Mobian License
Hi

I had some problems trying to post an image of pinephone showing mobian apps. My image was removed due to: "Copyright violation: c:COM: DW of phone GUI"

MObian is GNU/Linux right? Can I take a picture of pinephone using mobian, showing apps ? or is is a Copyright violation?

The image was:
[Image: Neo-Image-0-6-20201012163717.jpg]

So, if I am free to share my photograph how can I prove it?
Thanks!

For more information, I got this answer to my complain:
The license of the operating system source code (Mobian Linux) is not necessarily the same as the icons and/or visual manifestation thereof. As an inverse example: a Firefox logo displayed on a Windows 10 desktop would not be subject to Microsoft's copyright on the latter. Do you have a link specifically addressing the status of the GUI/icons? Per COM:EVID, this is something you must provide. (""In all cases the uploader must provide appropriate evidence to demonstrate either that the file is in the public domain.")

This was my answer:
Mobian ( https://wiki.mobian-project.org/ ) is under CC Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ ). Anyone is free to "copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format ". I also mention PinePhone was running 'Mobian' cdrediting the OS.

The applications icons are part of the Mobian project: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=apps

Anything else I should mention?
Looks like someone is over-zealous here...

Basically you have to point them to every software having their icon pictured there, so:
- calls (purism)
- chatty (purism)
- epiphany (gnome)
- and so on...

All of these software as distributed as part of Debian, so they can all be modified AND redistributed, all artwork being licensed under CC licenses (or GPL/LGPL/MIT).
(10-13-2020, 03:00 AM)a-wai Wrote: Looks like someone is over-zealous here...

Basically you have to point them to every software having their icon pictured there, so:
- calls (purism)
- chatty (purism)
- epiphany (gnome)
- and so on...

All of these software as distributed as part of Debian, so they can all be modified AND redistributed, all artwork being licensed under CC licenses (or GPL/LGPL/MIT).
Great! thanks! we will add these to the defense!!
@natasha Where did you receive this complaint from?

@a-wai is correct. The free software licences present in the Debian GNU/Linux system are copyleft, lax and/or permissive (see the Free Software Guidelines).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,146 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy