[Need Replacement] Red LED no longer turns on, does not power on.
Yesterday, I was overcome with excitement that my pine64 finally arrived.  As soon as I was done work for the day, I went on to install linux on the system.

Well, it wasn't as easy as it should have been.  Firstly, at my own fault, I was using `dd` from mac, and it wasn't writing the disk image properly, so I switched to my windows machine and used win32 disk imager, and finally had my SD card ready.  Just as a note, I am using the debian build.

My wife and I recently picked up a used 1080p tv, and it's set up but currently not in use, so I decided I'd use that as my test monitor until I figured out how to get the touch screen working (by the way, does anyone have some hardware install instructions for the 7 inch touch screen?  I'm not super familiar with this type of connector).

Well, the screen flickered and it looked like we were ready to go.  The boot text went scrolling by, and then my TV just went blank.  The power was still on, but nothing.  I decided I'd give it another few moments, since it was first boot.  Nothing.  So I plugged in my usb keyboard, and did Ctrl+Alt+F2 to try and get to a terminal screen.  Nothing.  So I thought this could be the TV, so I unplug the HDMI from the tv.  Well, the TV remains completely blank, and doesn't revert back to the "no signal" display.

The culmination of all these events left me a little spent, so I just decided to unplug everything and I'd take a look this morning before I dug into work today.

Today, I hook everything back up, and now I don't get a red power light on the pine64 when I try and boot it up.  I turned on the TV, and it has decided to revert back to working, so I plug in the Pine64, and it immediately goes black again.

So, now I don't know if it's even booting up since there is no LED indications on the board (or on my keyboard when I plug it in ie caps/num/scroll lock don't produce lights).  What's going on?  Is my Pine64 broken after my first attempt on getting it up and running?

Looks like I'm in the same boat as OP from this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=744
(05-25-2016, 08:30 AM)iambeard Wrote: Yesterday, I was overcome with excitement that my pine64 finally arrived.  As soon as I was done work for the day, I went on to install linux on the system.

Well, it wasn't as easy as it should have been.  Firstly, at my own fault, I was using `dd` from mac, and it wasn't writing the disk image properly, so I switched to my windows machine and used win32 disk imager, and finally had my SD card ready.  Just as a note, I am using the debian build.

My wife and I recently picked up a used 1080p tv, and it's set up but currently not in use, so I decided I'd use that as my test monitor until I figured out how to get the touch screen working (by the way, does anyone have some hardware install instructions for the 7 inch touch screen?  I'm not super familiar with this type of connector).

Well, the screen flickered and it looked like we were ready to go.  The boot text went scrolling by, and then my TV just went blank.  The power was still on, but nothing.  I decided I'd give it another few moments, since it was first boot.  Nothing.  So I plugged in my usb keyboard, and did Ctrl+Alt+F2 to try and get to a terminal screen.  Nothing.  So I thought this could be the TV, so I unplug the HDMI from the tv.  Well, the TV remains completely blank, and doesn't revert back to the "no signal" display.

The culmination of all these events left me a little spent, so I just decided to unplug everything and I'd take a look this morning before I dug into work today.

Today, I hook everything back up, and now I don't get a red power light on the pine64 when I try and boot it up.  I turned on the TV, and it has decided to revert back to working, so I plug in the Pine64, and it immediately goes black again.

So, now I don't know if it's even booting up since there is no LED indications on the board (or on my keyboard when I plug it in ie caps/num/scroll lock don't produce lights).  What's going on?  Is my Pine64 broken after my first attempt on getting it up and running?

Looks like I'm in the same boat as OP from this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=744
If no LED indication,this means your power supply doesn't power the Pine A64 board.
(05-25-2016, 04:43 PM)tllim Wrote: If no LED indication,this means your power supply doesn't power the Pine A64 board.

So it's the power supply, even though I was able to get it to boot with the red LED a few times before this happened?
In my case (the OP from the other thread you referenced!) I tried quite a few power supplies including a couple that their rating was 2.5A or higher and none of them worked.

At the end they replaced the board for me.
I just ordered a power cord directly from the pine64 store, so we'll go from there, I guess. It's just weird that the cord did power up the board a few times, and still works perfectly for my raspberry pi. I did notice, however, that it is a much lower amp rating, so we'll see.
Same boat. Worked for a month, now doesn't boot. The 2nd one works just fine with the same PS so it's not the adapter. Will have to figure out if there's warranty I can use.
i thought i would mention that i have had a few cases of no power led being lit up and what i had to do was disconnect the power cord from the board then reconnect then plug the power adapter into the wall socket. usually after shutdown i can simply unplug the power adapter from socket then plug in to boot. however, for a reason i do not understand, a few times i had to unplug the cord from the board and plug it back in. might be a faulty circuit in my power supply.
(06-10-2016, 12:03 AM)dkryder Wrote: i thought i would mention that i have had a few cases of no power led being lit up and what i had to do was disconnect the power cord from the board then reconnect then plug the power adapter into the wall socket. usually after shutdown i can simply unplug the power adapter from socket then plug in to boot. however, for a reason i do not understand, a few times i had to unplug the cord from the board and plug it back in. might  be a faulty circuit in my power supply.

My guess is you unplug and plug again very fast, the capacitor on the board still hold some charge and not yet fully recharge, cause the board still thinking it is in standby mode.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,739 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  UK power supply (Pinebook Pro 64) skobi 0 2,274 11-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: skobi
  Won't power on/boot -- kickstarter A64 2GB fuzzycuffs 3 6,248 02-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  Supply DC power to Pine64 via Pi-2 Connector & Euler Bus? crapped 2 5,588 05-24-2018, 01:58 AM
Last Post: crapped
  short boot time after power-up bongo 7 9,953 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM
Last Post: bongo
  PINE64/ROCK64 infra receiver power on cserem 1 3,555 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Power supply questions montero65 36 44,951 08-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Power-on pine by remote kleintvra 1 2,800 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Chgled Power Reset rduerst 4 6,617 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Pine A64 not powering up / Power button missing vaevictis 10 13,758 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: xalius