What Pine Phone Operating System For A Daily Driver?
I've been happy with Mobian. Of course, there are apps which need to be resized to fit on the screen right. Also, we don't have group SMS and MMS yet. With that, I think this would be my daily driver.
(04-05-2021, 09:35 AM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote: I'm going to say this and you may not like it. What it sounds like you are experiencing is an AT&T VoLTE problem. ...

Perhaps, but the problem does not occur when I boot up on an SD card containing an earlier release of Mobian. (Calls work reliably with that 100% of the time whether the phone is connected via 3G or 4G.)
I am also quite happy with Mobian. The basic functions (phone, SMS, mail, calendar) and many apps work sort of reliably. With Telegram and Signal (or rather: Axolotl) there are two messengers that connect me to most people. Features like maps or the camera do work, though not yet quite as good as one might wish (I use them when I don't have any other choice). My main grievance are the crashes: Sometimes there are only one or two a day and sometimes more than five. I recently said to a friend that using the Pinephone instead of my one-year-old 200 Euro Android phone is like switching from a fully equipped Mercedes to a 2CV. The 2CV may lack a lot of features and it may not always start in Winter -- but it has a lot more charm.
I think it may be Phosh that's causing the problem I'm having with making calls on the up-to-date Mobian installed on my eMMC.

Just for grins I thought I'd try the latest Manjaro (Beta 7). First I SD-booted the Manjaro Phosh edition. This had the exact same problem making calls as my current Mobian installaton. Then I booted up on the Majaro Plasma (KDE) edition and that makes calls flawlessly.
(04-05-2021, 12:58 PM)Zebulon Walton>...the dialer display never changes over to the call display. Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 09:35 AM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote: I'm going to say this and you may not like it. What it sounds like you are experiencing is an AT&T VoLTE problem. ...

Perhaps, but the problem does not occur when I boot up on an SD card containing an earlier release of Mobian. (Calls work reliably with that 100% of the time whether the phone is connected via 3G or 4G.)

I installed the Megi's 17-distro boot SD just so I can boot reliably when I'm having trouble. (I'm running current Mobian from eMMC.) The 17-distro SD card also provides Jumpdrive with absolutely reliable MTP file transfer capability when I grow weary of using sftp and samba! I never update any of the OSes on the 17-boot SD card.

However, I've found that sometimes a reboot to eMMC Mobian brings phone functionality back to life too and then I can make a call.

My dialer GUI started working after I updated phoc to unstable a few weeks ago but currently I think the stable branch uses the same phoc and phosh code as unstable and I've gone back to 100% stable for updates/dist-upgrades.

Originally, spurious phosh resets motivated me to install the unstable branch phoc and phosh. See this thread (debug procedures discussed near the bottom), but I've not had the phosh crashes lately.

https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/243

(04-04-2021, 10:26 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: As far as MTP, I was wondering what happened. Previously if the Pinephone's USB cable was plugged into a Linux computer files could easily be copied back and forth. (Files copied to the phone would be owned and accessible only by root but "sudo chown -R" easily fixed that.) Today I had some files to transfer and thought I'd do it that way but of course it didn't work. (I used sshfs instead.)

Hopefully these regressions will be fixed in the near future.
Note: I got bit by the persistent quoting functionality of this forum in my posts and lost most of my previous reply to your above post by trying to clean up a quote mess that I created.

Anyway, here's the history of Mobian MTP and my unsuccessful argument that its removal was mostly moot:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/232

If the security issue is a problem for a user, it's easy for them to remove MTP but very difficult to install and configure it again since it was defeatured! I've not been able to get it working again.
Quote:Note: I got bit by the persistent quoting functionality of this forum in my posts and lost most of my previous reply to your above post by trying to clean up a quote mess that I created.

Yeah, the way quoting is done here can be a bit of a pain! I got around it here by using the simple editor and manually copying text and inserting the quote tags.

For now it looks like if I want to use the Pinephone as a computer I'll boot up on the eMMC, if I need to make calls with it will boot up on Manjaro Plasma. Maybe I'll give the multi-boot image a try as well. Tried it a while ago but don't recall what worked and what didn't.

Presumably these dialing issues will be worked out at some point so I'll periodically update Mobian and check it. I do want to stick with Mobian ultimately since I've been running Debian or Debian derivatives on just about everything else for ages and it's what I'm most familiar with. Certainly would be nice to have MTP back as well, but the dialer issue is the real killer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 932 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,742 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,067 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,613 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,417 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous