Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian
(03-17-2021, 02:31 PM)Pelecanus Wrote: The following worked for me:
  • Take a screenshot of the QR-code
  • Install the zbar-tools
  • Run the following command to scan the QR-code:
    zbarimg <path to the screenshot of the QR-code>
  • In Axolotl go to the settings, add a new device and paste the result of the previous step.

That is so brillant! And completely impossible to figure out by oneself.

It worked fine till the very last step, the pressing of "Add" --my Axolotl will not add the device just like it does not add any new adresses that I enter.
(03-18-2021, 11:07 AM)Anna Wrote: It worked fine till the very last step, the pressing of "Add" --my Axolotl will not add the device just like it does not add any new adresses that I enter.

Did you copy and paste the complete result - starting with "tsdevice:/?uuid="? If not, this may be the problem.
(03-18-2021, 12:30 PM)Pelecanus Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:07 AM)Anna Wrote: It worked fine till the very last step, the pressing of "Add" --my Axolotl will not add the device just like it does not add any new adresses that I enter.

Did you copy and paste the complete result - starting with "tsdevice:/?uuid="? If not, this may be the problem.

Yes.

The problem is simply that my Axolotl does not seem to save ANYthing. When I try to add a new contact and press "add" after filling in everything, the contact is not there afterwards. The same thing happened now in the "add device" case. Without that bug it would have probably worked. Maybe I should reinstall Axolotl now that I know this bug is not standard.
(03-18-2021, 02:12 PM)Anna Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 12:30 PM)Pelecanus Wrote:

Yes.

The problem is simply that my Axolotl does not seem to save ANYthing. When I try to add a new contact and press "add" after filling in everything, the contact is not there afterwards. The same thing happened now in the "add device" case. Without that bug it would have probably worked. Maybe I should reinstall Axolotl now that I know this bug is not standard.

there are still some bugs in v0.9.9, which make it sometimes hard to add contacts and link signal desktop.

have you tried to use the server/browser setup? with firefox, it is possible to link signal desktop and adding contacts, too. that workaround did it for me.

and fyi: i will definitely provide a new deb-package, when the next version is out - this time hopefully more "debian-like".

have a nice day!
(03-19-2021, 03:56 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: there are still some bugs in v0.9.9, which make it sometimes hard to add contacts and link signal desktop.

have you tried to use the server/browser setup? with firefox, it is possible to link signal desktop and adding contacts, too. that workaround did it for me.

and fyi: i will definitely provide a new deb-package, when the next version is out - this time hopefully more "debian-like".

have a nice day!

Thank you, @arno_nuehm ! Looking forward to the next version then.

Well, I installed Axolotl with a completely fresh mobian installation, but I still cannot add contacts or devices.

Where can I find more info about linking firefox with the signal desktop? Tried to figure it out, but failed.

How do you paste by the way, does that work on your phone, @Pelecanus ? (I have to attach a keyboard an use STRG V).
(03-19-2021, 06:10 AM)Anna Wrote: ...
How do you paste by the way, does that work on your phone, @Pelecanus ? (I have to attach a keyboard an use STRG V).
When your keyboard (sqeekboard) is open, press the little "world-like" symbol second from the left on the bottom row and select terminal. You get Ctl, ALt and arrows on the top row, if you push >_ on the bottom row you get all the function keys etc
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-19-2021, 06:10 AM)Anna Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 03:56 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: there are still some bugs in v0.9.9, which make it sometimes hard to add contacts and link signal desktop.

have a nice day!

Thank you, @arno_nuehm ! Looking forward to the next version then.

Well, I installed Axolotl with a completely fresh mobian installation, but I still cannot add contacts or devices.

Where can I find more info about linking firefox with the signal desktop? Tried to figure it out, but failed.

--> pasting: i'm switching to the squeekboard terminal keyboard (tap on the globe) and press strg+v - that should work.
--> contacts: that should work with the actual version, the bug was closed with 0.9.9... seems weird, that it doesn't in your case. i just tested it...
--> signal desktop: try to use the daemonized server setup with the two other desktop files, which came with the deb file (axolotl-server.desktop and axolotl-browser.desktop in /usr/share/applications) - in firefox, the linking worked for me nicely.

EDIT: from the mobian-dev telegram group: "Here I sometimes had to close the app and reopen for the app to show imported contacts. You can also check `./config/textsecure.nanuc/registeredContacts.yml`to see if they did get added there." - maybe that's the same for you, when adding new contacts.
(03-19-2021, 06:10 AM)Anna Wrote: How do you paste by the way, does that work on your phone, @Pelecanus ? (I have to attach a keyboard an use STRG V).

I use the terminal keyboard as described by dukla2000 and arno_nuehm. Maybe I should have mentioned that.

As for adding contacts: I added them via the linked desktop version, did not try to add them via Axolotl so far.

@arno_nuehm Thanks for your work on Axolotl! Looking forward to the next deb-package.
Thank you so much guys!

Wow, there is not only a terminal keyboard hidden in the squeekboard but also emojis!  Smile Big Grin Heart

However, I still cannot use the "Linked device" option -- everything, including the pasting, works fine, but when I press "add" the window remains white and no device has been added.

But there is another great improvement: I have no idea why, but now I can indeed add contacts (I could not after installing Axolotl a few hours ago. Maybe it was just me.). It's wonderful to be able to write to people now without them having to write to me first.

Yes, thank you @arno_nuehm , there has been really great progress with the installation of Axolotl!
The main problem was obviously me:

@Pelecanus's method to use the desktop app does indeed work. I was under the misconception that Axolotl would list the linked devices at the end of the procedure. It doesn't, the window remains white; the change happens in the desktop client -- so that's where one should look (which I had not).

Adding contacts seems to work as well. One just has to wait really, really long sometimes --  and refrain from closing the window.

I'm really happy with Axolotl now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM