What native PinePhone application would you like to see in the near future?
(02-03-2021, 11:34 AM)muppeth Wrote: And epiphany with hardware acceleration.

I second this, webkit-gtk with hardware acceleration (or however else you can achieve the same smoothness as firefox currently has) would benefit not just epiphany but also other apps like geary or gfeeds.
The TV/film industry want (and in most cases, have) control over your device, which is one of the main problems. Therefore Netflix have not "upend"ed anything. lol It's just that the distribution model have changed...

I don't think it is possible to "[do] so on an opt in basis and without compromising the core openness of the project." This is exactly the problem. These sociopaths want unfettered root access and control of millions of devices, just to enforce their private business model. We don't accept this from any other industry, why is the "content" industry special? IMO only because (so far) they have waged a very effective propaganda and legal campaign.

Even if it is technically possible, that does not mean we should do it! Digital Restrictions Management is a bad idea, all the way around, for many different reasons. They have all been outlined at https://www.defectivebydesign.org/, so I won't make all the same points again here.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-03-2021, 11:34 AM)muppeth Wrote: Hi there.
This is my first post since I am a happy owner of PinePhone for last few days.

[OT] Hi muppeth, are you the same one from disroot?
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
The biggest thing keeping me attached to my Android phone currently is that all of my friends use Discord. Theyre just not interested in trying anything else, yet the .deb package and the web version of Discord are optimized for desktop
(02-10-2021, 06:55 PM)deedend Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 11:34 AM)muppeth Wrote: Hi there.
This is my first post since I am a happy owner of PinePhone for last few days.

[OT] Hi muppeth, are you the same one from disroot?
Hi @deedend. What a small world. I;m lurking at the possibility for libre disroot phone Smile 

Sorry for oftop.

(02-09-2021, 06:00 AM)marcih Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 11:34 AM)muppeth Wrote: And epiphany with hardware acceleration.

I second this, webkit-gtk with hardware acceleration (or however else you can achieve the same smoothness as firefox currently has) would benefit not just epiphany but also other apps like geary or gfeeds.
I heard that with new gnome and gtk4 epiphany will receive HW accel. But as said, I just heard via via, so dont have info right from the source. It would make a lot of sense. For now I have been creating ssb apps with firefox but I would love to do it with epiphany. Saves you the need to open terminal to create .desktop file plus you loose the navigation and stuff.
Call Recorder
Sky Map
Kodi
google earth replacement
I don't like the apps for sms text messages using sim card on manjaro/kde.  They are really clunky and not well organized.

I really like CHOMP sms/mms on my samsung android phone.  I would like to see that portred to linux phone.
Not sure if you consider flatpaks native applications?

(02-03-2021, 03:30 PM)deedend Wrote: I would like to have a native Firefox
It's already available on most current distros, at least the GNOME/Phosh-based ones.

(02-03-2021, 03:30 PM)deedend Wrote: password manager (possibly compatible with Keepass database).
Password Safe, available from Flathub as flatpak, fits the bill, and the latest stable version seems to work very well. I tried it quickly but it didn't seem to be plagued with cropped windows like it used to a few months ago.

(02-03-2021, 03:30 PM)deedend Wrote: A good map app would also be good.
Pure Maps from flathub. Streamlined UI. Coupled with OSM Scout Server for offline maps. I got to like it on Ubuntu Touch. I now even prefer it to OSMAnd+, which I find an utter mess. It has a bug on the Pinephone with Mobian though with the default Mapbox map, the target locator doesn't show. I've been meaning to check if the issue was reported. Its developer is very reactive. Pure Maps was initially developed for SailfishOS. One thing that's subpar is the voice directions though. Also, it being flatpack, uses a lot of storage space on a 2GB/16GB Pinephone.

(02-08-2021, 09:59 PM)dekeonus Wrote: A keepass v4 db compatible password manager.
See above. Smile

Forgot to add my own wishlist...
  • An activity tracker (biking, hiking, running, etc) with gps trace recording and viewing
  • A scale app / general health app (being able to export data to csv would be nice)
  • Not a missing app per se: MMS support, but I think it's finally coming
  • Not a missing app per se: video recording support and actually functioning Megapixels app...

That's all I'd require for my Pinephone to be my daily driver. Of course, a better browsing experience would be a bonus...
Yeah, I guess some (for me, also KeePass based) password manager would be in the top few must have apps for "daily driver" usage.

I have been pretty impressed with KeePassXC on desktop Debian for a little while now, but I have no idea how that might work (if it works at all) on mobile. I guess that, so far, I had assumed that might be one place where I roll up my sleeves and maybe try and learn some UI / Phosh stuff, and perhaps contribute.

Or, maybe I check out Password Safe instead and that becomes a usable alternative.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
A native encrypted messenger app, ideally for Session, or Wire.

A decent BitTorrent client would be a boon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,068 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,522 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,477 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,599 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,664 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma