PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread
(02-24-2021, 02:10 PM)zimano Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 09:58 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 10:52 AM)Byte Wrote: Just got a call from DHL asking for £44.74 import tax for delivery to the UK (for convergence edition), so heads up to any fellow Brits.

Oh wow, thank you for reporting this. £45 is very steep. Obviously prior to Brexit (using the EU warehouse arrangement) there was no import tax, but  even prior to that -when all PinePhones were shipped from HK - I cannot recall anyone reporting an import tax quite this high in the UK (I think £35 was the most I've ever seen).

Before Brexit, I've had to pay VAT and delivery company handling charges when buying outside of the EU, so nothing new there Sad  Apparently, if the total cost of the goods is less than £135 then there's no import tax.  Not sure how they determine the value of what's in the box though?  Something you have to tell them when you ship maybe?

I don't thing there is any import duty for a phone coming from Hong Kong to the UK. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/...8517120000

But VAT at 20% is due on the cost of the phone and getting it to you in the UK, postage. I reckon it should be about £30, based on $199 phone and $30 shipping, subject to whatever exchange rates apply.
(02-25-2021, 01:28 PM)richieeee Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 02:10 PM)zimano Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 09:58 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 10:52 AM)Byte Wrote: Just got a call from DHL asking for £44.74 import tax for delivery to the UK (for convergence edition), so heads up to any fellow Brits.

Oh wow, thank you for reporting this. £45 is very steep. Obviously prior to Brexit (using the EU warehouse arrangement) there was no import tax, but  even prior to that -when all PinePhones were shipped from HK - I cannot recall anyone reporting an import tax quite this high in the UK (I think £35 was the most I've ever seen).

Before Brexit, I've had to pay VAT and delivery company handling charges when buying outside of the EU, so nothing new there Sad  Apparently, if the total cost of the goods is less than £135 then there's no import tax.  Not sure how they determine the value of what's in the box though?  Something you have to tell them when you ship maybe?

I don't thing there is any import duty for a phone coming from Hong Kong to the UK. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/...8517120000

But VAT at 20% is due on the cost of the phone and getting it to you in the UK, postage. I reckon it should be about £30, based on $199 phone and $30 shipping, subject to whatever exchange rates apply.

Came out at £44.74 which I paid today which is right, as it cost £175 total for the item when I added the shipping on.  Would be nice to have a way of avoiding DHL's £11 (equivalent to an extra large donner kebab) but not like I order from abroad often.
Finally received my tracking number!! I'm getting excited
(02-05-2021, 05:37 PM)Luke Wrote: [February 5, 2021]  Mobian CE PinePhones destined for all of European countries, bar the UK, will be dispatched on February 8th from the EU warehouse. This means that all those in Europe (minus UK) should receive their PinePhones by February 21.

Mobian CE PinePhones destined for the USA, Canada, Australia and other destinations will be shipped between February 22 and the 28th from Hong Kong. We initially hoped to ship all Mobian CE PinePhones prior to Chinese New Year (starting February 9th), but unfortunately logistics issues with the KDE CE and other factors prevented this from happening. Stay tuned for further news after CNY.

[February 22, 2021] Post-CNY shipments have resumed. Mobian CE PinePhones will be picked up by DHL tomorrow (feb 23) and, granted there are no delays, should be departing Hong Kong on Wednesday (Feb 24). Those of you waiting for your Mobian CE will receive tracking numbers at various points in time in the next 3-4 days. 

PinePhones purchase on clearance over the CNY period and destined for EU destinations will ship out tomorrow and Wednesday (Feb 23, 24).

PinePhones purchase on clearance over the CNY period destined for all other destinations will ship out Thursday (Feb 25) and Friday (Feb 26) from Hong Kong.

This timeline was dead on for my order. Superb update. For anyone's reference, the phone was shipping to Canada. Received today. The duty / import fees I ended up having to pay was $30 CAD. $12 or so was tax, the rest was processing fees. Considering the phone here was $291 CAD with shipping (tax not included), our tax rate at 12% would actually be $30+ anyways. In summary, good experience, expected duty, rate 8/8 - for the shipping experience (I haven't tried the phone yet Tongue)
(02-26-2021, 01:28 PM)theD0ctor Wrote: This timeline was dead on for my order. Superb update. For anyone's reference, the phone was shipping to Canada. Received today. The duty / import fees I ended up having to pay was $30 CAD. $12 or so was tax, the rest was processing fees. Considering the phone here was $291 CAD with shipping (tax not included), our tax rate at 12% would actually be $30+ anyways. In summary, good experience, expected duty, rate 8/8 - for the shipping experience (I haven't tried the phone yet Tongue)

Canadian here too, I also got mine today. DHL wanted to charge me $51.84 for the $199.99 USD Convergence Package. I self cleared and paid CBSA $26.00 directly.

I found this to clear the package yourself and it was super easy. You tell DHL you want to clear the package yourself and they provide a paper saying that it cleared customs. This is NOT the waybill (I made this mistake). So you print off the Pine64 email, The paper from DHL and you go to CBSA, for me (Ottawa) Its at the airport (140 Thad Johnson Pvt). They check the papers, and you pay only the taxes. For me they listed the item as $199 CAD and I paid $26.00 CAD in taxes. I got a blue paper and gave that to DHL and they gave me the phone.

This is my first time and it took awhile. I'm not sure if its worth it but for bigger items It totally will be.
(02-26-2021, 04:41 PM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 01:28 PM)theD0ctor Wrote: This timeline was dead on for my order. Superb update. For anyone's reference, the phone was shipping to Canada. Received today. The duty / import fees I ended up having to pay was $30 CAD. $12 or so was tax, the rest was processing fees. Considering the phone here was $291 CAD with shipping (tax not included), our tax rate at 12% would actually be $30+ anyways. In summary, good experience, expected duty, rate 8/8 - for the shipping experience (I haven't tried the phone yet Tongue)

Canadian here too, I also got mine today. DHL wanted to charge me $51.84 for the $199.99 USD Convergence Package. I self cleared and paid CBSA $26.00 directly.

I found this to clear the package yourself and it was super easy. You tell DHL you want to clear the package yourself and they provide a paper saying that it cleared customs. This is NOT the waybill (I made this mistake). So you print off the Pine64 email, The paper from DHL and you go to CBSA, for me (Ottawa) Its at the airport (140 Thad Johnson Pvt). They check the papers, and you pay only the taxes. For me they listed the item as $199 CAD and I paid $26.00 CAD in taxes. I got a blue paper and gave that to DHL and they gave me the phone.

This is my first time and it took awhile. I'm not sure if its worth it but for bigger items It totally will be.
That's so interesting, for me I just got the notification through dhl for customs clearance / duty owed. So I clicked to view the invoice and paid through dhl , which was $30. I wonder if the port of entry factors into this? I'm near the west coast.
(02-26-2021, 01:28 PM)theD0ctor Wrote: For anyone's reference, the phone was shipping to Canada. Received today. The duty / import fees I ended up having to pay was $30 CAD. $12 or so was tax, the rest was processing fees. Considering the phone here was $291 CAD with shipping (tax not included)

(02-26-2021, 04:41 PM)FutureBucket Wrote: Canadian here too, I also got mine today. DHL wanted to charge me $51.84 for the $199.99 USD Convergence Package. I self cleared and paid CBSA $26.00 directly.

So it looks like I got swindled.  Rolleyes  I got an email this week from DHL that was charging me $55.43CAD and I paid it. About $38 were for GST and another tax, the rest were fees. I'm in Quebec (no mention of PST). KDE Plasma Mobile convergence package purchased during CNY.

I wasn't even aware you could self clear a package. I don't remember seeing any link about this in the DHL page.

Ah well. Back in July for my UBports CE Pinephone, I got gouged even worse. I made the mistake of having my package shipped to my employer (a mfg. company). My employer's customs broker intercepted it and charged my employer $80 for it!!! Which I reimbursed my employer of course. That was extremely steep for a $150USD phone. Angry
(02-27-2021, 12:27 PM)NormandC Wrote: So it looks like I got swindled.  Rolleyes  I got an email this week from DHL that was charging me $55.43CAD and I paid it. About $38 were for GST and another tax, the rest were fees. I'm in Quebec (no mention of PST). KDE Plasma Mobile convergence package purchased during CNY.

I wasn't even aware you could self clear a package. I don't remember seeing any link about this in the DHL page.

Ah well. Back in July for my UBports CE Pinephone, I got gouged even worse. I made the mistake of having my package shipped to my employer (a mfg. company). My employer's customs broker intercepted it and charged my employer $80 for it!!! Which I reimbursed my employer of course. That was extremely steep for a $150USD phone. Angry

Man, Anything but Canada post and you're going to get charged fees. For this reason alone I wish that Pine64 would just use China post, if I'm paying for it why not let me choose?! I don't mind waiting the extra month it'll take. I'm sure its like 2% of us that want this so I get why they stick with DHL. Ah well.

My Guess is theD0ctor is in AB, They Don't have Provincial sales tax and so it'd be much cheaper. That or they didn't get the Convergence Package.

DHL doesn't tell you its an option because they don't make more money when you self clear it. If you're in a bigger city in Québec you should have a CBSA/ASFC office near you. https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/provinces/qc-fra.html . It sounds like you'd have saved ~$18 CAD if you self cleared. Depending on your location and how much extra work it is, it might not be worth it. On top of that, Most of the DHL agents I talked to had no idea what I was talking about when I said I wanted to self clear. I don't know if they actually don't know or if they're told to do that. Even the CBSA officer said "DHL is harder to deal with then FedEX and UPS"

Personally, I had to drive all over Ottawa to self clear and pick mine up... I'm not sure its worth the $26 I saved.
(02-27-2021, 06:42 PM)FutureBucket Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 12:27 PM)NormandC Wrote: So it looks like I got swindled.  Rolleyes  I got an email this week from DHL that was charging me $55.43CAD and I paid it. About $38 were for GST and another tax, the rest were fees. I'm in Quebec (no mention of PST). KDE Plasma Mobile convergence package purchased during CNY.

Man, Anything but Canada post and you're going to get charged fees. For this reason alone I wish that Pine64 would just use China post, if I'm paying for it why not let me choose?! I don't mind waiting the extra month it'll take. I'm sure its like 2% of us that want this so I get why they stick with DHL. Ah well.

My Guess is theD0ctor is in AB, They Don't have Provincial sales tax and so it'd be much cheaper. That or they didn't get the Convergence Package.

DHL doesn't tell you its an option because they don't make more money when you self clear it. If you're in a bigger city in Québec you should have a CBSA/ASFC office near you. https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/provinces/qc-fra.html . It sounds like you'd have saved ~$18 CAD if you self cleared. Depending on your location and how much extra work it is, it might not be worth it. On top of that, Most of the DHL agents I talked to had no idea what I was talking about when I said I wanted to self clear. I don't know if they actually don't know or if they're told to do that. Even the CBSA officer said "DHL is harder to deal with then FedEX and UPS"

Personally, I had to drive all over Ottawa to self clear and pick mine up... I'm not sure its worth the $26 I saved.
it would make sense if I was from AB haha, but I had this shipped to BC (pst + gst). Maybe I just got lucky?
(02-28-2021, 12:49 AM)theD0ctor Wrote: it would make sense if I was from AB haha, but I had this shipped to BC (pst + gst). Maybe I just got lucky?

Hah, yeah, I guess so. I wonder how much it'd be in AB then. Might be worth it for me to ship it to one of my biddies out there. Sleepy

I usually try to avoid importing but we don't have any of the cool stuff up here. At least you guys (B.C.) have RedRobbin. I miss that place so much. lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 88,288 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04] Luke 73 106,601 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: kat22
  The PinePhone keyboard and cases are here! Luke 11 10,158 03-11-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: nontrivial
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,689 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is now available Luke 1 3,186 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,514 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 164,779 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
  PinePhone BETA Edition pre-orders start March 24 Luke 2 6,003 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 174,624 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,887 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM