Thoughts on 30 day hardware warranty?
What are the community's thoughts about the 30 day hardware warranty on the Pinephone?  It's basically what's been holding me back from pulling the trigger on one.  In light of the recent news about the upcoming retail channel, I posted comments there and under the December update asking this question, and even tried to PM Lukasz but never heard back.  I was wondering if there were plans this year for a more traditional warranty than the 30 days.  I'm a Linux enthusiast so I feel right at home in the community (and not the retail channel), but, one's Linux or software expertise has nothing to do with the risk of developing a hardware problem after 30 days.  Perhaps is the concern not so great because the hardware is so inexpensive and the boards can be purchased and replaced?
You can't get the Pinephone this cheap and expect full warranty. That's why i think that the deal is fair (as long as at least the 30 days warranty is honored). Having a retail channel with much longer warranty is definitely a plus. I probably would still buy from this site, trusting my software & hardware skills. Probably overestimating both.
If you think of it, buying parts and sending the phone to the nearest by repair shop with it is probably still cheaper than sending the whole thing back to Hong Kong for repair, and having them send it back again.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
There is one part of the community that is blinded by fanboyism, and there is another part of the community that recognizes that nothing is preventing Pine64 from behaving professionally and treating the community with greater respect by providing a proper warranty.
I understood that future retail shops will provide a longer warranty for additional $100: https://www.pine64.org/2020/12/02/pine-s...il-stores/.
(01-06-2021, 02:41 AM)Veraendert Wrote: You can't get the Pinephone this cheap and expect full warranty. That's why i think that the deal is fair (as long as at least the 30 days warranty is honored). Having a retail channel with much longer warranty is definitely a plus. I probably would still buy from this site, trusting my software & hardware skills. Probably overestimating both.
i basically agree, price is too low for longer warranty. however, i think warranty should include ticket days, meaning that warranty will apply if ticket is before than end of warranty.
Why not 7 years / 70000 miles?

Spend 30 days putting it though it's paces. If it hasn't failed by then...
(01-06-2021, 11:04 AM)desca Wrote: There is one part of the community that is blinded by fanboyism, and there is another part of the community that recognizes that nothing is preventing Pine64 from behaving professionally and treating the community with greater respect by providing a proper warranty.

Has nothing to do with "fanboyism"... I would love it if the PinePhone actually had a year warranty but the community happens to be littered with "fanboys" who think they know all there is to know about Linux and projects like these—and insist that orgs like Pine64 fulfill their entitled wishes "just because".

Doesn't matter how the PinePhone was marketed.... if you don't do your research for what it is you're buying, what's the point?

Unfortunately, because you do not put thought as to why this kind of "product" is being sold at the price tag at is with the gimmicky hardware it has, then you will ultimately never be convinced otherwise. Not my problem.
(01-06-2021, 02:41 AM)Veraendert Wrote: You can't get the Pinephone this cheap and expect full warranty. That's why i think that the deal is fair (as long as at least the 30 days warranty is honored). Having a retail channel with much longer warranty is definitely a plus. I probably would still buy from this site, trusting my software & hardware skills. Probably overestimating both.
Yes, but 30 days?  I think 90 days might be fairer.  My basic problem is, Lukasz talked about software support in the posts about establishing a retail channel.. not hardware support.  I totally agree with that aspect, I'm willing to slog through all the Linux and software issues here on my own, but I don't think it's fair to expect one to have hardware skills to try to repair damaged hardware.  Of course coming from someone with no hardware skills Smile
I compiled the Pinephone component list for the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_component_list
The PinePhone has 674 components in the two PCBs, whereas a typical Android phone has roughly 400 components. The A64 only costs $3 per chip, but the Quectel modem probably costs $25 and the Realtek WiFi/BT probably costs $2.50, so you are talking about the equivalent to a Snapdragon 600-series in terms of costs, and once you add in all the extra resistors, capacitors and ICs and the low volume production, you are talking about a $300 phone, if the Pinephone was sold by a normal phone maker with a standard warranty and standard support.

If you want an Android phone with convergence, you are going to pay $800 or higher, so the PinePhone Convergence Package is a good deal.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone64 warranty ionmich 2 747 07-06-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  UI crashes after unplugging USB device, seen on multiple OSes; is my hardware broken? slondr 1 898 11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: slondr
Sad How many other users recieved a phone with FAULTY HARDWARE? johnnykeys 16 12,749 06-22-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Unhappy with immature Hardware jojuma 1 1,430 04-18-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Heart Pinephone compatability in Sweden with Telia and some other thoughts and insights! Lubbvard-tentakel 1 1,254 04-13-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Hardware version identification? g40 4 2,655 01-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Last Post: g40
  Newbie - Arch Linux - Carrier Info - Thoughts mikehenson 6 3,634 10-29-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Battery life: Maybe really a hardware issue? KNERD 34 20,957 09-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Video playback with hardware acceleration jojuma 2 2,901 08-21-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: jojuma