Replaced USB-C side board, touch screen goes nuts
Back when I replaced my cracked screen I managed to damage the vibration motor attached to the USB-C board. Not a really vital function, but I went ahead and ordered another board to replace it.

After installation there is still no vibration, but the worst part is that the touch screen has become erratic. It acts as though an "invisible finger" is giving it random input and doesn't react predictably to real touch. I reseated cable connections on the USB board and main board but still the same result. Also tried booting off an SD card rather then eMMC with no change. (It didn't seem like a software problem but I wanted to make sure.) Putting the old USB board back in also didn't change anything.

So... what is the most likely thing I messed up while in there?
Update:  It appears the problem was caused by a new charger that I was using. I've been using a generic 2A USB charger from eBay that worked perfectly. So I ordered another one as a spare, and that came in the same time as my USB side board. So I didn't give a thought to powering the phone up with the new charger after installing the new side board. (I normally have the phone plugged into the mains when using it at home.)

Turns out that if I use the old charger or just run off the battery that the phone works fine. So the new charger is either off voltage or sending some kind of disruptive signal or spikes into the phone and making it go crazy.

As far as the buzzer problem I'm not sure why that didn't work when the new USB board was installed. Of course the wiring is fragile but as far as I can see nothing was damaged. It maybe be related to the same problem, so when I get a chance I'll try reinstalling the new board.
(01-10-2021, 04:09 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Update:  It appears the problem was caused by a new charger that I was using. I've been using a generic 2A USB charger from eBay that worked perfectly. So I ordered another one as a spare, and that came in the same time as my USB side board. So I didn't give a thought to powering the phone up with the new charger after installing the new side board. (I normally have the phone plugged into the mains when using it at home.)

Turns out that if I use the old charger or just run off the battery that the phone works fine. So the new charger is either off voltage or sending some kind of disruptive signal or spikes into the phone and making it go crazy.

As far as the buzzer problem I'm not sure why that didn't work when the new USB board was installed. Of course the wiring is fragile but as far as I can see nothing was damaged. It maybe be related to the same problem, so when I get a chance I'll try reinstalling the new board.
Figure anything out on this one?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 269 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,122 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 915 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 140,312 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  USB C side board out of stock gab 3 1,760 12-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: fxc
  What Adhesive to buy for daughter board? LogosCoder 1 960 11-28-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 2,960 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,479 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,631 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,866 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple