How to reinstall a broken OS on Pinephone's internal storage?
Hi, I've been Pinephoning since November and things got a bit wonky recently. I kept getting annoying on-screen phone shell alerts, and noticed that connectivity seemed to be dropping out when the phone went to sleep, and I was also concerned that I may have missed calls.

More recently I discovered that the phone could no longer retrieve and install updates, which left me wondering how to overwrite the internally stored OS from scratch.

So I went to Manjaro and downloaded the ARM Beta 5 Phosh version, flashed a microSD and booted my Pinephone from that.

I had hoped that it would present me with an option to install the OS to the internal storage, but keep my phone contacts in the process. It didn't, and I can't find a prompt anywhere to achieve that.

Could someone point me in the right direction please? Big Grin

Thanks in advance.
So I've had a bit of a dig on the forums here, and found some excellent advice from member SwordfishII.

He/she suggests the following steps for flashing an OS image to your phone's internal storage. For this you need Jumpdrive and balena Etcher or a similar image-flashing program. Jumpdrive allows your PC to write to the internal phone memory, which appears as a mass storage device when connected via USB cable.

SOFTWARE
-----------------------------------------------
Download Jumpdrive from GitHub: https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...e/releases
For flashing, use balena Etcher: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

STEPS
---------
1) Download Jumpdrive from Github and flash it onto a microSD card
2) Insert the new Jumpdrive microSD card in your phone and reboot it
3) Plug your phone into your computer using a USB cable
4) Flash your operating system image of choice directly onto your phone's internal storage
For byte-sized tech and software tips check out my Danimations Digital Media tips channel on Youtube Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 283 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 189 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 454 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,186 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,695 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 563 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,220 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 465 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,610 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,810 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma