Trisquel Mini
I want to to use the H64 B as a desktop...surfing the web and e-mail, etc.

I want to try Trisquel Mini ( 1.2 GB)  with at least 64 GB eMMC. I "Think" it should work as Ubutu supposedly works, and Trisquel is the more secure version of Ubuntu...

Any advice?

Thanks!
@Basic Unfortunately, as far as I know, trisquel only offers builds for x86/amd64 on their website and does not support ARM64 at the moment.

If you want to run your desktop without blobs (which is why I suppose you want to use Trisquel) I recommend using Debian instead. See these threads:

- https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10645
- https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11703

However, please be warned that the built-in wifi does not work without blobs at the moment. Also, the support status of the ethernet is rather unclear. Last but not least, Debian is more universal than Ubuntu/Trisquel and does not ship a "nicely preconfigured" desktop. However, you can install LXDE or LXQt yourself and make a few changes to it which will result in something close to Trisquel.
(01-11-2021, 12:35 PM)kuleszdl Wrote: @Basic Unfortunately, as far as I know, trisquel only offers builds for x86/amd64 on their website and does not support ARM64 at the moment.

If you want to run your desktop without blobs (which is why I suppose you want to use Trisquel) I recommend using Debian instead. See these threads:

- https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10645
- https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11703

However, please be warned that the built-in wifi does not work without blobs at the moment. Also, the support status of the ethernet is rather unclear. Last but not least, Debian is more universal than Ubuntu/Trisquel and does not ship a "nicely preconfigured" desktop. However, you can install LXDE or LXQt yourself and make a few changes to it which will result in something close to Trisquel.

Thank you for the information.

I have a lot to study in your reply, that is why I chose the name "basic". Big Grin

Do you ( or any one else) have an opinion on Majaro KDE Plasma made for the Rock Pro?
( I presume the differences are minimal?)
I would rather say the difference is rather big. In the end, it's the difference between using a rolling distro or a "frozen" one like Debian/Ubuntu. Personally, I prefer the latter as I like to have a system that - once I got it working - keeps working and does not occasionally break after updates. If you are more on the edgy side and want to have the newest stuff, a rolling distro might be the better option. Also, when running on not-so-well-supported hardware (like the PINE-H64) hardware support might be a lot better.

Yet, I think that it's pretty feasible to run the H6 with the combination of Debian stable and an unstable kernel (eventually using a usb-ethernet-adapter if the driver makes trouble). The upcoming Debian 11 version (bullseye) should have better support for the H6, although I doubt it will officially support it ootb.
(01-14-2021, 04:01 PM)kuleszdl Wrote: I would rather say the difference is rather big. In the end, it's the difference between using a rolling distro or a "frozen" one like Debian/Ubuntu. Personally, I prefer the latter as I like to have a system that - once I got it working - keeps working and does not occasionally break after updates. If you are more on the edgy side and want to have the newest stuff, a rolling distro might be the better option. Also, when running on not-so-well-supported hardware (like the PINE-H64) hardware support might be a lot better.

Yet, I think that it's pretty feasible to run the H6 with the combination of Debian stable and an unstable kernel (eventually using a usb-ethernet-adapter if the driver makes trouble). The upcoming Debian 11 version (bullseye) should have better support for the H6, although I doubt it will officially support it ootb.

Again thank you for the info.

I had issues with Ubuntu, especially when they added the "null" session ( geust user) years ago. I just "fixed" 2 laptops belonging to my wife and daughter operating on windows, my daughter's required a new hard drive and Trisquel. As much as it was a pain, it is nice to see her use Linux.

I am leary about Debian due to it's origins, that is all I can say on the matter.

I looked up the differences ( h64/ Rock pro) and indeed you are correct.

I suppose if I go the H64 route, I would have to wait for the Manjaro community to provide a specific immage for it's startup requirements and system requirements.
proper Manjaro support would be nice as it supports many other PINE devices fairly well.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(02-18-2021, 10:08 PM)zer0sig Wrote: proper Manjaro support would be nice as it supports many other PINE devices fairly well.

Yes it would. I have used it on some other non-pine64 devices, after one failed update that scrambled the OS, I managed to get a working updated image, and was impressed.