Tweak for charging through USB3 ?
Hi all,

I received my Pinephone a few days ago, installed mobian on it, and noticed I could not get the battery to fully charge while plugged to a USB3 port.
"Power supply" was showing me "Current limit : 0.5A", although I know an USB3 port can deliver much more.

So I went looking for a solution and ended up simply tweaking this current_limit by putting
Code:
into
Code:
/sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/input_current_limit

After that, yeepee! my phone is now charging a lot faster and finally approaching 100%.

But the thing is, I really don't know what I am doing there, and since I found a lot of posts about charging issues, I can't believe the solution is that simple.

So is it safe to change this input_current_limit ? Can I put that into a udev rule and consider the problem solved ? (i.e. : I can finally charge my phone simply by plugging it to my USB3 port) or do you guys see anything that can go wrong setting this input_current_limit manually ?
(11-12-2020, 11:10 AM)cafe Wrote: Hi all,

I received my Pinephone a few days ago, installed mobian on it, and noticed I could not get the battery to fully charge while plugged to a USB3 port.
"Power supply" was showing me "Current limit : 0.5A", although I know an USB3 port can deliver much more.

So I went looking for a solution and ended up simply tweaking this current_limit by putting
Code:
into
Code:
/sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/input_current_limit

After that, yeepee! my phone is now charging a lot faster and finally approaching 100%.

But the thing is, I really don't know what I am doing there, and since I found a lot of posts about charging issues, I can't believe the solution is that simple.

So is it safe to change this input_current_limit ? Can I put that into a udev rule and consider the problem solved ? (i.e. : I can finally charge my phone simply by plugging it to my USB3 port) or do you guys see anything that can go wrong setting this input_current_limit manually ?

I have no idea if what you did was safe. I did check my numbers though:
in /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/input_current_limit    it is set at 500000; in voltage_min it's 4000000; in current_max it's 1500000

When i use a pd charger (with USB type c to type c) I usually get 1.5A, but if i forget, and have the charger plugged in while I did a reboot, it has been known to either stop charging, or charging at 0.5A.  At this point I would unplug. reboot. re-plug. and it's back to 1.5 A.  

Once upon a time, after one of the updates, I did see in the app Powersupply that it was charging at 3. something A. But that was the only time, and it never went back to that number.
Thanks.

Well, I added a udev rule to trigger the change every time a usb typec cable is plugged, and so far, everything is working well.
The amperage is not limited to 500mA anymore and I can charge quickly by connecting the Pinephone directly to a USB port.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limiting battery charging to some percentage TRS-80 3 3,128 08-22-2021, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
Bug Wake up from charging problem j4n3z 11 9,178 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: j4n3z
  Manjaro convergence edition (3GB) charging/power issue Saliency 1 2,343 11-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Saliency