Taming the power switch?
I'd like to redefine the power switch so it brings up a whiptail confirmation dialog or something like that before it actually shuts off.  Suspend could easily be added to that as another choice.

Is that possible?  I keep hitting it by accident.  I'm using the original Debian Stretch still.  Something like:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

TERM=ansi whiptail --title "Power button" --menu "Power Button" 8 20 5 \
"Turn off" "" \
"Suspend" "" \
"Cancel" ""

choice=$?
if [ $choice = 0 ]; then
  echo "Shutting down"
  shutdown now
else
  if [ $choice = 1 ]; then
    echo "Suspending"
    # write this
  else
    echo "Cancelling"
  fi
fi
I'm not sure it's actively used, this is in the mrfixit stretch, but see /etc/systemd/logind.conf.  There's even a logind.conf man page.
Fairly simple, looks like:
Code:
#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
#KillUserProcesses=no
#KillOnlyUsers=
#KillExcludeUsers=root
#InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
#HandlePowerKey=poweroff
#HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
#HandleLidSwitch=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes
#HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
#RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
#RemoveIPC=yes
#InhibitorsMax=8192
#SessionsMax=8192
#UserTasksMax=33%

I haven't really explored it yet but you can change what happens on PowerKey, SuspendKey (which is what?) and all that stuff.  Usually in this format the commented-out entries are the defaults.
To some extent, my experience is that the DE overides login.conf
In KDE, systemsettings5 does this
(power management -> button events checked -> when power button pressed dropdown)
Yes, it works.  In /etc/systemd/logind.conf set
HandlePowerKey=ignore
(reboot)

I would normally shutdown by typing "halt -p" or "shutdown now" in a terminal.  Or use the logout section of the menu.

I also have HandleLidSwitch=ignore which works mostly.  I think I lose my wifi connection or something like that, I try to set it down without closing the lid.  I usually want to be able to ssh or ftp to it.

I use LXDE for the most part. It has bugs like the clock doesn't update always.
--------------
3 days later it seems to be holding fine. I can push the power button and it's ignored. If I close the lid and put it down, when I pick it back up everything's just like I left it. Except when it reboots but that's another matter.
It's the first thing i did on my pbp (archlinux)
HandlePowerKey=ignore in logind.conf, and then i mapped it in sway.conf to a script that check the state of the screen, if it is on it turn it off, and if it off it turn it on.
This behaviour is persistent even after reboot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 667 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 786 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
  When does Pinebook Pro power LED go on? Bram 0 577 03-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bram
  Doesn’t power on after flashing emmc badguru 3 1,138 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: badguru
Heart Now better battery life or power management? KC9UDX 5 2,161 09-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro not powering on when eMMC hardware switch is off vgrimaldi 2 2,880 06-29-2021, 05:19 AM
  Replacement Power Cord recommendation? nathanielwheeler 3 3,207 01-23-2021, 06:43 PM
  power light blinking during charge when pbpro is off Idaho 0 1,756 01-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Idaho
  Power consumption and suspend to ram robt 33 42,128 11-30-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: wdt