No Voice or Text on Inland Cellular (non-MVNO) but Internet Data Works!
(11-15-2020, 11:46 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Try Ooma, AXVoice, 1-voip, or any other Voip provider that offers actual phone numbers and sip service (i.e. accepts softphones). Ooma has a very inexpensive service, no adds, just the regulatory fees. AxVoice has a nice comparison of residential voip providers, slanted as to why they are the best of course. And they are highly rated. Some cable/fiber internet services still offer sip service.

If one needs inbound and outbound calls from/to PSTN, these prices look pretty good in comparison to others vendors.
https://voip.ms/en/rates/united-states

SMS, as described in the wiki, sounds pretty iffy however.

(11-16-2020, 07:39 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Without having my notes in front of me, from recollection, the problem is three-fold:

- First, the modem must support wcdma

- Second, the telephony software on the phone must be able to work with wcdma. I know Ofono does not. I'd have to look again at nmcli to be sure., but I don't think so.

<snip>
So while the G25-G supports wcdma, PinePhone as a whole does not support it, because it lacks the software for it. It seems rather moot (even misleading/confusing) to list it in the PinePhone specifications then.

Thanks again. I'm still learning.

I tested my PinePhone in the nearest H2O Cellular service locale yesterday (the big city around here). H2O worked very well with fully functional inbound and outbound voice, SMS text and 4G LTE data. I've settled on Mobian. It seemed to have the most stable mobile connection and Firefox seems to turn my PinePhone into a small electric hand warmer under Arch! I even wrote Mobian to my eMMC memory. It's too bad my H2O SIM card doesn't work anywhere near my home, but I might enable H2O autopay and then it'll cost me only $9 per three months (refills don't expire for 3 months), assuming that I don't use any appreciable data when I occasionally visit town. I think I'll drop Inland until they get VoLTE running. I don't really need to spend more money on Internet bits, because I already have unlimited bits though my WISP home service.
(11-17-2020, 02:03 AM)calinb Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:46 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Try Ooma, AXVoice, 1-voip, or any other Voip provider that offers actual phone numbers and sip service (i.e. accepts softphones). Ooma has a very inexpensive service, no adds, just the regulatory fees. AxVoice has a nice comparison of residential voip providers, slanted as to why they are the best of course. And they are highly rated. Some cable/fiber internet services still offer sip service.

If one needs inbound and outbound calls from/to PSTN, these prices look pretty good in comparison to others vendors.
https://voip.ms/en/rates/united-states

SMS, as described in the wiki, sounds pretty iffy however.

(11-16-2020, 07:39 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Without having my notes in front of me, from recollection, the problem is three-fold:

- First, the modem must support wcdma

- Second, the telephony software on the phone must be able to work with wcdma. I know Ofono does not. I'd have to look again at nmcli to be sure., but I don't think so.

<snip>
So while the G25-G supports wcdma, PinePhone as a whole does not support it, because it lacks the software for it. It seems rather moot (even misleading/confusing) to list it in the PinePhone specifications then.

Thanks again. I'm still learning.

I tested my PinePhone in the nearest H2O Cellular service locale yesterday (the big city around here). H2O worked very well with fully functional inbound and outbound voice, SMS text and 4G LTE data. I've settled on Mobian. It seemed to have the most stable mobile connection and Firefox seems to turn my PinePhone into a small electric hand warmer under Arch! I even wrote Mobian to my eMMC memory. It's too bad my H2O SIM card doesn't work anywhere near my home, but I might enable H2O autopay and then it'll cost me only $9 per three months (refills don't expire for 3 months), assuming that I don't use any appreciable data when I occasionally visit town. I think I'll drop Inland until they get VoLTE running. I don't really need to spend more money on Internet bits, because I already have unlimited bits though my WISP home service.
If you get a bar or two from H2O or another service at your house, you could always use a repeater/"range extender" with a directional antenna just to get service around your house.

When Pine64 built the Pinephone, it wasn't even a given VoLTE would work. So, it is still a possibility that cdma support may happen as more developers jump on board. To attract those developers, I think it was reasonable to state all feautures the modem is capable of. You've already got two out of three in most places, just need someone to work on the modem managers to get them to communicate with the modem correctly.
Until recently MMS was in a similar situation to (W)CDMA - the hardware was capable but the software didn't exist. Since then a few people who see MMS as a necessity have been working on it, and there's some basic software available and actively worked on. It's worth looking into what's needed to make the CDMA side work - it may be simple but not implemented simply because the dev doing that bit lived somewhere that didn't use CDMA so had no use for it or couldn't test it.
I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

I've recently switched to a non-MNVO, regional carrier -- Cellcom --, activated their SIM in my partner's Android to verify SMS/voice, but get no voice/txt/data from the Pinephone on their network. Both a rep in the store and a tech in chat confirmed that my carrier doesn't blacklist devices, but I'd be curious how to technically confirm that. (See modem comment below)

Can someone give pointers on troubleshooting non-supported carriers? I posted an issue just yesterday about how best to work with the modem & network setup to the Mobian Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/181

I'm familiar with nmcli but not mmcli because I've only worked with Ether devices, not cell devices. ... last time I worked on a modem was back in the dial-up days Smile

When I went searching on how to manually drive the modem, this doc on the modem was randomly linked but it doesn't actually discuss dialing in a carrier-specific way: https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/modem-pp.html. I'd like to manually drive the modem & network to troubleshoot and verify things, like whether a handshake is failing, or to get at a nice error back from the carrier, like: "IMEI not authorized".

FWIW: Signalboost says Cellcom uses:
3G : 700 MHz AWS 1 (CDMA2000). 800/ 1900 PCS MHz (CDMA2000). 4G : 1800 AWS MHz, Band 3 (LTE).

P.S. just found a doc by my carrier that says a) they already rolled out VoLTE and b) won't be phasing out CDMA. Assuming (a) is true, my Pinephone should be working, no?

https://www.cellcom.com/advancedcalling.html

... BTW, that doc's comment (b) on no EOL for CDMA flies at the face of what most folks say carriers are doing. These regional carriers own the towers and everything so I guess they can do what they want Smile
How to enable VoLTE

https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...s_view_all

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 638 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  how to backup user data? Uturn 1 613 08-30-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  New Zealand network providers mobile data Linux2thabone 3 3,174 08-05-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SchizoPinePhone225
  US cellular service (as I understand it as of post date) freebsd 17 8,859 07-23-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 582 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Cellular Data, Mobian - "No WWAN Adapter Found" justneedsomedatathanks 3 4,122 05-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: justneedsomedatathanks
  cell data and MMS on AT+T prepaid ossands 2 1,367 10-13-2022, 07:28 AM
Last Post: ossands
  stopped receiving text messages jyoung 11 5,804 07-29-2022, 05:36 PM
Last Post: jyoung
  Can't connect to cellular network phytocube 0 925 06-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Last Post: phytocube
Question Mobile data suddenly gone epiii2 1 1,281 05-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Last Post: epiii2