What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
(02-03-2021, 03:34 AM)kern707 Wrote: What native (mobile optimized) applications would you like to see becoming available for the PinePhone in the near future?

I am not talking about existing applications that are currently not compatible, I am talking about applications that exist on other platforms (such as Android), but are not available for linux phones, and that you would love to have on your PinePhone.

This thread is in order to put together some opinions, that will help developers decide what the end-customer really need / want on their PinePhone, and maybe give it a higher priority.

Any input will be very much appreciated :-)

So right away I feel the need to point out that the PinePhone supports multiple OSs (which they have no control over)—all which vary for support for apps in different ways.

For example, SailfishOS, as I understand it, can actually emulate some Android apps and run them. Arguably, SailfishOS also already comes preloaded with a decent array of native apps (i.e. not Android/iOS) most would probably get use of right out the box. Other OSs like PostmarketOS or Manjaro offer what they do based on their decisions but are also limited to the desktop environment they shuffle. In the case of Manjaro, I believe they like PlasmaMobile... which is KDE whereas others like Mobian make use of Phosh which uses Gnome. Yes, I know there is nothing from stopping someone from running either desktop-distro pairing on whichever distro has an image compatible with the device... I'm merely trying to ingrain the notion that depending on what you decide to use, you HAVE guaranteed things that already work.

What I'm sure this is yet another post for getting Android/iOS apps ported to one of the OSs... in which case this entire thread is misguided if not pointless.

Pine64 has no control over what apps get developed or ported over to projects or distros they obviously do not even manage.

If your intent is to give devs some incentive to develop some app that exists in the Android/iOS space but not on Linux, then I recommend you actually go and bug the developers for those apps. The folks involved with projects like Mobian and PostmarketOS aren't likely to be able to do anything for you regardless of whatever popularity contest is held here.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Android emulation is something I believe most projects are aware of and perhaps are investigating still but go figure...
(03-27-2021, 07:40 AM)thatrandomguy Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 03:34 AM)kern707 Wrote: What native (mobile optimized) applications would you like to see becoming available for the PinePhone in the near future?

I am not talking about existing applications that are currently not compatible, I am talking about applications that exist on other platforms (such as Android), but are not available for linux phones, and that you would love to have on your PinePhone.

This thread is in order to put together some opinions, that will help developers decide what the end-customer really need / want on their PinePhone, and maybe give it a higher priority.

Any input will be very much appreciated :-)

So right away I feel the need to point out that the PinePhone supports multiple OSs (which they have no control over)—all which vary for support for apps in different ways.

For example, SailfishOS, as I understand it, can actually emulate some Android apps and run them. Arguably, SailfishOS also already comes preloaded with a decent array of native apps (i.e. not Android/iOS) most would probably get use of right out the box. Other OSs like PostmarketOS or Manjaro offer what they do based on their decisions but are also limited to the desktop environment they shuffle. In the case of Manjaro, I believe they like PlasmaMobile... which is KDE whereas others like Mobian make use of Phosh which uses Gnome. Yes, I know there is nothing from stopping someone from running either desktop-distro pairing on whichever distro has an image compatible with the device... I'm merely trying to ingrain the notion that depending on what you decide to use, you HAVE guaranteed things that already work.

What I'm sure this is yet another post for getting Android/iOS apps ported to one of the OSs... in which case this entire thread is misguided if not pointless.

Pine64 has no control over what apps get developed or ported over to projects or distros they obviously do not even manage.

If your intent is to give devs some incentive to develop some app that exists in the Android/iOS space but not on Linux, then I recommend you actually go and bug the developers for those apps. The folks involved with projects like Mobian and PostmarketOS aren't likely to be able to do anything for you regardless of whatever popularity contest is held here.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Android emulation is something I believe most projects are aware of and perhaps are investigating still but go figure...

Just some random points for you.

I think you're missing the whole point of the thread. It's a few random people sitting around and talking about what's missing from the PinePhone universe, not requesting any specific person/group to write the applications; since this is the first REAL phone, that I could even think about coding for I find the thread useful.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that PINE64 is just the hardware vendor, and applications come from sources other then PINE64.org/com - It's pretty obvious.

I can expand on this if you'd like, however, going back to the early history of Linux may not be useful at this time, and your post shows you probably know the history. So I'm not going to bore you with it.

Cheers, and I would love to hear what app(s) you'd like to see running on the PinePhone.
Apps or even an app function request is great here.
if you are a linux user, desktop or mobile(ie N900/Maemo), you can also post the source code link to a favorite app, it makes it easier to add to a testing or unstable repo.
Most of these can just be added to an autobuilder and it makes it only a bit of work to adjust the GUI.
In that case : there was a Bitwarden client written in Vala abandonned 3 yrs ago. Was wondering if it was a viable base for a mobile client ...
1st post, as I'm waiting for my pinephone to arrive.

Anyhow.... Here's my list of regularly needed apps: Flashlight, Calculator, Calendar, Email, contacts, file explorer, and a good music player!  Cool
(04-04-2021, 01:14 PM)1madfitter Wrote: 1st post, as I'm waiting for my pinephone to arrive.

Anyhow.... Here's my list of regularly needed apps: Flashlight, Calculator, Calendar, Email, contacts, file explorer, and a good music player!  Cool
Hi! Are you waiting for the Mobian Community Edition? I thought they were all shipped out.

In any case, you will find all of these already in Mobian and other operating systems (except on Plasma Mobile, I don't think there's an email client yet). I mostly use Mobian myself, the Lollypop music player is pretty great and my Anker Mini bluetooth speaker works fine with it. I haven't tried to set up contacts, email and calendar yet.
(04-04-2021, 11:56 PM)NormandC Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 01:14 PM)1madfitter Wrote: 1st post, as I'm waiting for my pinephone to arrive.

Hi! Are you waiting for the Mobian Community Edition? I thought they were all shipped out.

In any case, you will find all of these already in Mobian and other operating systems (except on Plasma Mobile, I don't think there's an email client yet). I mostly use Mobian myself, the Lollypop music player is pretty great and my Anker Mini bluetooth speaker works fine with it. I haven't tried to set up contacts, email and calendar yet.
Sorry for the late reply. I'm waiting on the beta edition convergence package. Thanks for the info!
I would really like to have a decent bible-reading app, and an HP41CX emulator. A solid solution for running Android apps would deliver both, and a whole lot more.
(04-13-2021, 05:00 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote: I would really like to have a decent bible-reading app, and an HP41CX emulator.  A solid solution for running Android apps would deliver both, and a whole lot more.
here is the source for a QT HP41cx emulator
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hp41cx/

How would a bible reader differ from a regular ebook reader like fbreader?
I would need a description of the tool required as I am not sure how an English or other translated bible works or is typically used/studied, in the Hebrew scriptures and later voluminous Aramaic texts with even more voluminous traditional commentary upon commentary an in text proto HTML referencing system is in use so maybe a wikified version of your texts with links converted to a ZIM for use with kiwix would be preferred?
https://github.com/geometer/FBReader/
I think fbreader is already in the unstable repos for most pinephone distros, kiwix has a plugin that should work for Firefox.
https://www.kiwix.org
``How would a bible reader differ from a regular ebook reader like fbreader?''

I'm not familiar with fbreader. 

A bible reader knows about chapter and verse, and can switch between versions, and between bibles and commentaries, and can work with dictionaries and concordances.  On androids, I use mysword, https://www.mysword.info/

Thanks for the pointer to the emulator.  I'll try that on my desktop while I wait for the Pinephone.  On my Blackberry I'm using Desmet's emulator,https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2smet2/home/go41cx.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,114 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,602 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma