Pinephone = Linux-only smartphone?
Hi,

I find advertising the Pinephone as "Linux-only" on the main website a bit irritating. I mean. it's a relatively open device and capable of running any systems that get ported to it. And it is supported by SailfishOS, Android to some degree as well. Suggestion: Change it to "Linux-first".
(01-24-2021, 06:57 AM)kuleszdl Wrote: Hi,

I find advertising the Pinephone as "Linux-only" on the main website a bit irritating. I mean. it's a relatively open device and capable of running any systems that get ported to it. And it is supported by SailfishOS, Android to some degree as well. Suggestion: Change it to "Linux-first".
"linux-only" could be understood two ways, "pinephone is only phone capable running gnu/linux" or "pinephone can only run gnu/linux". both are wrong! there is librem phone. i'm not fan of android or sailfishos because they contain too much closed elements in it. at least bsd is open source enough, so it should be available. (hint for someone!)

saying previous comment, clearly pinephone is only major phone capable running gnu/linux at the moment. others may emerge and i hope so!
SailfishOS and Android ARE Linux

Could you provide a link where it says "Linux-first"?
When I tried to look for it, I couldn't find it.
I really can't understand the current trend overseas to get irritated by innocent words though.

(01-24-2021, 10:09 AM)tmschmitz Wrote: SailfishOS and Android ARE Linux
They both run on a Linux kernel, so technically they are.
I don't have any experience with Sailfish, but Android has its freedoms pretty well slammed down as a consequence of being made by Google mainstream.
(Android isn't made by just Google, but Google maintains a lot of it, the inclusion of Gapps and Google specific telemetry is what makes it Google.)

I don't really think that removing freedom in return for "convenience" and adding way too much telemetry is the big reason why people want to use Linux.
Even big companies like Canonical (Ubuntu) and Red Hat leave their distributions free (as in freedom) and open, they understand that once you make it closed and telemetry heavy, people will either move to a different distribution, or move to Windows (a closed and spying OS with a huge software library is superior over an equally closed and spying OS with far fewer software).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-25-2021, 04:56 PM)ryo Wrote:

I really can't understand the current trend overseas to get irritated by innocent words though.

The term "Linux-first" was a suggestion I made for the change, so I guess you won't find it anywhere else. :-)

And well, there are many other devices that are capable of running e.g. postmarketOS (which is not exactly GNU+Linux as it's based on Alpine...), but most of these devices have been designed for running Android in the first place. Also, the Pinephone is not the first phone designed for Linux in the first place as there have been devices like the Nokia N900, the Openmoko Runner and many others before.

Although probably most OSes that support the Pinephone are currently running a Linux kernel (like Sailfish or Android), there is no reason why e.g. one of the BSD-systems could not be ported to the Pinephone as well since the Pinephone is actually open for *any* OS. Therefore, there is no limitation in the sense that it could run only Linux (as advertised). And this is what bugs me a bit about this slogan...
Thumbs Up 
(01-24-2021, 10:09 AM)tmschmitz Wrote: SailfishOS and Android ARE Linux

Some people forget history. Tongue
(01-27-2021, 07:27 PM)kuleszdl Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 04:56 PM)ryo Wrote:

The term "Linux-first" was a suggestion I made for the change, so I guess you won't find it anywhere else. :-)

And well, there are many other devices that are capable of running e.g. postmarketOS (which is not exactly GNU+Linux as it's based on Alpine...), but most of these devices have been designed for running Android in the first place. Also, the Pinephone is not the first phone designed for Linux in the first place as there have been devices like the Nokia N900, the Openmoko Runner and many others before.

Although probably most OSes that support the Pinephone are currently running a Linux kernel (like Sailfish or Android), there is no reason why e.g. one of the BSD-systems could not be ported to the Pinephone as well since the Pinephone is actually open for *any* OS. Therefore, there is no limitation in the sense that it could run only Linux (as advertised). And this is what bugs me a bit about this slogan...
If they'd take the same style as LGBTQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFあいうえおДЖФ and the rest of the alphabet, the whole advertising will become extremely vague and people will just cut off from reading mid-sentence.
People who know what BSD is knows what Linux is, but very sometimes not the other way around.
Otherwise, people know that unless it's some mega cooperation distro like Android, Tizen, or iOS/macOS, if you can run Linux on it, you can run BSD or some other UNIX(-like) OS on it too.

As for Alpine, I actually thought that one is a super lightweight Linux distro which is often used in things like Docker.
Probably a mistake?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone successfully flashed an Ox64 (128Mb) from linux? slondr 3 1,635 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 359 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  using Zoom on Pinephone andrew907 5 969 12-09-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 683 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
  [Article] Ox64 BL808 RISC-V SBC: Booting Linux and (maybe) Apache NuttX RTOS lupyuen 2 742 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  [Article] Booting RISC-V Linux on Star64 JH7110 SBC lupyuen 3 1,365 07-05-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  [Article] Inspecting the RISC-V Linux Images for Star64 SBC lupyuen 3 1,224 06-29-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Concerns about Linux future Chief 15 6,248 01-20-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: thaleszop
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,849 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0