Should reputation up/down votes be removed?
Yes - remove up/down votes
56.25%
No - keep up/down votes
43.75%
32 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should we get rid of reputation up/down votes?
As per discussion in another thread, I'd like the community's input on whether we should remove users ability to up/down "reputation".
It appears that this system has been abused recently.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-25-2020, 12:28 PM)Luke Wrote: As per discussion in another thread, I'd like the community's input on whether we should remove users ability to up/down "reputation".

When I look at your "480" reputation, I see 480 "thank you"s. I think that if the system has been abused, then the abuser should lose the privilege or ability to modify reputation.

That's my minor opinion =)
(09-25-2020, 03:24 PM)hmuller Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:28 PM)Luke Wrote: As per discussion in another thread, I'd like the community's input on whether we should remove users ability to up/down "reputation".

When I look at your "480" reputation, I see 480 "thank you"s. I think that if the system has been abused, then the abuser should lose the privilege or ability to modify reputation.

That's my minor opinion =)
---------------------------------------------------------------
I'd vote for "Thank- you's" !

: )
In my personal opinion, reputation systems that allow downvotes are always easily gamed and abused, and trolls tend to use them to their advantage. Real reputation is not a number, it's a relationship, and whether the number is there or not then reputation will still exist. So I would suggest removing it unless it can be limited to upvotes only.

A user in the other thread mentioned this "thank you" plugin which may work well as a replacement: https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=360
I vote option 3: we've seen that it's not the existence of downvotes that's the problem, it's the abuse of them. Deal with the abuse, not the "reputation".
(09-25-2020, 04:45 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I vote option 3: we've seen that it's not the existence of downvotes that's the problem, it's the abuse of them.  Deal with the abuse, not the "reputation".

If you can permanently block someone (such that they can't downvote you and you can't see their posts either) then the problem disappears and the mods wouldn't even have to get involved.
Well we can't design a friendly community with the presumption that our systems must deal nicely with abuse. I firmly believe that if a user abuses the reputation system you deal with the abusing user, not the reputation system itself.

I think the ability to give negative reputation serves as an important reminder that no user is immune to negative feedback when they do bad things. If I do something bad I'd rather get a negative reputation with a short explanation, which our reputation system thankfully allow, than people silently ignoring me without explanation. When I get negative reputation (thankfully hasn't been necessary yet) I can deal with the issue and improve myself in a way that simply isn't possible otherwise.

Say for instance that I get something wrong, like really wrong, and people start taking it as advice damaging their boards. If I get public negative reputation saying "hey, this damaged my board, please don't tell people to do this" then people will know to be a bit careful before following my advice. If anything this calls for a small notice to be placed at the bottom of posts for which people have submitted reputation changes, or at least for the negative ones.

One could argue that forum posts should suffice for giving negative feedback but I think that takes away from the idea of having a reputation system; it needs to reflect the actual reputation of a user, including the bad parts.

Now that I think about it, I've seen systems without negative votes get abused for more often than systems with them. It's one of the controversial parts of Reddit for instance but it has lead to a fair degree of the community moderating itself. I've seen plenty of other sites where people start using positive votes as a measurement of how much to listen to a user, and people then exploiting the system by making lots of low quality posts likely to get a few positive votes to use as a battering ram in heavy conversations. There has to be a risk associated with making bad posts.

That's my opinion on the matter anyway but I also agree that it's a complex topic.

But I also have to ask a few questions:
  1. Is this an actual widespread problem we're having or is it something we're afraid is going to become a problem in the future?
  2. Why can't we just suspend users abusing the reputation system under the Rules -> General Guidelines -> points 2, 7 & 10?
  3. Can't moderators roll back malicious reputation changes? From what I can tell the rules should allow for it (General Guidelines point 11)?
Finally I want to end by saying it's nice to have community interaction before implementing changes like this, it's a nice refresher from other communities I've been to recently. Thank you @Luke !
It's not a widespread problem. We've actually had a number of new members giving negative feedback who didn't realise that it wasn't the normal way to do things here, and all but one (as far as I can tell) retracted the negative reputation points they had given.
Somewhere in the infinity of the the MyBB code, there must a "-1" that needs to get replaced with a "-0" so that giving a negative rating does not decrease the reputation count. How difficult can that be?

From Upload/reputation.php

Code:
// The user is trying to give a negative reputation, but negative reps have been disabled.
        if($mybb->get_input('reputation', MyBB::INPUT_INT) < 0 && $mybb->settings['negrep'] != 1)
        {
                $message = $lang->add_negative_disabled;
        if($mybb->input['nomodal'])
                {
                eval("\$error = \"".$templates->get("reputation_add_error_nomodal", 1, 0)."\";");
                }
                else
                {
                        eval("\$error = \"".$templates->get("reputation_add_error", 1, 0)."\";");
                }
                echo $error;
                exit;
        }

Are you sure that one can not disable giving negative reputations?

This 8 year old thread for an older mybb version https://community.mybb.com/thread-124436.html suggests

ACP>Configuration>settings>Reputation>Allow Negative Reputation>check no
I have only recently noticed a rash of the down voting, Seems a shame just a few could cause a change that affects potentially thousands of forum members.

The moderators likely do have a better view of the problem(s)  ?