UBPorts doesn't boot even after booting into recovery
So a couple of days ago my pinephone stopped booting into the OS after the Pine64 Logo. Today I tried this fix https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10130 and at first it seemed like it was working, booting into recovery started the installing update screen but about half way through the update my phone crashed and booting into recovery just shows the "awaiting command" screen. I obviously tried to power through with the rest of the fix but after the reboot command the phone still fails to boot.

Is my UBPorts image fucked or is there still a way to recover? If not does anyone have a good guide on how to reflash UBPorts on the Pinephone.

Greeting and Thanks
Defekto
The easiest thing to do is:

Install ubports image to an SDCard using etcher from here https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Then insert the SDCard into the phone and power on while holding the volume up and the power/sleep button.
After you get the awaiting command screen plug the phone in and flash the emmc using the ubports image.

Not sure what is wrong with your install, but it probably isn't worth the time to fix. Re-flashing is way easier. My bet is the bootloader or partition is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. You could use a command like dd to grab the first 1024KB (if the partition type is GPT) or the first 512KB (if MBR - My device is mbr) from the freshly flashed SD and try writing it to the EMMC. to see if you can get past the boot issue. OR you can Try to mount the EMMC in linux and rebuild the boot config manually. Not sure how to do that since I don't know what bootloader UBPorts is actually using.
(09-29-2020, 10:08 AM)plainenough Wrote: The easiest thing to do is:

Install ubports image to an SDCard using etcher from here https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Then insert the SDCard into the phone and power on while holding the volume up and the power/sleep button.
After you get the awaiting command screen plug the phone in and flash the emmc using the ubports image.

Not sure what is wrong with your install, but it probably isn't worth the time to fix. Re-flashing is way easier.  My bet is the bootloader or partition is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled.  You could use a command like dd to grab the first 1024KB (if the partition type is GPT) or the first 512KB (if MBR - My device is mbr) from the freshly flashed SD and try writing it to the EMMC. to see if you can get past the boot issue. OR you can Try to mount the EMMC in linux and rebuild the boot config manually.  Not sure how to do that since I don't know what bootloader UBPorts is actually using.
Good idea, I will see what I can do when booting from the SD.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,297 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  online accounts in UBports Uturn 2 4,083 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 9,344 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  How to enable Ethernet with UBPorts and convergence dock? piney-tim 1 2,955 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: piney-tim
  UBPorts Convergence MonCon 0 2,286 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: MonCon
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 17,060 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  "No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone professorsnapper 6 7,679 10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Last Post: htc_tattoo
  Dekko on UBPorts PinePhone usable? djvinniev77 13 14,960 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Last Post: yurievitch
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,568 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain