FydeOS for You - Pinebook Pro
You need to install bsp u-boot on EMMC but be sure to backup your /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf before you install the old u-boot and restore it soon after otherwise manjaro won't boot anymore.
You need to do that on emmc because that's the first place where the pbp looks for u-boot then the u-boot will look for sd,usb or emmc and boot the system.
use pacman to install the uboot so you'll see in pacman's output the dd commands to issue as root (or with sudo). You need to flash 3 files for uboot-bsp
(01-06-2021, 04:52 AM)cefre00 Wrote: So if we get Manjaro's uboot and flash it to the already written SD card it should boot?
Sorry, but I'm afraid some of us need further guidance on this.

Boot into Manjaro and open a terminal.

Use lsblk or disk managing app to identify eMMC.

Install BSP uboot:

Code:
sudo pacman -S uboot-pinebookpro-bsp

After installing run the commands given in the terminal:

Code:
sudo dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=64 conv=notrunc
sudo dd if=/boot/uboot.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=16384 conv=notrunc
sudo dd if=/boot/trust.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=24576 conv=notrunc

That's it. you've installed BSP uboot from the Manjaro repos.
(01-07-2021, 08:15 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 04:52 AM)cefre00 Wrote: So if we get Manjaro's uboot and flash it to the already written SD card it should boot?

Install BSP uboot:

Code:

Code:

Thank you! Smile

EDIT:
So I tried it out, typing these words from FydeOS right now. I think the peformance is superior, something you would look for in 2021. Watching a 60 fps 720p youtube video: no problem, 1080p not so much though. FydeOS seems to be nice, but there is a little screenflickering which I only encountered on kernel 4.4 Debian on this rig before, very strange. I think ChromiumOS is the go with this machine or terminal Linux, because GUI Linux is just way too slow.

EDIT2:
And now my Manjaro installation is not booting anymore in the EMMC. Big Grin Unbelievable...
(01-08-2021, 02:47 AM)cefre00 Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 08:15 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Install BSP uboot:

Code:

Code:

Thank you! Smile

EDIT:
So I tried it out, typing these words from FydeOS right now. I think the peformance is superior, something you would look for in 2021. Watching a 60 fps 720p youtube video: no problem, 1080p not so much though. FydeOS seems to be nice, but there is a little screenflickering which I only encountered on kernel 4.4 Debian on this rig before, very strange. I think ChromiumOS is the go with this machine or terminal Linux, because GUI Linux is just way too slow.

EDIT2:
And now my Manjaro installation is not booting anymore in the EMMC. Big Grin Unbelievable...

I also could not get FydeOS to boot from SD card.
I followed the instructions, and FydeOS does now boot from SD card but the original Manjero does not.
Specifically I followed the instructions substituting X for 2 because Manjaro is on /dev/mmcblk2
I also noticed when installing uboot-pinebookpro-bsp that this conflicted with uboot-pinebookpro which was removed.
1. What did I do wrong?
2. Is there a way to get Manjaro working again?
If not then it's slightly annoying but not a disaster.  I might even reimage the EMMC with ChromeOS for a while to play with it.
(01-12-2021, 07:40 AM)dieselnutjob Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 02:47 AM)cefre00 Wrote: So I tried it out, typing these words from FydeOS right now. I think the peformance is superior, something you would look for in 2021. Watching a 60 fps 720p youtube video: no problem, 1080p not so much though. FydeOS seems to be nice, but there is a little screenflickering which I only encountered on kernel 4.4 Debian on this rig before, very strange. I think ChromiumOS is the go with this machine or terminal Linux, because GUI Linux is just way too slow.

EDIT2:

I followed the instructions, and FydeOS does now boot from SD card but the original Manjero does not.
Specifically I followed the instructions substituting X for 2 because Manjaro is on /dev/mmcblk2
I also noticed when installing uboot-pinebookpro-bsp that this conflicted with uboot-pinebookpro which was removed.
1. What did I do wrong?
If not then it's slightly annoying but not a disaster.  I might even reimage the EMMC with ChromeOS for a while to play with it.

This goes back to what I mentioned earlier. BSP uboot and mainline kernels don't play very well together. You could try booting a linux from SD, and writing pcm720's bsp uboot and see if that works any better for you.

That's actually all you have to go to get manjaro back up; boot in from SD, replace the uboot on the emmc, reboot from emmc.

my setup is a bit different (i have CrOS on my emmc, and boot linux's from SD) so I'm not 100% why it's not booting correctly :/ you may be able to find appropriate assistance/support on manjaro's forum.
(01-12-2021, 07:51 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:40 AM)dieselnutjob Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 02:47 AM)cefre00 Wrote: So I tried it out, typing these words from FydeOS right now. I think the peformance is superior, something you would look for in 2021. Watching a 60 fps 720p youtube video: no problem, 1080p not so much though. FydeOS seems to be nice, but there is a little screenflickering which I only encountered on kernel 4.4 Debian on this rig before, very strange. I think ChromiumOS is the go with this machine or terminal Linux, because GUI Linux is just way too slow.

EDIT2:

1. What did I do wrong?

This goes back to what I mentioned earlier. BSP uboot and mainline kernels don't play very well together. You could try booting a linux from SD, and writing pcm720's bsp uboot and see if that works any better for you.

That's actually all you have to go to get manjaro back up; boot in from SD, replace the uboot on the emmc, reboot from emmc.

my setup is a bit different (i have CrOS on my emmc, and boot linux's from SD) so I'm not 100% why it's not booting correctly :/ you may be able to find appropriate assistance/support on manjaro's forum.

The CrOS you mentioned is the FydeOS or the original ChromeOS?
(01-12-2021, 09:52 AM)cefre00 Wrote: The CrOS you mentioned is the FydeOS or the original ChromeOS?

i cant recall which at the moment, but they both still work the same (fyde is forked from ayufan's CrOS.)
(01-12-2021, 10:35 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 09:52 AM)cefre00 Wrote: The CrOS you mentioned is the FydeOS or the original ChromeOS?

i cant recall which at the moment, but they both still work the same (fyde is forked from ayufan's CrOS.)

Thanks, I was just wondering if the Ayufan version would also have play store available.
(01-12-2021, 06:54 PM)cefre00 Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 10:35 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Thanks, I was just wondering if the Ayufan version would also have play store available.

It won’t. Only fyde does. They put extra work into making play store available
Must admit sorting the different Uboot made all the difference

I did the more brutal method of installing the BSP Uboot,
flashing a micro sd card
disabling the emmc (screws, switch off emmc, power on, light, switch on emmc
Setting it up and setting up an fydeos account then logging in with gmail
Downloading the installer
Sorted
Nice and fast
and works a treat
1 Now with Pinephone Pro (used to have Pinephone and Pinetab) cooking on Mobian - Seasoned Ubuntu user since 2007
2 Known to break things - often
3 Sometimes known to fix things then see 2 above

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which OS can I actually run a 1080p pinebook non-pro? Scott104 1 2,666 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Question FydeOS privacy policy? TDC_PBP 1 2,829 09-07-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: ImmyChan
  Black screen on both FydeOS as Chromium from github QuinTeknoLife 0 3,437 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: QuinTeknoLife
  CrOS boot from sd, now pinebook doesn't boot anymore qdoy55d9wkn8zw 7 10,772 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Does the Pinebook Pro support chromium developer mode? TDC_PBP 3 6,568 12-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: TDC_PBP