Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian
(03-06-2021, 02:51 AM)ergo owl Wrote: ...
Just one question, how do I go about updating to newer versions when released?

If/when @arno_nuehm  makes a new .deb, then (AFAIK) the apt install mentioned on the release page should upgrade things fine. And as always backup your data as at the bottom of that page ("Personal Data" section).
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-27-2021, 06:24 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: Good news for you: Installation size is now down to ~36MB with package 0.9.8-2.

Indeed! "Usage" tells me that I have 500 MB more disk space after installing the new package.

Thank you!

I have started to use the Pinephone as a daily driver. Without Axolotl I could not have done that.
(03-09-2021, 04:25 AM)Anna Wrote: I have started to use the Pinephone as a daily driver. Without Axolotl I could not have done that.

That are really great news. Did you experience any issues when using it on more than one mobile? Last time I tried to register in Axolotl with my existing Signal account I got blocked on my iPhone...
(03-09-2021, 05:00 AM)appelgriebsch Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 04:25 AM)Anna Wrote: I have started to use the Pinephone as a daily driver. Without Axolotl I could not have done that.

That are really great news. Did you experience any issues when using it on more than one mobile? Last time I tried to register in Axolotl with my existing Signal account I got blocked on my iPhone...

Yes, I have exactly the same problem -- I have to choose between my old, (now SIM-less) Android and the Pinephone. What is more is that the Signal desktop application does not work in combination with the Pinephone (one has to photograph a QR-Code with the Signal app registered phone). But of course Signal is at fault here, not Axolotl.
Just tried the .deb-package, very nice, thank you!

Quirks I noticed so far are empty windows that open upon clicking of links, and after saving a picture there's also an empty window that stays and has to be closed manually.
(03-09-2021, 05:00 AM)appelgriebsch Wrote:

Likely to prevent MITM. 2 devices running the same could appear MITM (man in the middle/clone/intercepting messages).

For those who want to transfer use to their Pinephone for Signal (axolotl) (but not activate the sim on it) one can receive the text activation on their active phone, transferring the activation number into Pinephone Axolotl setup.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

(03-15-2021, 03:54 PM)RTP Wrote: For those who want to transfer use to their Pinephone for Signal (axolotl) (but not activate the sim on it) one can receive the text activation on their active phone, transferring the activation number into Pinephone Axolotl setup.

Thanks for your hints. Definitely make sense from security point of view... but when I try to pair axolotl on the PinePhone with the Signal app on my iPhone I got blocked as axolotl doesn’t provide the required QRcode to initiate the process (as mentioned before by Anna)... so not sure how I can set up the PinePhone in a way that it either works in addition to my iPhone, or when replacing the iPhone at least take over some settings (and hopefully existing chats)...

this is actually the major issue blocking me to use the PinePhone as a daily driver...(as most of my communications take place on Signal nowadays)
(03-09-2021, 05:51 AM)Anna Wrote: What is more is that the Signal desktop application does not work in combination with the Pinephone (one has to photograph a QR-Code with the Signal app registered phone).

I linked Signal desktop to my Pinephone (Axolotl) just today. The following worked for me:
  • Take a screenshot of the QR-code
  • Install the zbar-tools
  • Run the following command to scan the QR-code:
    zbarimg <path to the screenshot of the QR-code>
  • In Axolotl go to the settings, add a new device and paste the result of the previous step.
(03-17-2021, 02:31 PM)Pelecanus Wrote: ...
  • Take a screenshot of the QR-code

Not sure if this helps but ...
Mobian unstable upgraded megapixels to v0.15 for me.
Megapixels 0.15 will recognize a QR code in the center of the image and give you an option to go to the URL or copy the code.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-17-2021, 03:15 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Not sure if this helps but ...
Mobian unstable upgraded megapixels to v0.15 for me.
Megapixels 0.15 will recognize a QR code in the center of the image and give you an option to go to the URL or copy the code.

Great, that would reduce it to the following steps:
  • Use Megapixels to scan the QR code and copy the result
  • Add a new device in Axolotl and paste the result there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,450 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM