Librem 5 (finally) shipping
(11-30-2020, 12:09 PM)fsflover Wrote: [quote pid='84711' dateline='1606757935']
too pricey for me with not enough freedom. the Librem is a very closed ecosystem

What is closed about it? It's the only phone recommended by the FSF. It's not precisely open hardware yet, but far ahead any other phone, including Pinephone.
[/quote]
I Was under the impression that you were stuck with PureOS, but I see now that I was mistaken
For the very steep $1000+ starting price point of that phone, it better offer a combination of the smoothness and flawlessness of an iOS eco-system (before Apple started to go down heel and care only about profit, I mean), a build quality of a Mercedes Maybach, and the Privacy features of a genuine military issued SAT phone..

Sorry to be honest, my 2 cents
(12-01-2020, 04:09 AM)kern707 Wrote: For the very steep $1000+ starting price point of that phone

What do you mean? It costs $800. I preordered early for $600.
(12-01-2020, 04:36 AM)fsflover Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 04:09 AM)kern707 Wrote: For the very steep $1000+ starting price point of that phone

What do you mean? It costs $800. I preordered early for $600.

Sorry, maybe I should have made that clear- I was referring to the "USA edition" that was shown in the link attached in one of the previous replies, which is advertised as being from a privacy aspect on another level, which is being offered for a shocking price of $1999.

but heck, even with a $800 price tag, it is still steep, taking into consideration that the Liberm 5 (according to a few early reviewers) is not yet fully functional, to say the least.

I would also like to take this opportunity, since you have said that you have bought one, and ask - why is the price so high? what properties does the Liberm5 has that makes it much more expensive from say, the PinePhone?
(12-01-2020, 07:23 AM)kern707 Wrote: I would also like to take this opportunity, since you have said that you have bought one, and ask - why is the price so high? what properties does the Liberm5 has that makes it much more expensive from say, the PinePhone?

You can find extended answers in the table comparing Librem 5 and Pinephone (see "reasons to buy") and in the community wiki.

In short, LIbrem 5 presents 6 innovations in the smartphones (accessible killswitches, removable modem/wireless, smart cards, lifetime updates, fully libre OS). The last two mean that it's the most free smartphone ever created (it will be getting Respects Your Freedom certification) and the company contributes FLOSS to the community. Half of the Pinephones work with Phosh created by Purism (so I'm supporting Pinephones).

Librem 5 is also significantly faster (the speed of RAM and videocard). Finally, Purism has an official goal to change the industry for the better and they have already made some steps in this direction.

(12-01-2020, 07:23 AM)kern707 Wrote: Liberm 5 (according to a few early reviewers) is not yet fully functional, to say the least

The problem with early reviewers is that they did not review the final mass production batch (Evergreen). This batch only started shipping in November and solves almost all of the early problems (except partly software, but it's getting better quickly). Basic functionality already works well enough according to those who received Evergreen.
(12-01-2020, 08:25 AM)fsflover Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 07:23 AM)kern707 Wrote: I would also like to take this opportunity, since you have said that you have bought one, and ask - why is the price so high? what properties does the Liberm5 has that makes it much more expensive from say, the PinePhone?

You can find extended answers in the table comparing Librem 5 and Pinephone (see "reasons to buy") and in the community wiki.

In short, LIbrem 5 presents 6 innovations in the smartphones (accessible killswitches, removable modem/wireless, smart cards, lifetime updates, fully libre OS). The last two mean that it's the most free smartphone ever created (it will be getting Respects Your Freedom certification) and the company contributes FLOSS to the community. Half of the Pinephones work with Phosh created by Purism (so I'm supporting Pinephones).

Librem 5 is also significantly faster (the speed of RAM and videocard). Finally, Purism has an official goal to change the industry for the better and they have already made some steps in this direction.

(12-01-2020, 07:23 AM)kern707 Wrote: Liberm 5 (according to a few early reviewers) is not yet fully functional, to say the least

The problem with early reviewers is that they did not review the final mass production batch (Evergreen). This batch only started shipping in November and solves almost all of the early problems (except partly software, but it's getting better quickly). Basic functionality already works well enough according to those who received Evergreen.

Thanks for the detailed reply  Smile
Uh oh, I may have inadvertently started a flame war... Big Grin The intention of this thread was to share real experiences and comparisons for users who have received their Librem 5 and also have the Pinephone, so we can hear what the real-world usability differences are (modem!). Aside that, you know, Librem 5 backers/buyers are basically funding the development of all the phone-specific software that we, the Pinephone-only owners, are freeloading off of. Wink
No problem as far as I'm concerned. If I could justify (and afford) spending Librem 5 money on a phone I might well do so, but I'm not one of those people who lives on their phone to begin with and a Librem 5 would really be stretching the old budget.

The pinephone looks to me like a great way to escape the Apple and Google ecosystems at a price point affordable to many. I'm finding for my purposes even at its current state of development I'd probably be able to use it as daily phone running Mobian if there were a decent belt holster available for it - I've got the main functions working but can't figure out how to carry the thing around, it's so much larger, not to mention more delicate, than my simple flip phone.
2 different models that complement each other.
Purism has paid devs interfacing the OS to the hardware. We have volunteers.
We have a huge volunteer community integrating software into the phones. Purism has customers waiting for our software.

IMHO
LF
(12-01-2020, 09:52 AM)marcih Wrote: Uh oh, I may have inadvertently started a flame war... Big Grin The intention of this thread was to share real experiences and comparisons for users who have received their Librem 5 and also have the Pinephone, so we can hear what the real-world usability differences are (modem!). Aside that, you know, Librem 5 backers/buyers are basically funding the development of all the phone-specific software that we, the Pinephone-only owners, are freeloading off of. Wink

Not a flame war, as much as it concern to me Smile just healthy discussion.
Other than Phosh that was developed for the Liberm, of which software are we PinePhone users "freeloading" off ? and mind you, for a company who aim to sell $800 Beta phones, I would say that we PinePhone users are not freeloaders, we "pay back" by testing Phosh for free Smile so it is a win-win IMHO

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Updates curtisg 0 775 07-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: curtisg
  High shipping costs Peter Gamma 18 13,601 06-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  WTS: (Rarely used) Pinephone Beta Edition with Convergence Package - DHL shipping vatin 3 1,954 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: vatin
  Comparing the Librem 5 USA and PinePhone Beta amosbatto 6 3,425 12-11-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Shipping to Russia in 2021 cyberpunk_on_pinephone 8 8,250 12-09-2021, 03:32 PM
Last Post: hyperkahler
  Comparing a Huawei smartphone to the PinePhone and Librem 5 amosbatto 0 1,171 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
  Shipping estimate unrealb2 12 8,510 09-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Thumbs Down Extreme disappointement with Pine's shipping department disappointment 26 16,288 09-11-2021, 10:55 PM
  Pinephone shipping to UK nb8550 2 2,722 09-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Last Post: User 22018
  Shipping stuck on creating label, tracking complaints wizardofthemodem 3 3,524 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: zvand