VoLTE calls with o2 (Germany)
Hello there,

did anyone manage to set up VoLTE calls with o2 (Germany)?

In my case (Mobian), the modem was automatically set to Telefónica Germany but the phone always switches to 3G for calls.

I'm curious, if other distros can do VoLTE calls with o2 (Germany) and if anyone could provide some help.

Thanks in advance!
This are maybe some good news to you. For me VoLTE on German Telefonica network is so far working well and I got an superior call audio quality.
I'm using pmOS edge on a Ubports CE with a Simplytel sim card by Drillisch. Reception indoors is sometimes problematic but otherwise fine.

As far as I know pmOS is using some AT Commands to select a custom VoLTE profile and sets my APN setting for mobile data automatically.
Their wiki gives you more information about how they are doing it and there is even a request to enable it in Mobian in the near future.
If I were you, I would try to follow their instructions and put them in startup script that is executed on boot. See the Mobian =rc]wiki for a way to do so.

Since I also got only 2G calls while I was using MedionMobile, it is possible that some cheaper providers are not able to do VoLTE on Telefonica Network.
From your post I understand that you are using a O2 plan and should get VoLTE. If above steps are working, please report back on the Mobian to get this merged more quickly.
(02-03-2021, 08:35 AM)synQun Wrote: This are maybe some good news to you. For me VoLTE on German Telefonica network is so far working well and I got an superior call audio quality.
I'm using pmOS edge on a Ubports CE with a Simplytel sim card by Drillisch. Reception indoors is sometimes problematic but otherwise fine.

As far as I know pmOS is using some AT Commands to select a custom VoLTE profile and sets my APN setting for mobile data automatically.
Their wiki gives you more information about how they are doing it and there is even a request to enable it in Mobian in the near future.
If I were you, I would try to follow their instructions and put them in startup script that is executed on boot. See the Mobian =rc]wiki for a way to do so.

Since I also got only 2G calls while I was using MedionMobile, it is possible that some cheaper providers are not able to do VoLTE on Telefonica Network.
From your post I understand that you are using a O2 plan and should get VoLTE. If above steps are working, please report back on the Mobian to get this merged more quickly.

Thanks for your answer. Since my modem is already set to

Code:
+QMBNCFG: "List",9,1,1,"TF_Germany_VoLTE",0x05010C1B,201909201

indicated by the two "1"s, it seems I'll have to wait for the new modem driver and see, if this brings me VoLTE.
Really glad to hear there is at least some hope of VoLTE working! It's something I have been worrying about on the horizon...

Of course, things are different here in US. Maybe I should find another thread about that more specifically (or make one).

Cheers!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Finally...

After a long period of trial&error, my VoLTE with o2 (Germany) works on Mobian. And it was quite easy after all...

Here is what I did:

Disable VoLTE profile autoselection

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0'

Select the generic VoLTE profile

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QMBNCFG="Select","ROW_Generic_3GPP"'

Restart the modem

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+CFUN=1,1'

Check the selected VoLTE profile with

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QMBNCFG="List"'

Check the VoLTE status with

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims"'

--> response should be
Quote:'+QCFG: "ims",1,1'

if it shows "1,0", checking and disabling the phone's "Aeroplane Mode" might help (it was magically on after the reset in my case)

Change the Network Mode in "Settings - Mobile" to "4g Only" and make a test call. It should work.

Cheers!
Hi guys.

I followed you thread and gathered enough hope to try it again. I have tried before to no avail, and this time it ended as the last.

Whatever I configure my modem to do, it does not enable VoLTE but switches to 3G, loses its signal (because 3G i weak) and fails the call.

Any suggestion to wjat I can try?

Oh, and when I try the same SIM in my "moto 8G" with android, it does VoLTE like a charm....sigh. I really want to use my pinephone.

Cheers!
(06-09-2021, 10:29 AM)asz Wrote: Hi guys.

I followed you thread and gathered enough hope to try it again. I have tried before to no avail, and this time it ended as the last.

Whatever I configure my modem to do, it does not enable VoLTE but switches to 3G, loses its signal (because 3G i weak) and fails the call.

Any suggestion to wjat I can try?

Oh, and when I try the same SIM in my "moto 8G" with android, it does VoLTE like a charm....sigh. I really want to use my pinephone.

Cheers!

Have you tried to force your phone to use 4G by choosing "4G only" in the Settings?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,285 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 610 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Buetooth handsfree calls on PinPhone alabasha 7 1,650 08-18-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  pinephone no longer receiving calls or texts jyoung 3 1,693 07-16-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: jyoung
  Handsfree bluetooth calls conifera 0 776 02-28-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: conifera
  Calls, SMS benedikt55 1 909 12-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Can you make reliable calls yet? orbital 26 10,785 10-11-2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: better
  phone calls are enough for now wehape2bees 2 2,003 07-30-2022, 06:06 PM
  Mute function on calls? scrwbigtek 0 712 05-30-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: scrwbigtek
  likely bug, volte does not work when operator side data blockage is activated zetabeta 1 1,217 05-21-2022, 03:03 PM