Easiest way to use Android applications on Pinephone
Hello, now I have my Pinephone device. In the future I plan to use ArchLinux (or something similar) for my main mobile OS. However right now I have following problem: Many banks which I have to use started to replace webbased onlinebanking with Android apps (this apps need normally access to all images, contacts and another private data. Even when this is not necessary for the functionality, this apps will not work when you not grant the permission). So, because of this I plan to prepare some isolated enviroments, in ideal case one Android installation per banking app. Is it possible to do with Pinephone this time? I see that there is a development of GloDroid, but is it possible to use this time? Maybe then I will simply change SD-cards with differend GloDroid installations. Or maybe someone can recommend another easier/better solution?
In my experience, most bank apps check to see what operating system you're using and only allow official non-rooted Android versions.

But if my bank tried getting access to all that stuff I'd switch banks!
(12-23-2020, 05:18 AM)esud Wrote: However right now I have following problem: Many banks which I have to use started to replace webbased onlinebanking with Android apps (this apps need normally access to all images, contacts and another private data.
They really went this far now in whatever country you're in!?
Happy new year 1984...

In this case, it's probably best to buy a cheap Android phone which you use exclusively for banking with no SIM inserted and leave it at home.
Which is important, because most likely you'll forget to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth (if it actually turns off at all) if you take it with you, which'll make you trackable, and having a Pinephone with you will have no meaning.

(12-23-2020, 06:31 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: In my experience, most bank apps check to see what operating system you're using and only allow official non-rooted Android versions.
It depends on the bank.
Mizuho bank for example does that, but luckily they still offer a web based system which has 95% more functionality.
Or otherwise I'd just go to the nearest by convenience store to check how much money I have, and take out all I have in cash (which I do every month).

GMO Aozora on the other hand lets you use a jailbroken iPhone or a rooted Android just fine, they don't care.
Then again, GMO provides banking only as a side business, it's primarily a server hosting company.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
I am currently setting up an Android VM on my Home computer, then accessing it via mobile data -> rdp to the Android VM.

I have certain work apps I need only available on google play store. I already have the VM setup with the apps needed installed, just gatta setup port forwarding!
have you seen this?
https://www.itproportal.com/news/canonic...the-cloud/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,342 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 279 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,156 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,939 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,711 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,938 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,759 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 815 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,838 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,111 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega