PinePhone Game Thread
Can we get a sticky/important on this thread?

I'm starting an official(unofficial?) Pinephone games thread!  We have one for the PinebookPro, and I feel like this will help others looking to run games and stuff without all the digging and wasted hours (I spent maaaaaaaaany on zand).

First up: Zandronum
Code:
#https://wiki.zandronum.com/Compiling_Zandronum_on_Linux#Debian.2FUbuntu <---deps for general zandronum building

Building on Pinephone:
mkdir /Games <--doesn't matter where but preferably /home/user/Games
cd Games

grab these deps (doesn't matter if they don't all take, most will already probably be there on the device)
pacman -S --needed gcc make cmake sdl mercurial zlib bzip2 libjpeg-turbo \
fluidsynth gtk2 timidity++ nasm mesa glu openssl tar glew

sudo pacman -Syu
base-devel
cmake
sdl2
glew-wayland
glew1.10
libglvnd
openssl
sqlite3
gtk2
zlib
nasm
gxmessage kdialog fluidsynth
sdl sdl2
extra/glu

#now with all those it should build correctly

make sure you're still in /Games

git clone https://github.com/ptitSeb/zandronum
cd zandronum
mkdir build
cd build

ccmake ..
"c" to configure
NO_FMOD=ON
NO_ASM=ON
NO_OPENAL=OFF
hit "t"
set CFLAGS to -mcpu=native
hit "c" to configure
hit "g" to generate

make -j4
============================================================================
it *should* build but *if* it fails then you will need to go to the source folder

navigate to game-music-emu and fine CMakelists.txt and around line 87 or so change [3-9] to [0-9]

make -j4 should now work
============================================================================
in the place you built it type ./zandronum

if it asks for a wad it's built!

(put wads wherever, or in the zandronum.ini folder, but link them!!!!

It's not much, but whenever I find spare time I've been taking a crack at various games available on Mobian via apt and Flatpak, and adding them to the games section on this wiki.

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=apps

Everyone is free to add to the wiki if they want, but if it's too tedious I can add them for you! just mention the games here and I'll add them (eventually).

Also it would be nice to have dedicated lists like this for each different phone OS, but a LOT of compatibility for games right now hinge on phosh improving. Once Phosh reaches a certain level of polish, suddenly tons of games will just work.
(12-08-2020, 09:36 AM)patrickmollohan Wrote: I previously added (and now recently updated) ARM support for GB Studio 2 (a drag-and-drop GameBoy/GameBoy Color game creator) and submitted a pull request to the GitHub repo. It hasn't been accepted yet, but the creator of the program did test it previously and liked the idea, so I'm hoping it will be accepted soon. I tested it on Mobian; Phosh isn't great for it (even with scale-to-fit enabled), but if you install Gnome, the program is more usable. This is, however, a better program for the convergence feature, since things are kinda small on the screen.

Awesome man!  I wonder if I can get this working on arch/xfce on the PineTab? (or debian PBP)

I've been trying to build my favorite Unix game, rogue, on the Pinephone but still have compilation errors to track down. A problem is that the code is ancient, written in prehistoric K&R C. (I used to play it on VAX BSD 4.1 back in the early 1980s). There is some linux-ized source code available and I've built it on my Ubuntu desktop system but no joy on the Pinephone yet. (Actually just having a phone where one can ssh in to use a C compiler and makefiles etc. is a real hoot all on its own.)

The source code I've been working with is here:

https://codeload.github.com/Davidslv/rogue/zip/master

So far I've had to download the latest config.guess from github to get the configure script to work, and installed the ncurses library dependency, but there are still some problems with declaration of variables, functions, and structures.
(12-08-2020, 07:25 AM)PixelPaintbrush Wrote: Can we get a sticky/important on this thread?

I'm starting an official(unofficial?) Pinephone games thread!  We have one for the PinebookPro, and I feel like this will help others looking to run games and stuff without all the digging and wasted hours (I spent maaaaaaaaany on zand).

Hello,
Nice to meet you.

I have tested it with Manjaro Community edition updated OS

I've been tested Zandronum but the only game I could run was Doom1, is it normal?
Regards,
Seb
(12-14-2020, 02:35 AM)tekman Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:25 AM)PixelPaintbrush Wrote: Can we get a sticky/important on this thread?

Hello,
Nice to meet you.

I've been tested Zandronum but the only game I could run was Doom1, is it normal?
Regards,
Seb

Did you try DOOM2.wad?  I've gotten them all to run, make sure you point the directory to all of your I and P Wad files.

(12-14-2020, 07:57 PM)Yesterday I found 2 others that worked but they look very similar. (freedoom2, ultdoom2-dv2.9.wad) Wrote: I placed the wad file in the ~/.config/zandronum, is something better could be done?
Anyway thank you for the work done.

PixelPaintbrush
(12-14-2020, 02:35 AM)tekman Wrote:

Hello,
Nice to meet you.

Regards,
Seb

Did you try DOOM2.wad?  I've gotten them all to run, make sure you point the directory to all of your I and P Wad files.
Great idea! I am not much into games, but I forked MGLapps with LINMOBapps a while ago, and since then I've singled out the games to a Game List.
Maybe some interesting games are on there (many seem to be FOSS Android Games, so YMMV).
Mails, Merge Requests are totally appreciated, if someone wants to take over maintaining the list, please get in touch!

BTW: SuperTuxKart is playable, if anyone is into racing games: https://devtube.dev-wiki.de/videos/watch...86129f2662
I tried getting pygame working on pmOS, and after a night of dependency hell, I finally got it installed, but it fails to actually run anything I've tested on it so far.

I do play the daily crosswords on vox.com (Monday - Saturday, sadly no Sunday crosswords). that's about the extent that I've got gaming going on the PP.

oh, I did play Gnome-2048 for a while, but the gesture program in sxmo drives me insane so I've stopped playing it. it worked well, except that I would constantly change work spaces unless I manually killed lisgd.
Hey guys, so I just tested something pretty cool. The Gnome Games app, as well as Retroarch and the game FreeDink all have functional controller support using the razer kishi.

Retroarch doesn't have any usable cores out of the gate and is prone to crashing, but I can 100% navigate that bad boy's menu using controller buttons.

FreeDink fits on the screen and is completely playable via controller, but the text is uncomfortably small and the graphics have aged like milk. I remember fondly playing this one growing up, but bless it it's not the prettiest game.

It's not perfect, but I get so hyped whenever I see that progress like this is happening!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,090 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 460 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,601 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma