious as a functional computer. But I think that people are overthinking this. Microsoft has a lot of Linux compatible software now. If you want to do any serious VSCode / .NET development on Linux, to probably will have a Microsoft repository in your lists. And The Pi foundation's reasoning for this is to make it easy to install.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...8#p1810728

Quote:"Thank you, everyone, for your feedback, this won't be changing because it makes the first experience for people who do want to use tools such as VSCode easier." - Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

BY THE WAY... Microsoft also owns Github. So whenever you use that, it's also "phoning home".
(02-09-2021, 07:22 PM)zborgerd Wrote: One would think that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is also "bribed" to use those Broadcom chips that nobody else uses.

But it's more likely that it's because Broadcom is a founder of the foundation.

And because Eben Upton works for Broadcom. Broadcom also has close relationships with other tech companies like Microsoft. Microsoft previously partnered with the Raspberry Pi foundation to put Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi. Windows on ARM is a big deal now in case people didn't know. Not just big. HUGE.

It's a "charity" that's run by a major semiconductor corporation. Anyone that's expecting anything but a corporate product is misguided. The Pi is currently a hobbyist's toy and Broadcom is the toymaker, but it's becoming more serious as a functional computer. But I think that people are overthinking this. Microsoft has a lot of Linux compatible software now. If you want to do any serious VSCode / .NET development on Linux, to probably will have a Microsoft repository in your lists. And The Pi foundation's reasoning for this is to make it easy to install.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...8#p1810728

Quote:"Thank you, everyone, for your feedback, this won't be changing because it makes the first experience for people who do want to use tools such as VSCode easier." - Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

BY THE WAY... Microsoft also owns Github. So whenever you use that, it's also "phoning home".

"BY THE WAY" ...did u just signed up here to shill for microsot  ?    

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone successfully flashed an Ox64 (128Mb) from linux? slondr 3 1,634 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  [Article] Ox64 BL808 RISC-V SBC: Booting Linux and (maybe) Apache NuttX RTOS lupyuen 2 742 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  [Article] Booting RISC-V Linux on Star64 JH7110 SBC lupyuen 3 1,364 07-05-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  [Article] Inspecting the RISC-V Linux Images for Star64 SBC lupyuen 3 1,224 06-29-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Concerns about Linux future Chief 15 6,243 01-20-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: thaleszop
  Online Linux Terminals palak231 1 935 09-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Linux desktop on a Snapdragon 870 phone. Vasant 0 1,206 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Vasant
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,293 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc
  Linux vs NetBSD NIS passwords KC9UDX 20 16,558 08-19-2021, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Gribouille